Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2018 1:00:07 AM EDT
Anyone running a Holosun 510C over a EOTech 512? I have seen the 510C for in the low $200s and the initial reviews have been quite good. In particular the battery life, reticle, size and weight are positive attributes that make me question whether I should give it a shot over the 512? Crazy talk?
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t think it is crazy talk. I have been thinking along the same lines for a while now, for all the same reasons - battery life, weight, cost, etc. plus, the Holosun lets you switch between the circle dot reticle or just the dot — something the Eotech doesn’t offer.   Also, the Holosun has motion sensing turn on feature, which is really awesome — again, something Eotech doesn’t offer.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 2:38:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Make China great again!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Where is it in the low 200's?

I want one but not sure if i want to spend 300, which is all i can find.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anyone running a Holosun 510C over a EOTech 512? I have seen the 510C for in the low $200s and the initial reviews have been quite good. In particular the battery life, reticle, size and weight are positive attributes that make me question whether I should give it a shot over the 512? Crazy talk?
View Quote
I have both an Eotech 552 and a couple of HS510c's, and used both over the last two days.  I prefer the reticle implementation on the 510c over the Eotech.  It is a solid circle versus what looks like a series of dots in the Eotech.  It has a few features like solar power for most conditions, like when you're not shooting into a bright area from shade (one of the old issues with an ACOG), plus the ability to switch to battery power when necessary.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#5]
buddy of mine has the 510c and an EXPS2......said he had to pick one it would be the Holosun

People need to get over this "made in china" bullshit they keep talking about..........these modern optics are getting VERY good for very competitive pricing
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Says the guy who probably watches a crystal clear led TV made in China.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Been shooting the Holosun on my PCC for a little over a year. It is a better optic than the EOTech except for the flimsy mount.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Been shooting the Holosun on my PCC for a little over a year. It is a better optic than the EOTech except for the flimsy mount.
View Quote
That settles it for me.  Is the mount removable?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That settles it for me.  Is the mount removable?
View Quote
Yes, just remove the screw and replace with something else from Home Depot. That's what my buddy did.

Having said that, my newer one doesn't fall off like the older one did. Maybe they changed it recently?  Give the factory one a go and see if it'll hold. If not, swap it out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes, just remove the screw and replace with something else from Home Depot. That's what my buddy did.

Having said that, my newer one doesn't fall off like the older one did. Maybe they changed it recently?  Give the factory one a go and see if it'll hold. If not, swap it out.
View Quote
Sorry, "Home Depot?"  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I believe he is talking about the screws they come with.  They aren't the highest quality.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's a standard size screw that holds the QD mount to sight base. You can find the same screw at Home Depot, if the QD one doesn't hold.  If you buy it new, try the factory QD one first and if it doesn't fall off during recoil, it's likely good to go.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Take a look at Sig Romeo5 XDR. Has red dot and circle reticle like the eotech. Plus an auto shut off and on when it detects movement. I have one on my 300BO. Have a eotech 512 but would have chosen the sig if it was available at the time I bought the eotech. Uses a AAA battery.
Sig
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks SSet...
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I believe he is talking about the screws they come with.  They aren't the highest quality.
View Quote
Ah, thanks.  My brain read "replace with a new mount from Home Depot," and I knew that couldn't be right.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#16]
The holosun is yet another cheap ass reflex sight, powered by an LED, not a holographic sight powered by a laser like the eotech.  Of course an LED uses less power than a laser diode.  Of course there are no “swimming dots”, only laser light in a true holographic projection produces those.  If you want big parallax error in a cheap reflex sight, but at the same price as an actual holographic sight, go for the holosun. Eotech 512s were selling for under $300 when their rebate was running last fall.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
What's the size of the screw?  I'd like to get some from Home Depot.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:47:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I went ahead and ordered a Holosun 510c on 1-28-18, paid extra for priority shipping.  it shipped on 1-30-18, i didn't get the damn thing till 2-4-18 (5 days).   So thank you USPS for your fast 2 day shipping, yes it had a 2 day sticker on the box. I wanted to take it to the range on 2-3-18 to sight it in.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:36:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I went ahead and ordered a Holosun 510c on 1-28-18, paid extra for priority shipping.  it shipped on 1-30-18, i didn't get the damn thing till 2-4-18 (5 days).   So thank you USPS for your fast 2 day shipping, yes it had a 2 day sticker on the box. I wanted to take it to the range on 2-3-18 to sight it in.
View Quote
USPS has been 4-5 days late on average with their 2 day shipping for the last couple of months.

My last 2 day package took a week and a half.

I have been using UPS every chance I get even if it cost a little more and comes a day later it's still safer and quicker than USPS.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:41:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What's the size of the screw?  I'd like to get some from Home Depot.
View Quote
I can't remember offhand and lost the original picture I took from the Home Depot screw aisle. Holosun will know this though.  I would try the factory QD mount to see if it holds first.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:53:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
USPS has been 4-5 days late on average with their 2 day shipping for the last couple of months.

I have been using UPS every chance I get even if it cost a little more and comes a day later it's still safer and quicker than USPS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good to know, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:40:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I can't remember offhand and lost the original picture I took from the Home Depot screw aisle. Holosun will know this though.  I would try the factory QD mount to see if it holds first.
View Quote
Thanks, will do.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
buddy of mine has the 510c and an EXPS2......said he had to pick one it would be the Holosun

People need to get over this "made in china" bullshit they keep talking about..........these modern optics are getting VERY good for very competitive pricing
View Quote
It's the same thing with Japanese products after WWII. Japanese products were considered junk until about the mid to late 70's. Japanese optics are the shit. I remember when China started making our toys in the early 90's and most of them were shit. Fast forward to now and they make some of the coolest products and gadgets, like my DJI Mavic drone.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a 512 and a Holosun 515CU and without a doubt, with all things considered, would take the Holosun all day long for what I use my rifles for. More features, way cleaner/clearer reticle and the price is hard to beat. All of my friends who have used both my 512 and my 515CU prefer the Holosun.

Now if I was being dropped into a war zone, I'd probably take the 512. It's not to say that the Holosun's are prone to breaking. In fact, if you look at torture tests done on youtube, they actually are pretty damn tough.

The QD mount that it comes with is definitely the weak link on the Holosun. You can always put a better mount on it though. I have not had any issues with my mine as the 515CU is used on my CZ scorpion carbine and is my "plinking/fun" gun.

Not all things made in China are created equal. I've bought plenty of shit made in the USA......unfortunately
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a 512 and a Holosun 515CU and without a doubt, with all things considered, would take the Holosun all day long for what I use my rifles for. More features, way cleaner/clearer reticle and the price is hard to beat. All of my friends who have used both my 512 and my 515CU prefer the Holosun.

Now if I was being dropped into a war zone, I'd probably take the 512. It's not to say that the Holosun's are prone to breaking. In fact, if you look at torture tests done on youtube, they actually are pretty damn tough.

The QD mount that it comes with is definitely the weak link on the Holosun. You can always put a better mount on it though. I have not had any issues with my mine as the 515CU is used on my CZ scorpion carbine and is my "plinking/fun" gun.

Not all things made in China are created equal. I've bought plenty of shit made in the USA......unfortunately
View Quote
Especially shit made in the USA where Unions are heavily involved.

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The holosun is yet another cheap ass reflex sight, powered by an LED, not a holographic sight powered by a laser like the eotech.  Of course an LED uses less power than a laser diode.  Of course there are no “swimming dots”, only laser light in a true holographic projection produces those.  If you want big parallax error in a cheap reflex sight, but at the same price as an actual holographic sight, go for the holosun. Eotech 512s were selling for under $300 when their rebate was running last fall.
View Quote
This. I don't think people can wrap their heads around the fact that simple red dots and holos are two totally different technologies. A laser diode consumes much more energy and Eotech sites are not simple; hence why it has been so easy for small Chinese companies to emulate the RD technology and take over the market, but yet Chinese companies making TRUE holo sights are practically non-existent.

And one thing that simply boggles my mind when I hear people talk about it is the Eotech reticle not being solid. I have no idea how this is an issue for people when I never notice it due to the fact that I'm looking at the TARGET when shooting, NOT the reticle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
And one thing that simply boggles my mind when I hear people talk about it is the Eotech reticle not being solid. I have no idea how this is an issue for people when I never notice it due to the fact that I'm looking at the TARGET when shooting, NOT the reticle.
View Quote
I guess it's personal, but my eye/brain just picks up the solid 510c reticle better than the 552 one, and yes, I'm looking at the targets.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And is writing his post on a computer made in China or maybe on a tablet or smartphone made in China... the unavoidable list goes on and on and on...
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't think people can wrap their heads around the fact that simple red dots and holos are two totally different technologies. A laser diode consumes much more energy and Eotech sites are not simple; hence why it has been so easy for small Chinese companies to emulate the RD technology and take over the market, but yet Chinese companies making TRUE holo sights are practically non-existent.
View Quote
My head is wrapped completely around the idea.  :-)

Tell me, though, other than using two different optical techniques to generate an aiming point, what difference does it make and how are those differences in favor of the holographic sight?

If cost, complexity, low power consumption and reliability are all in favor of an LED, perhaps the reason there's no Chinese (or other competitors) in the market is because it does not make economic sense.

Please explain.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Tell me, though, other than using two different optical techniques to generate an aiming point, what difference does it make and how are those differences in favor of the holographic sight?

If cost, complexity, low power consumption and reliability are all in favor of an LED, perhaps the reason there's no Chinese (or other competitors) in the market is because it does not make economic sense.

Please explain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think people can wrap their heads around the fact that simple red dots and holos are two totally different technologies. A laser diode consumes much more energy and Eotech sites are not simple; hence why it has been so easy for small Chinese companies to emulate the RD technology and take over the market, but yet Chinese companies making TRUE holo sights are practically non-existent.

Please explain.
The primary advantage of a true holographic sight is that there is less parallax error than with any other style. Aimpoint have the worst parallax of just about anything out there, and eotech the least/best.

https://www.greeneyetactical.com/2017/07/27/comparative-study-of-red-dot-sight-parallax/

In other words, the promise of “where the dot is, the bullet goes” only really applies to the eotech, the others are dependent on head, face, and eye position just as much as irons are.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#31]
EOTech. I know they have lots of detractors and bad press but they were used to clear many a room in Iraq. The battery life isn’t great, o well. Put a battery in the pistol grip for a backup. I’m not a Holosun hater, I have one on my HD Tavor, and my wife has an EOTech on her AR. I LOVE THE Holosun optics but I definitely prefer EOTech for serious use.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:07:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The primary advantage of a true holographic sight is ...
View Quote
Thank you, that was good to read.

Why can an LED not be made to behave similarly?  If the LED is at the focal point of its projection lens, the red dot will appear to be at infinity and should not "move" more than 0.56 MOA at 100 yards ( = 1/2 * tube diameter / range) with head position (parallax error).

I'll have to think some more about this.  I will also be checking my EOTechs and Aimpoint to see if they behave as expected.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:09:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
EOTech. I know they have lots of detractors and bad press but they were used to clear many a room in Iraq. The battery life isn’t great, o well. Put a battery in the pistol grip for a backup. I’m not a Holosun hater,... but I definitely prefer EOTech for serious use.
View Quote
My troubles with EOTechs were numerous (I have 3).  I have lost confidence in them.  The failures weren't due to short battery life.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The primary advantage of a true holographic sight is that there is less parallax error than with any other style. Aimpoint have the worst parallax of just about anything out there, and eotech the least/best.

https://www.greeneyetactical.com/2017/07/27/comparative-study-of-red-dot-sight-parallax/

In other words, the promise of “where the dot is, the bullet goes” only really applies to the eotech, the others are dependent on head, face, and eye position just as much as irons are.
View Quote

The only way I know to make a reticle truly "parallax-free" is to place its image in the plane of the target.  Then again, I don't know that much.

This is done in higher priced telescopic sights when there is no relative motion.  It is a process.  If the target or the scope moves to a different distance, you will again have parallax errors and need to readjust the optic.

I would bet most makers place an image of the LED at infinity (or as far out as they can get within practical limits) and call it good.  Parallax errors would then be limited by the optic diameter.

When they claim to be "parallax-free", they mean the non-magnifying optics do not add any error above and beyond that caused by the geometry.  This is known as "marketing hype".
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I have an EOTech 512, EOTech XPS2-2, and  Holosun HS510C. The Holosun is a recent purchase and I have limited experience, so far. I still prefer the EOTech to a Holosun sight, but I am very satisfied with the Holosun HS510C. If I had any criticism of the Holosun, it would be that the reticle cannot be adjusted as bright as an EOTech. The Holosun represents a great value, for the money you pay. Will I buy another Holosun? Absolutely. Will I buy another EOTech?Probably, but I 'll have to save up the funds.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have an EOTech 512, EOTech XPS2-2, and  Holosun HS510C. The Holosun is a recent purchase and I have limited experience, so far. I still prefer the EOTech to a Holosun sight, but I am very satisfied with the Holosun HS510C. If I had any criticism of the Holosun, it would be that the reticle cannot be adjusted as bright as an EOTech.
View Quote
Sorry, I hate to ask a stupid question, but are you running the 510c on the default solar mode or off the battery?  There's a large difference in brightness between the two.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
What do you work for eotech?

I concur with others in here the holosun is superior.  I have had a holosun for over a year and owned an eotech for a couple years.  I leave the holosun on all the time and it works great.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#38]
My Holosun gets way brighter than my 512, even in auto/solar mode.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top