Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2021 1:18:02 AM EDT
I'm wondering if anyone else has very recently purchased an EOTECH EXPS3-0 Tan and experienced a fuzzy reticle? I just received my second unit in 2 weeks and both reticles are fuzzy. Both the round circle and center dot look like the surface of the sun or a "burning man" image. I returned the first unit and ordered a second unit from another store. I've heard that an astigmatism can make red dots and holographic reticles look fuzzy or similar to what I've described. It's possible something's going on with my eyes. However, I can see a crisp circle and dot in a Holosun red dot I own, and 4 other family members looked through both Eotech's and each one sees a similar "burning reticle".

Also, I've heard that if you take a picture of a reticle and the image looks fuzzy or burning, then that eliminates your eyes as a source of the problem??

If it is the reticle I'm sure Eotech will take care of it, just wondering if others are experiencing this.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:36:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an  astigmatism and this same model. The reticle is fuzzy for me. Friends w/o an astigmatism have never said anything. Most red dots look like a slash to me, not a crisp dot like most people see.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:37:45 AM EDT
[#2]
With EOTechs if you focus on the reticle it will look like that.  When you look through it, at your target, it will clear up.  But the EOTech reticle is made of lots of small lasers to make the reticle, that’s why it’s not a single image like a red dot which uses a single LED.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:41:18 AM EDT
[#3]
A holographic and a red dot are two completely different optics. Your Holosun red dot will be more crisp since it is one emitter reflecting off one surface. Holographic sights scatter and reflect multiple times to be projected. There’s going to be a fuzziness by design. Turn down your brightness and keep both eyes open.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:52:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A holographic and a red dot are two completely different optics. Your Holosun red dot will be more crisp since it is one emitter reflecting off one surface. Holographic sights scatter and reflect multiple times to be projected. There's going to be a fuzziness by design. Turn down your brightness and keep both eyes open.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:53:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting information. Maybe it could be my eyes making all the dots of light look exaggerated. If that's the case the reticle is pretty unusable for me. Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:58:48 AM EDT
[#6]
That's interesting. I'm guessing it could be my eyes making a slightly fuzzy reticle design much more so. Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:02:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Interesting! Do you still use the sight even though it's fuzzy? Is it something you get used to? Any troubles zeroing it because of the fuzziness?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:07:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Interesting! Do you still use the sight even though it's fuzzy? Is it something you get used to? Any troubles zeroing it because of the fuzziness?
View Quote
It shouldn't be so fuzzy that you struggle to pick it up or place the center dot where you want for more precise shots and zero'ing.

As others have said, it's not going to be red dot crisp, but it shouldn't be a circular blur by any means. If you have a bad astigmatism, that could cause issues (though it would likely cause issues with a red dot as well).
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:13:32 AM EDT
[#9]
What’s your build on date? I just received mine today, build date 11/20 and it clearly looks to be a we issue. Greasy residue inside the glass appears to be making the reticle fuzzy on mine(it is not as clear as my older black expos which is about 8 years old but still fuzzy due to my astigmatism) and there’s some debris in the lower left hand corner inside the glass.

Maybe the inspector was in a rush to get out for the holiday but definitely needs to go back
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:19:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I have both Eotechs and Holosuns. Holosuns are much clearer because they aren’t not holograms. Very different design internally.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#11]
It’s going to look like this when you are looking at it and playing around with it inside. Once you go outside and use it, it’s going to be fine. Focusing on the target, as it’s designed to be used, eliminates this. Also, the aiming point is a single dot regardless, so I really don’t get how it’s unusable. This is how the optic is designed, and if you use the optic as designed, it’s fine. The EoTech has its share of drawbacks, especially historically, but this isn’t one of them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Once again it is obvious that most people have no clue how a holographic sight creates and projects the reticle image...let alone what to expect when they first lay eyes on a holographic reticle.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#13]
It is normal for them to look fuzzy. In fact, one of the giveaways of a fake unit is that they are NOT fuzzy. What's amazing to me is how they crisp up under magnification.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:07:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Kind of same boat here OP. I seem to have developed an astigmatism in the last year or so. Probably had it longer, but it seems like it's gotten a lot worse.

My Aimpoints in the past all looked pretty crisp. Went about a year without using any of them (used to use them a lot). Got my first NV device this past year. Sold an H1 and bought a T2 used on the EE. When I got it I couldn't believe how far the quality had fallen. That dot looked like a comet. Eventually realized it wasn't the sight. My other Micros and full size Aimpoints looked similar.

I've since picked up an EXPS3-4 and 3-0. Same deal with those. It's worse in my right eye than the left. They look better through the NV.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It is normal for them to look fuzzy. In fact, one of the giveaways of a fake unit is that they are NOT fuzzy.
View Quote

Ha, that's funny
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top