Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2021 1:20:23 PM EDT
Hi all,

I have a dumb build idea and I want some feedback.  I recently purchased a KP-15 receiver.  I kinda want to drop in a Franklin Binary BFSIII AR-S1.  I've heard that installing/removing a selector that is NOT KE brand can be difficult.  But how difficult?  I haven't been able to find anyone who's tried.  Any feedback/anecdotes would be greatly appreciated.

Anyways the build I had in mind, the plastic tank:

• KP-15 lower

• Franklin Binary trigger

• JP SCS buffer

• MUR Upper

• Spikes 14.5 CHF barrel with an A2 FSB (midlength)

• Pin and weld a Forward Controls 6315KM (I have a sandman)

• Magpul SL Midlength handguard

• Romeo 8T

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to use their pins because the plastic is thicker, but I dont see any issues other wise.

Recoil TV converted one to select fire I believe.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have to use their pins because the plastic is thicker, but I dont see any issues other wise.

Recoil TV converted one to select fire I believe.

View Quote

You can use standard trigger and hammer pins, but the hammer pin will not be flush because the receiver is thicker in that area. The KE Arms pins sit flush and look better.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
No first-hand experience, but if you scroll down on this page, there's a video that shows how the KP15-ready safeties are removed.

https://www.brownells.com/guntech/wwsd2020/detail.htm?lid=17958

I'm guessing that removing a standard safety would require drilling through the selector, but without damaging the polymer.

Someone suggested you could KP15-ize any other safety selector by adding the chamfer or bevel that's found on the KP15 safeties.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]
You can chamfer an existing safety w/ a Dremel, or you can drill the safety detent channel all the way through and use a hex grub screw to adjust tension on the safety detent spring.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top