Bullet Weight: 50 grain
Bullet Style: V-MAX, Polymer Tip BT
Muzzle Velocity: 3,300 FPS
Muzzle Energy: 1,208 ft.-lbs.

Case Type: Brass
Primer Type: Boxer
Corrosive: No

Barrel: PSA FN 1:7 twist 16 inch 5.56

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just looking to zero my Red Dot at 100 yards and call it good. I have heard going 45 can damage the twist some how in a 1:7 twist barrel and have seen 50 is the lowest. I am looking for ammo either 5.56 or .223 that doesn't cost beyond .70 / round and is lead less (Green ammo). I know people like to chew on lead because " I r not gurt harm" but If I am to have to clean my rifle around my family, I would like to know I am trying to reduce the amount of lead in the house. I intend on shooting outdoors because I have read a lot of indoor shooting ranges cut corners and of course they are closed due to COVID. I understand this is the worst time to buy because people think Marshall law is coming so they are buying all the ammo up. Unsure what they intend on doing as even if there is Marshall law/Zombies/aliens/lizard men/ WW3/ Planet Z/ Secret Moon People/ Asteroid coming/ Manbearpig etc, how will stalking up on ammo help. Anyway, yeah just looking, I would love to buy Winchester 62 Grain Q3315 Lead Free ammo, but sold out.

Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#1]
What is your question?

Can you shoot light and fast ammo in your 1 in 7 twist rifle?

Yes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I forget where I seen it but there was a thread on here that shooting ammo that is too fast can somehow be bad. I dont know just wanted to check.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]
That is cookin velocity-wise but a 50gr pill will do that.

Just so we're clear, if you were to use that round against zombies, it would likely explode when it meets zombie tissue/bone and fail to penetrate adequately. Id opt for something heavier with a bonded design or open tip.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is cookin velocity-wise but a 50gr pill will do that.

Just so we're clear, if you were to use that round against zombies, it would likely explode when it meets zombie tissue/bone and fail to penetrate adequately. Id opt for something heavier with a bonded design or open tip.
View Quote

You are awesome hehe. I would love a higher grain but hard to find. I might be paranoid about the lead bit but had lead poisoning once and it sucked ass.

TMI, It sucks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:22:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You are awesome hehe. I would love a higher grain but hard to find. I might be paranoid about the lead bit but had lead poisoning once and it sucked ass.

TMI, It sucks.
View Quote
Copper monolithics would help with the lead issue, but they're pricey and not particularly accurate. Terminal performance wise, they'll do a lot better than a varmint bullet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:42:59 AM EDT
[#6]
The bullet won't hurt your gun. Lead free ammo can be tough to find for decent prices but it's out there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:16:31 AM EDT
[#7]
The V-max is not a lead free bullet, but the lead is fully enclosed, so really no chance of touching it.

I found that the 50gr Fiocchi V-max was one of the most accurate factory loads out of my 1:8 DPMS MK12 barrel; it was consistently around 1MOA.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The V-max is not a lead free bullet, but the lead is fully enclosed, so really no chance of touching it.

I found that the 50gr Fiocchi V-max was one of the most accurate factory loads out of my 1:8 DPMS MK12 barrel; it was consistently around 1MOA.
View Quote

This.  I've had great results with the Fiocchi 50V in my 1:8 Rainier barrel. Definitely good for 1MOA with a quality barrel.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#9]
when you are cleaning your gun you are not messing with the lead, you are trying to get the copper fouling out of the barrel from the bullet and any powder residue.

as stated earlier lighter wt bullets still have lead in them.

shooting light fast bullets in your twist won't hurt the barrel

if you shoot them too fast the lightly constructed bullets may not make it to the target if the twist is too fast.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you everyone for the replies. A lot of mull over and look at more options :).
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
when you are cleaning your gun you are not messing with the lead, you are trying to get the copper fouling out of the barrel from the bullet and any powder residue.

if you shoot them too fast the lightly constructed bullets may not make it to the target if the twist is too fast.
View Quote

All that powder fouling is full of lead from the priming compound and possibly from the bullet if it's open.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

All that powder fouling is full of lead from the priming compound and possibly from the bullet if it's open.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes, i was not thinking about the open end of the projectile.

but following simple handwashing after all the cleaning is done, you should not have to worry about contamination.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a bunch of the Fed ammo using the 50gr V-Max bullet with the grey plastic tip. Shoots great. Some of the most accurate ammo that I bought maybe 10 years ago when PSA was dumping it for $5.99 per box or something like that. Gave me numerous sub MOA groups. All I shot it in is 1X7 twist with great results.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 6:13:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Lead in the bullets is a 100% non issue, especially on bullets that are copper jacketed and closed on the base.

The VAST majority of lead poisoning is from the PRIMER, not the bullet. If you use regular primers and copper bullets you will still have almost all the lead contamination of regular ammo because solid lead is not a big deal. The lead compounds from the primer ARE. The only thing you really should care about is avoiding lead styphanate primers.

And yes, being concerned with just cleaning your rifle that shot standard ammo around your family is moronic and laughable.  SHOOTING lead styphanate primed rounds around your family or possibly using a vibratory tumbler indoors could be a concern, but unless you are feeding your family your used cleaning patches or cleaning your rifle on the family cutting board, they are not at ANY risk from you cleaning your AR that shot standard ammo.

And please dont zero a red dot at 100 yards... zero at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#15]
That is smoking fast out of a 16" barrel and may or may not shoot well as far as groupings but if you are questioning if bullet weight will damage your barrel, put simply no. Ive shot handloaded 45 gr Hornet bullets out of a colt 20" 1:7 with fairly good results. Are the lighter bullets ideal for 1:7? No. Will it hurt anything? Not in of itself.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#17]
OP, 35 grn bullets out of a 20" 1:7" twist bbl will explode before they hit the target b/c they're spinning so fast, but it won't hurt the bbl any.  50 grains will work fine.  If you handload, you can go to lead free primers as well.

How did you get lead poisoning and how did they cure you?  Shake you upside down till all the lead fell out?  
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP, 35 grn bullets out of a 20" 1:7" twist bbl will explode before they hit the target b/c they're spinning so fast, but it won't hurt the bbl any.  50 grains will work fine.  If you handload, you can go to lead free primers as well.

How did you get lead poisoning and how did they cure you?  Shake you upside down till all the lead fell out?  
View Quote

No, not necessarily.  
I've shot 55grain Hornady SX bullets that immediately spun apart.
I've shot STOUT 31 grain bullets just fine...…

It's the construction of the bullet that matters......
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No, not necessarily.  
I've shot 55grain Hornady SX bullets that immediately spun apart.
I've shot STOUT 31 grain bullets just fine...…

It's the construction of the bullet that matters......
View Quote

True, that and the rotational velocity.  I'd love to sling some hot 31 grn from my daughter's 1:9" 27".
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Did the OP chrony the load or is the data the manufacturers?  3300 fps from a 16 inch barrel sounds pretty fast, even with a 50 grain projectile.

Paladin

ETA: factory Win 45 JHP's went 3379 from my 20 inch 1/7 Colt HBAR.  Published spec for the load is 3600 fps.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:19:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Did the OP chrony the load or is the data the manufacturers?  3300 fps from a 16 inch barrel sounds pretty fast, even with a 50 grain projectile.

Paladin

ETA: factory Win 45 JHP's went 3379 from my 20 inch 1/7 Colt HBAR.
View Quote

Not the OP but those look to be factory specs, not anything the OP chrono'd.
This is a theoretical  conversation......
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:10:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Not sure what you plan to specifically use the ammo for, but 50gr V-MAX is complete garbage when fired into a human being.  It fails all FBI BRF testing protocols.  It’s a varmint round made for killing 3lb rodents and punching holes in paper.  Use accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By UnaStamus:
Not sure what you plan to specifically use the ammo for, but 50gr V-MAX is complete garbage when fired into a human being.  It fails all FBI BRF testing protocols.  It’s a varmint round made for killing 3lb rodents and punching holes in paper.  Use accordingly.
View Quote

Yup, we were aware of that. Everyone knows to heavier grains for defense. Was going to be used for zeroing and paper.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Your zero is for a specific load only.  Change the load, rezero.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#25]
With FMJ centerfire ammo you really don't have any lead issues to worry about, especially if shooting out doors.

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By eye-gor:  With FMJ centerfire ammo you really don't have any lead issues to worry about, especially if shooting out doors.
View Quote

TMJ or lead-free ammo.  FMJ has an exposed lead core that allows some lead to evaporate, coating the inside of the bbl, muzzle device, and any area forward of the muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:48:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yup, we were aware of that. Everyone knows to heavier grains for defense. Was going to be used for zeroing and paper.
View Quote
I'd recommend doing your zero with whatever ammo you plan to use for defensive purposes. If your plinking load is off by an inch or three as a result, that's a tradeoff I'd accept without hesitation.

Example: 77gr POI is several inches away from my 62gr plining load. I zero for 77gr and it either doesn't matter within 50 yards, or I just deal with it if I'm using plinking ammo at longer range (in which case it's probably not accurate enough to matter anyways). Just a thought.

ETA I'm not sure what you plan to use for HD but a lot of the bonded soft points aren't ultra accurate to begin with. In that case, you could probably just zero with a 55 or 62gr plinking load and carry on. The above is more germane to heavy OTMs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:31:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Good point, I found 55 grain ammo and plan to HD with 62 Grain, been looking at the MOD 1 a lot.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Good point, I found 55 grain ammo and plan to HD with 62 Grain, been looking at the MOD 1 a lot.
View Quote
MK318 MOD1? That's good stuff, use it with confidence. Don't expect it to be an MOA bullet, but other than that it's certainly upper tier ammo.

A seller in the EE has some for sale I think. No affiliation with him but he's GTG, I've bought brass from him in the past.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#30]
OP:
Between this and the other thread you started:

Lead contamination:
-if you are shooting in your house for SD, you have larger problems than the lead from the few shots you will make.

-if you are concerned about lead contamination in the house from cleaning firearms.... don't clean them in the house:  do it outside, in the garage or at the range.
(Me personally wouldn't worry about it as long as you get rid of the rags and patches properly).

The 2 main sources of lead from a fired gun are the exposed lead base of the bullet and the primer.  
Yes you can shoot bullets that don't have an exposed base, are lead free or are TMJ but only lead free primers will eliminate that part of it....

So if you really want to eliminate all lead exposure.... you need lead free primers too.....  

PS:  Depending on your zero-shooting distances..... your zero's between practice and the HD ammo could very well be off quite a bit.....

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:51:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TGH456E:

No, not necessarily.  
I've shot 55grain Hornady SX bullets that immediately spun apart.
I've shot STOUT 31 grain bullets just fine...…

It's the construction of the bullet that matters......
View Quote

Dad used to shoot woodchucks with a Sako 222. It was 1in14. He was using Hornady 50gn SX
bullets in it to great effect. He gave some to his pal who loaded some up for his 220 Swift.
 I was at the range when they tried the loads. The gun went baBoom. There was a clear double
report. Nothing reached the target. The bullet came completely apart about 3 feet from the muzzle.
He aimed it at a dandelion 3 feet away and the plant disappeared! One of the coolest things
I have ever seen. The much higher velocity of the Swift was too much RPM.

But the sound! The Swift was much louder than the 222 normally but that day it sounded so strange.

Good times.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JcrawArmyVet:
Yeah, I forget where I seen it but there was a thread on here that shooting ammo that is too fast can somehow be bad. I dont know just wanted to check.
View Quote

I once pushed light varmint bullets out of a 1-7 twist barrel at a ridiculous (and probably dangerous) speed. Projectile came apart not too far downrange.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top