Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/28/2020 9:52:34 AM EDT
So I recently found out how terrible it is to let the hammer drop when the rifle is taken apart. I just got my first Springfield edge the other day and its my first rifle and saw a video on how to take it apart as I wanted to learn how to do it, and it showed them dropping the trigger on the lower alone so I thought it was fine. I got really fascinated by it lol and did it quite a few times I wouldn't say more than 10 I can't remember but THEN I found out how AWFUL it is so I immediately checked my bolt catch which seemed to be perfectly fine and functioned and the lower was not bent or cracked so I think everything is fine? I obviously will never do this again but is there anything I should be worried about? No physical damage seems to be done other than a cosmetic scratch on the bolt catch and a cosmetic scratch on the hammer from dry firing it I think but nothing serious. Just wanted to get anyone else opinion without getting ripped on lmao.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:13:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Its fine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its fine.
View Quote
Quit doing it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quit doing it.
View Quote

That too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, quit doing it.  Some people might do it once and have it break, some might do it 100 times and not have it break, better just not to do it.

Do you have a link to the video?  Is it from the manufacturer or from someone who was reviewing the rifle on YT?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you tried using Snap Caps? Those fake aluminum bullets with a rubber center where the primer is so the firing pin has something to hit? I use those to practice pulling the trigger when the rifle is fully assembled. I saw on the YOuTube that letting the hammer drop on the lower was bad so I've never done it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Squirrel Daddy makes a block that you can put in the lower allowing the hammer to fall without hitting the lower.

https://www.squirreldaddy.com/AR-Trigger-pull-hammer-test-block-p/20-104.htm

Or, with the lower separated, just hold your thumb above the hammer to catch it before it goes all the way forward and hits the lower.  That’s the simple and cheap way to check your trigger.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#7]
it was a rifle review, can't remember where and who but was showing how such light weight is needed to set the trigger off
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:57:00 PM EDT
[#8]
So, it wasn't a "thing" to set a firing pin on the bare lower and shoot it into the ceiling by pulling the trigger?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, quit doing it.  Some people might do it once and have it break, some might do it 100 times and not have it break, better just not to do it.

Do you have a link to the video?  Is it from the manufacturer or from someone who was reviewing the rifle on YT?
View Quote

it was a rifle review, can't remember where and who but was showing how such light weight is needed to set the trigger off
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have you tried using Snap Caps? Those fake aluminum bullets with a rubber center where the primer is so the firing pin has something to hit? I use those to practice pulling the trigger when the rifle is fully assembled. I saw on the YOuTube that letting the hammer drop on the lower was bad so I've never done it.
View Quote

So it's unsafe and bad to dry fire even when fully assembled?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:17:48 AM EDT
[#11]
What would break or crack?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Centerfire rifles are fine, since the firing pin would just hit air if no cartridge is in the chamber. Whatever you do, don't dry fire rimfires as that can damage the firing pin/chamber since the firing pin hits it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:39:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Centerfire rifles are fine, since the firing pin would just hit air if no cartridge is in the chamber. Whatever you do, don't dry fire rimfires as that can damage the firing pin/chamber since the firing pin hits it.
View Quote

oh ok thanks brotha
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:16:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So, it wasn't a "thing" to set a firing pin on the bare lower and shoot it into the ceiling by pulling the trigger?
View Quote

Do what? Lol.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:09:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Won't hurt it at all to dry fire when fully assembled.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quit doing it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:00:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I do not drop the hammer on a lower, on purpose, a few times by accident.  As far as dry firing, dont make it a practice, but after many years of firearms, close to 50, never had a issue.  Like someone said, dont do this with a .22 RF.

Bronc
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Dry fire is fine. When I was in boot camp way back, we would get in a circle and dry fire at 50 gal. drums with miniature silhouettes painted on them. They called it “snapping in”. Not sure if this is still a thing.

Always heard trigger strikes on a separated lower was a no go.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

The lower itself , where hammer hits.

Like mentioned, dont do it
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where the steel hammer strikes the aluminum receiver.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Good to ask but don't do it anymore.  It's like taking
a hammer to an aluminum bat.  Bat will lose
everytime.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it is the Army and Marine Corps sure are ruining a bunch of M4s every day . . .
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:39:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

The issue with the lower only, is that it slaps the receiver. When the rifle is assembled, dry fire usually doesn’t harm a modern firearm BUT snap caps are a good investment and you should have them- for any gun you own.

You can safely dry fire, reload, practice malfunctions, etc. That practice time is invaluable to getting better. The $10 investment pays back mightily when you can run your weapon with confidence and keep the sights perfectly still through the trigger break. 15 min a day with snap caps makes you a MUCH better shooter.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I do not drop the hammer on a lower, on purpose, a few times by accident.  As far as dry firing, dont make it a practice, but after many years of firearms, close to 50, never had a issue.  Like someone said, dont do this with a .22 RF.

Bronc
View Quote

You should absolutely make it a practice.  Dry fire is excellent training.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#26]
you probably shouldn't drop the hammer on the lower as hardened steel + aluminum = bad. The aluminum is pretty darn hard though, so you're probably good.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By sparky923:
So, it wasn't a "thing" to set a firing pin on the bare lower and shoot it into the ceiling by pulling the trigger?
View Quote

Uhhh, kinda curious
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Rookie Move !!!

Live & Learn

Move on.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 5:01:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quit doing it.
View Quote

This, please dont drop on a separated lower....

There is a lot of energy in the hammer, more that you think.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I've done this with my AR-180 on accident and just about had a heart attack... your AR-15 should be fine though
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll add another precaution about lowers. When it's separated from the upper, put the safety on and push in the takedown pins. If it's dropped with the pins out it's possible to do some real damage.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've done this with my AR-180 on accident and just about had a heart attack... your AR-15 should be fine though
View Quote

Ouch.  Dropping the hammer on an Armalite AR-180 could damage the bolt hold open latch.  That part is very susceptible to damage and as with many Armalite AR-180 parts is very difficult to come by.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top