Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/12/2022 11:00:15 PM EDT
I'm new to AR's so forgive my ignorance. While cleaning my bolt, I dropped it on a concrete floor. I believe it landed on the tail that slides into the smaller hole in the bolt carrier. There does not appear to be any damage as far as bending or scratching. It slipped out of my hand and fell from about 4 feet high. The bolt seems to function properly once I cleaned it up and reinstalled it. I am concerned that it may have damaged the bolt making the rifle dangerous to fire. Is this overthinking it? If the bolt fails, is it a dangerous situation?
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]
If there’s no visible damage and the bolt cycles easily without ammo, it is fine.
Blast away.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Inspect it thoroughly.  I doubt you’ll have any issues though.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 12:26:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The main risk to damage is dropping it on the gas key.
View Quote

I dropped the bolt itself, out of the carrier. I'm going to inspect it again and try it. I was surprised when I picked it up and didn't find an obround tail., it landed pretty hard.  The thing I'm worried most about is fracturing that I may not see causing a catastrophic failure.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 1:18:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Honestly , if you’re that worried, $75 for a new bolt and you’re ability to sleep at night, just buy a new one.  

But I highly doubt you’re gonna have a problem.

When I was a little younger, I was so anal about everything , that I would lose sleep over shit like this too.   I’ve since realized that it’s not worth losing sleep over physical things and have learned to let it go.   Either shoot the thing or buy a new one and be done with it.  My kids keep me up at night enough as it is lol.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:08:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 8:35:33 AM EDT
[#7]
It slams into a steel barrel extension at least once every shot.

A drop on cement oughta be ok..
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably the only damage was to the concrete...
That's OK, doubt the grain of salt size chip will cause your floor to fail.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Lighted magnifier

People say just to look at it for damage.  Ok.  With a naked eye?  Not so much.

What you need, if you don't already have one, is a lighted magnifier of some sort.  In context, clean this bolt to bare metal.  (Probably brings up another thread.)  Then with good light and at least 2x magnification, examine it.

My guess is you won't find any damage.  But I will give you two ideas.  First, put that thing in a nice box and give it to your brother in law at Christmas.  Second, buy yourself a new complete bolt and new cam pin.  Designate the dropped bolt as a spare.

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 6:32:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't worry. I think I've abused a bolt, carrier, and rifle in about every way imaginable and damage that makes them unsafe is usually pretty obvious. If it looks fine, clean it up and run it. If every Army private that ever dropped a bolt replaced it we'd have a national debt that Brandon would be embarrassed by.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 6:38:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll bet 75% of the M16/M4s in the Army's inventory have had a bolt or carrier hit the floor at some point.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#14]
HPT/MPI.

And now EDT. (Elevated drop test).
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 3:09:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Just an update for anyone in the future searching this. I have run about 100 rounds through the bolt since dropping it. I have seen no change in the function of the rifle (still works great). I plan on inspecting it in the next few days when I get a chance to clean it again.

Thanks for the help everyone
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It slams into a steel barrel extension at least once every shot.

A drop on cement oughta be ok..
View Quote

This is where I'm at.  Always good to have a space Bolt/BCG
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

@xciapup
Thanks for the link, blew3 another $20 for a tool/toy
Have only tried it out with one set of lenses so far, but seems to do the job.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'll bet 75% of the M16/M4s in the Army's inventory have had a bolt or carrier hit the floor at some point.
View Quote

Fact. Same goes for the Air Force as well. If DOD pulled every bolt or bolt carrier out of service because it was dropped on concrete they'd go through a lot of them. It is fine.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Have you ever seen what a private can do to equipment?  Your bolt is US Army approved to handle Pvt Pyle, so I think 1 drop at 4ft is fine.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Chances are it’s fine, but it is a relative short lived part anyway:  I would buy a spare/backup anyway.
View Quote

You consider 7-15k rounds short lived?

I guess I don't consider running $3,500-$7,500 worth of ammo as being a small amount.

Edit: I've only killed one gun by dropping a bolt on concrete. Was a ruger 10/22. Ar bolts are tough though. I'd run it if I saw no damage.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The bolt undergoes worse during firing.
View Quote

This

Function test & start practicing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Slams against steel every time you squeeze the trigger. Your almost certainly GTG (Good to Go). Don't over think it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#23]
You are way over thinking it.  Those bolts are tough.  They get slammed hard over and over and keep on ticking.    They take 60,000 PSI metal on metal.   A 4 foot drop on soft concrete is nothing.    

If you dropped the entire bolt carrier group and it landed on the gas key tube it could bend the tube but just the bolt just keep shooting it forget about don't go OCD on it.

Link Posted: 10/4/2022 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey OP as everyone has already stated it's fine and you are probably over thinking it. The pressures of dropping from 4 feet are in no way similar to the pressures during normal operation. Test fire and blast on.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top