Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/7/2021 1:59:36 PM EDT
As noted elsewhere here, they're not yet advertised on their website but can be ordered over the phone.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Cost?  Mil spec diameter?
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Just received.  119.99 delivered.  I used the code Welcome20 when I called.

455E438B-265E-421E-8664-8BEC591F3804 by Derek Williams, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Did it come with a standard castle nut or is double star also doing the lock ring as well ?
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cost?  Mil spec diameter?
View Quote
Enquiring minds want to know!
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice. I got mine from Tony's customs which was a weird experience. First they mailed it to the wrong address and then did not return my emails or answer my calls. Then after the USPS tracking (They charged me for UPS shipping) said it had been returned to them I called and a guy answered, I asked about my order politely and suddenly I was talking to a woman. She did not know where my order was or what was happening. I gave them my info and they said they would call back. I never got a call back, but the stock arrived at my place a few days later.

The stock was okay, matte finish and 4 position tube. But it did come with a repro lock ring. I painted the stock and now it looks good, but I would have rather gone with the one that started this thread.

My experience. Take it or leave it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm glad to see these back - they're the best repro available of this part.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#7]
NICE!!!

Anyone know if they're dimensionally true?  They look good from the photo!
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone know if they're dimensionally true?  They look good from the photo!
View Quote
There's all-angle pics from early last year of someone comparing an Essential Arms CAR-15 stock to a genuine pristine Colt's CAR-15 stock and for the life of me I couldn't tell which was which in finish or gloss tone.  Even when they pointed out which was the genuine article, I had no clue as to what differences there were.  But to answer your question I cannot be sure of how true it is.

Thats quite good enough for me.  I admire reproductions that replicate even the "good enough for government contract" appeal, such as the authentic orange peel coating application and a tiny nick here and there in the forging.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did it come with a standard castle nut or is double star also doing the lock ring as well ?
View Quote

I am new to the retro game.  What am I looking for.  I’d take a pic but posting photos on this forum is a pita. Has three teeth and one dimple.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Mil-spec diameter?
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mil-spec diameter?
View Quote

1.149 Are these suppose to have one hole or two? Mine has one
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mil-spec diameter?

The buffer tube should have two holes/positions.  Retracted and extended.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I got mine from Doublestar apx $150 back in late March I think. The buffer tube is 1.149" and comes in black with 2 positions, the stock itself has 1 hole on the top (to view a non existent position number) and is shiny vinyl coated with the diamond type rear shoulder pad. The strap guide on the top appears to be a bit more angular than the original, the left side appears to have the letter B under the vinyl coating, and the locking lever appears to have slightly more angular contours than the original as well.

The castle nut (black) has 3 stake indentations with 1 circular wrench hole. Also included are a buffer and buffer spring. I hit the black parts with dark gray Rust-O-Leum and had to apply a few layers of tape in a couple of locations to remove s little stock wobble.

For the price I think it is a pretty good deal all in all.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 1:45:07 AM EDT
[#14]
So are these coated the same as the original stocks, a true vinyl acetate? The Essential Arms were powder coated, no? Are these the same as the Essential Arms stocks or different?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Older pic, but this shows an Essential Arms stock on top with an original Colt from my SP1 Carbine beneath it.

Link Posted: 6/8/2021 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got mine from Doublestar apx $150 back in late March I think. The buffer tube is 1.149" and comes in black with 2 positions, the stock itself has 1 hole on the top (to view a non existent position number) and is shiny vinyl coated with the diamond type rear shoulder pad. The strap guide on the top appears to be a bit more angular than the original, the left side appears to have the letter B under the vinyl coating, and the locking lever appears to have slightly more angular contours than the original as well.

The castle nut (black) has 3 stake indentations with 1 circular wrench hole. Also included are a buffer and buffer spring. I hit the black parts with dark gray Rust-O-Leum and had to apply a few layers of tape in a couple of locations to remove s little stock wobble.

View Quote

that hole may have been repurposed on the later stocks to be able to see a position number, but it's reason for being is that's how the locking pin is installed
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#17]
double tap
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Order placed - nice lady on the phone states they do have Essential's stocks of.. uh, stocks , and are planning new manufacture at some indeterminate future point.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So are these coated the same as the original stocks, a true vinyl acetate? The Essential Arms were powder coated, no? Are these the same as the Essential Arms stocks or different?
View Quote

Placed my order today, the woman said they are Essentials.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Order placed - nice lady on the phone states they do have Essential's stocks of.. uh, stocks , and are planning new manufacture at some indeterminate future point.
View Quote

I ordered yesterday, and she mentioned to me that they just started production.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:54:18 AM EDT
[#21]
My Essential and original Colt are very close in appearance.  Essential did a good job.  I do not recall any of the Essential stocks having a B marking.  I thought the B marking was only on the commercial Bushmaster stocks that were not as nice.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

that hole may have been repurposed on the later stocks to be able to see a position number, but it's reason for being is that's how the locking pin is installed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the information -- didn't know that.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My Essential and original Colt are very close in appearance.  Essential did a good job.  I do not recall any of the Essential stocks having a B marking.  I thought the B marking was only on the commercial Bushmaster stocks that were not as nice.
View Quote

I think Vaughan at Essential used different forgings over the years.  He did sell them with the raised B marking a few years ago.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I've seen a couple different versions of the "B" marked stocks..the top one had a "B" right by the end of the lever before I refinished it

notice the slight differences in the sling loop, the shape of the locking lever, and the profile of the locking pin block
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I wish they would make a brace that looks like that. Prob won't happen now--unless new ATFE guidance dies/gets quashed.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I wish they would make a brace that looks like that. Prob won't happen now--unless new ATFE guidance dies/gets quashed.
View Quote

Is this what you mean?   https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Retro-style-pistol-Blade-Brace-wasn-t-someone-here-working-on-these-/123-744656/
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Is this what you mean?   https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Retro-style-pistol-Blade-Brace-wasn-t-someone-here-working-on-these-/123-744656/
View Quote

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#29]
And mine has been shipped! ETA is whenever the Post Awful gets around to it, but getting the order in while they were available was the main idea.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#30]
The stock is really nice.  The buffer tube is the standard black, not grey.  It doesn't bother me that much because I'm not hung up on color accuracy.

The only really disappointing thing to me is the lock/castle nut.  The spanner hole isn't drilled through like the originals. I can't imagine it takes that much more machining time to do it right.

Minor grievances aside, this was one hell of a deal for a great part.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine just arrived today, all shiny and cool.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Got mine in the mail today, really nice!!  Was $120 with the discount code in the previous posts.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I just ordered one.  Very helpful an easy to work with.  I will post on it again when I receive it.  Looking forward ti it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I bought another because I liked it so much.  Also used the coupon code above this time, so thanks for that!

Link Posted: 6/24/2021 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Awesome.  I can finish my clone now
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Got one on the way!  The nice lady on the phone did specify that the Welcome 20 code was supposed to be just for online ordering.  But, she allowed it anyway.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The current inventory is what we received from Essential Arms with the acquisition.  They have mil-spec diameter, two position buffer tubes, and are coming with the same hardware that Essential has supplied.  We will have our first batch of stocks that we produce ready for release later this summer.  We will be producing the CAR nuts and the latch nuts for this batch, so that will be a change in the future.  These will be available on our site as well as through some of our online retailers once our run is ready.  

Jesse

View Quote

Can you make sure the hole is drilled all the way through and the finish is matte (and still maintain the proper staking notches)?

ETA: For the CAR nuts.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Glad to hear that you guys are making theses.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Nice to know they are being made. I have one of the Essential Arms stocks. Only criticism of them is they do not have the same "shine" as the original Colt ones. Is that something that you are thinking of doing?
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Glad to hear that you guys are making theses.
View Quote
Also glad you're perfecting the reproductions of the nuts/hardware.

Have you considered doing a run of 11.5" (and 10") lightweight barrels in 4150 steel (chrome lined)?

You're one of the few sources of LW retro barrels.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

We're running the CAR nuts that should be identical to my original Colt, and they'll be parked like our standard castle nuts. We're also running a more squared latch nut for the next run rather than our normal radiused latch nut.

There are around 20 of the Essential stocks left, and it will be late July/early August before our first batch will be available.

Jesse
View Quote

Thank you for taking on this project with such attention to detail.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nice to know they are being made. I have one of the Essential Arms stocks. Only criticism of them is they do not have the same "shine" as the original Colt ones. Is that something that you are thinking of doing?
View Quote

You have pictures of yours? My EA stock and many here have a near identical look to the vinyl acetate finish Colt stocks, with a deep black shiny/glossy finish.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

We're running the CAR nuts that should be identical to my original Colt, and they'll be parked like our standard castle nuts. We're also running a more squared latch nut for the next run rather than our normal radiused latch nut.

There are around 20 of the Essential stocks left, and it will be late July/early August before our first batch will be available.

Jesse
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you make sure the hole is drilled all the way through and the finish is matte (and still maintain the proper staking notches)?

ETA: For the CAR nuts.

Jesse

Outstanding.

My only last request would be for a 7075 XM Grey 2 position carbine receiver extension, if possible.

You may also want to coordinate with PSA given their plans for reproduction receivers, if they end up making full carbines (which I believe is their intention), your stocks and lock rings would be the ideal solution.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
your stocks and lock rings would be the ideal solution.
View Quote
...and possibly barrels.

PSA said they'd be releasing the retro lowers (at minimum) under their H&R brand.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You have pictures of yours? My EA stock and many here have a near identical look to the vinyl acetate finish Colt stocks, with a deep black shiny/glossy finish.
View Quote
I agree.
I got one from EA about a decade ago and their coating/gloss looks just like a Colt.

Looks the same as the pics posted here.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I agree.
I got one from EA about a decade ago and their coating/gloss looks just like a Colt.

Looks the same as the pics posted here.
View Quote

Yep, mine is quite glossy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Those are much glossier than my EA stock I bought back in March. Wonder if I can polish the powder coat to give a little more shine?
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#50]
@JTDistributing

Thanks for doing this, Jesse!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top