Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2023 1:00:07 PM EDT
I have a bushmaster ar15 (.223) that I got probably 10 years ago. Never changed anything out and I’ve shot thousands of rounds through it. I haven’t had a problem whatsoever until recently. It’s been double feeding quite a bit so I got new pmags and didn’t fix it. Then I gave it a very good cleaning and it seemed like it got somewhat better but not how it should be. I also noticed that when I rapid fire it does not jam.
Everything in the bcg seems fine. I’ve been shooting 55 grain PMC ammo.

Anyone have any guesses? I was thinking it might be the gas block or maybe I just need a whole new bcg since everything is years old with thousands of rounds shot through it. It’s been an absolute great rifle though. Let me know what you guys think, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:01:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the fired casing still fully in the chamber when it trys to feed a new round?  

I would give it a good cleaning to include the chamber with a chamber brush.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, it’s always still in the chamber and then tries feeding a new round in and then it gets a little dented from the bolt pushing it forward and having no where to go.
I’ll clean the chamber really good and see if that helps. Last time I cleaned it (a month ago) and shot it, it was definitely better but still doing it 25% of the time. Property has been wet so haven’t been able to shoot for a few weeks. I appreciate the response, I’ll try that out.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Springs. Extractor and ejector springs are probably tired as hell. Install some new ones and see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#4]
You’re not having a double feed.  That’s a failure to extract.

Change the bolt.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I mix those up lol. But sounds good, which one should I go with? I’ve seen a lot of people recommend BCM, DD, and Toolcraft. Does it really matter? Wasn’t really trying to spend over $200 for a bcg.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Just replace the bolt. DD, BCM, SOLGW, Colt, all good.

You could probably just replace the extractor, spring, and insert and be fine too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Springs. Extractor and ejector springs are probably tired as hell. Install some new ones and see what happens.
View Quote

Sounds good, I appreciate the response.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just replace the bolt. DD, BCM, SOLGW, Colt, all good.

You could probably just replace the extractor, spring, and insert and be fine too.
View Quote

I Appreciate it.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top