Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2018 5:56:36 PM EDT
Scenario: Putting together my first build. I started about 8 months ago and was missing a part so I ordered the part and it came in but I had kind of lost interest by that time so this sat until I was in my work space the other day during the hurricane and I decided to give it another go. I greased the mounting point on the upper to install the barrel. I put barrel in and using the barrel wrench I started to tighten the barrel. I then loosed it and started to tighten again and I hear a cracking sound. Apparently my delta ring cracked. So now I am back in the same predicament as I was in earlier. So my question is, am I doing it right? The wrench I am using isn’t tight fitting on the barrel nut and slips a little. What can I do to keep this from happening with the next delta ring?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Scenario: Putting together my first build. I started about 8 months ago and was missing a part so I ordered the part and it came in but I had kind of lost interest by that time so this sat until I was in my work space the other day during the hurricane and I decided to give it another go. I greased the mounting point on the upper to install the barrel. I put barrel in and using the barrel wrench I started to tighten the barrel. I then loosed it and started to tighten again and I hear a cracking sound. Apparently my delta ring cracked. So now I am back in the same predicament as I was in earlier. So my question is, am I doing it right? The wrench I am using isn’t tight fitting on the barrel nut and slips a little. What can I do to keep this from happening with the next delta ring?
Thanks.
View Quote
What wrench are you using? There really should be no stress on the delta ring at all unless something is wrong.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#3]
There should be zero pressure on a delta ring when torquing one, other than pushing it towards the rear slightly so the teeth can engage on the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Was it a plastic delta ring?  I can’t see an aluminum one cracking when installing a barrel.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen the finish get damaged and some pretty bad dings and chips on delta rings before from crap barrel wrenches slipping off the barrel nut, but I've never seen one with a crack in it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
What side were you using?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What side were you using?
View Quote
I think we have a winner...

(The Armorer’s Wrench has two sides, one is for traditional barrel nuts and the other is for free-float tubes and rails.)
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:24:15 AM EDT
[#8]
The side with all the teeth not the nubs for free float barrel nuts
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you mind posting pictures?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Of which? The wrench or the delta ring?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've seen the finish get damaged and some pretty bad dings and chips on delta rings before from crap barrel wrenches slipping off the barrel nut, but I've never seen one with a crack in it.
View Quote
yep,

had the good old USGI tool slip once,  (totally my fault) and the nub took a chunk out of the delta ring,
seen them dented as well,
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

yep,

had the good old USGI tool slip once,  (totally my fault) and the nub took a chunk out of the delta ring,
seen them dented as well,
View Quote
I suppose it could happen with any barrel wrench if you aren't paying full attention.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The side with all the teeth not the nubs for free float barrel nuts
View Quote
You said that this is your first barrel installation? There is a learning curve to installing standard barrel nuts with delta/slip rings (believe it or not), it's not always as easy as Legos.

I had my issues with installing standard barrel nuts when I first started out too. The best move I ever made was ditching those all in one type tools, such as the DPMS/Smith Enterprise style wrenches. They have a very shallow engagement of the barrel nut teeth and make it very easy to slip off and cause damage to the barrel nut and delta ring. I ended up switching to the 3 pin GI barrel nut wrench and found that it was much easier to use, but the fact that it only has 3 pins puts a lot of stress on only three of the teeth on the barrel nut, and the teeth will start to bend when you get up into the mid to higher torque range.

I got to a point where I gave up working on the AR15 until I could find a better barrel wrench. I wanted something that would be similar to the GI wrench but had more pins, which resulted in me starting this still ongoing thread, started long long ago. > Barrel wrench thread.

That thread led to a few different prototype wrenches, which resulted in two of them (one from Spike's Tactical and one from BRD Engineering) becoming available for a little while.

Long story short, 2UniqueLLC eventually came out with a couple similar wrenches to what I wanted and I'm much happier. > Link. > Link.

After that I focused on barreling jigs. > Barreling jig thread.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top