Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/5/2022 4:22:13 PM EDT
Looking to build an M16A1 style clone, but in .308.
I’ve built lots of 5.56 rifles, but never an AR10.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know, ArmaLite’s AR-10A2 was the closest and only one.  They were discontinued around 2012.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Brownells BRN-10 also.

The Armalites pop up on GB regularly.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, any idea which 80% lowers fit which uppers?
Or do they have to be the same manufacturer?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, any idea which 80% lowers fit which uppers?
Or do they have to be the same manufacturer?
View Quote

Always a good idea with the large frames.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:48:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay, so I went with the PSA kit and PSA lower. Only thing I need now is a detachable carry handle that will fit it. If there is such a thing.
Barrel has a fixed FSB.
Any leads?
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay, so I went with the PSA kit and PSA lower. Only thing I need now is a detachable carry handle that will fit it. If there is such a thing.
Barrel has a fixed FSB.
Any leads?
View Quote

Yes, and good luck.

The Armalite AR-10 sized carry handles were made to match up the receiver height with a detachable gas block front sight.

There were super-tall A2 front sights made to match the Armalite flat top uppers up when using the detachable carry handle too.

DPMS made some too but I'm not familiar with their compatibility.

None of these things have been in production for years now.

ETA - There is a salty Armalite A2 missing the BCG and charging handle, and one with detachable sights on GB now.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#7]
When I did this, the only thing I could do was find an actual carry-handle Armalite upper (which was not cheap) to fit my Diamondback 80%. I still had to machine it to accept my magazines, and I still haven't completed the build.
I'm trying to decide what retro logo to engrave on my lower.

That said, Pic rail is all pic rail. If you have an FSB that's standard on your barrel, it won't match perfect but doesn't look terrible with an A2 carry handle on it.

The tight finger-hole area on a carry handle looks weird anyway, and would look even weirder if stretched longer.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top