Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2019 3:48:33 AM EDT
I'm mostly trying to figure out what's up with the UID tag dot matrix placement on the magwell of current Colt LE6920 Socoms and whether that is something colt is doing on military rifles as well. Even if not, if anyone has some current pictures of M4A1 lowers and FNH as well, would be sweet to see. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm mostly trying to figure out what's up with the UID tag dot matrix placement on the magwell of current Colt LE6920 Socoms and whether that is something colt is doing on military rifles as well. Even if not, if anyone has some current pictures of M4A1 lowers and FNH as well, would be sweet to see. Thanks!
View Quote
2018 SOCOM, got it in Dec.

Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. I'm now hopeful someone in an armory or who had one issued can share a pic of the real FA version. Hoping to see if that UID mark is present on the new ones too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Here you go...

Code is obliterated but is laser engraved on the mag well. I’ve personally never seen one on a USGI Colt, just recent FN guns.

The FN commercial guns, including the Military Collector guns, do not have the code engraved.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The recent Colt government contracts were for Foreign Military Sales, so I don't think new Colt M4A1 are being issued to US military.

Colt only recently started engraving the QR code on the magwell (mid 2018 I think).
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The UID codes are very recent. FN got the contract to supply the military with M4A1s. Colt is not supplying the military with M4A1s at the moment. All the Colt lowers in the military are a little older, like what I was issued in the USMC
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The ones we got weren’t new issue but reconfigured

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:11:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I could be wrong but according to the HK M27 pics I’ve seen around the newer UID labels are round.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:18:52 AM EDT
[#8]
UID labels come in several styles and shapes.  Also the units UIC is listed on the UID.

CD
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:57:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
UID labels come in several styles and shapes.  Also the units UIC is listed on the UID.

CD
View Quote
So there not a rule about the type of label (round square etc)as far as they work correct?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:26:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So there not a rule about the type of label (round square etc)as far as they work correct?
View Quote
I do not know of any rule.  Seen the arms room custodian have sheets of UID stickers peeling them off.  Different sizes for different weapons systems.  Primary info on the UID is SN, UIC and item NSN, then that bar code square.

CD
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Very interesting. I was under the impression Colt and FNH were sharing the M4A1 contract for new guns. What is that little dot matrix bar code called? That is engraved into the lowers (not the sticker) I was referring to it as a UID and the comments here make me think I've been calling it incorrectly.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Very interesting. I was under the impression Colt and FNH were sharing the M4A1 contract for new guns. What is that little dot matrix bar code called? That is engraved into the lowers (not the sticker) I was referring to it as a UID and the comments here make me think I've been calling it incorrectly.

Thank you!
View Quote
You're wondering about it being engraved or etched on vs the sticker?
I can't recall seeing an issued one with it etched. Different style stickers though, in different places.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got issued a brand spanking new Colt M4A1 in December, the UID is a sticker on the right side magwell opposite the roll mark.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here you go...
http://i.imgur.com/45D1x9D.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aFn3ss7.jpg

Code is obliterated but is laser engraved on the mag well. I've personally never seen one on a USGI Colt, just recent FN guns.

The FN commercial guns, including the Military Collector guns, do not have the code engraved.
View Quote
So the Army is going with FN M4s now? Wonder if the 82nd switched out their old Colt M4s?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Most of the guys who got issued the new M4s in my company peeled them off. Myself included
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve only seen colt m4’s in the 82nd. Haven’t seen any FN’s other than at sand hill. I’ve seen plenty of brand new colts in the 82nd. I know FN got the contract a while ago but have yet to see any new FN stuff. When my company got the A1 conversions we took them and they just XXXX out burst engrave AUTO. Problem was the civilians that installed the new triggers put about half of them in wrong. I then spent half a day reinstalling all the hammers since they mis routed the springs.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've only seen colt m4's in the 82nd. Haven't seen any FN's other than at sand hill. I've seen plenty of brand new colts in the 82nd. I know FN got the contract a while ago but have yet to see any new FN stuff. When my company got the A1 conversions we took them and they just XXXX out burst engrave AUTO. Problem was the civilians that installed the new triggers put about half of them in wrong. I then spent half a day reinstalling all the hammers since they mis routed the springs.
View Quote
If that was at Sand hill it doesn't surprise me. I spent many days with the weapon guy on a Malone Range helping him fix stuff when I was a Drill SGT. He taught me how to change barrels so he could finish his coffee

The weapon pool guys at Benning used to issue some pretty banged up rifles, I used to keep trigger and hammer springs in my pocket during BRM when I was a Drill SGT.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#19]
The code they use is a 2D Data matrix code... it was created for DoD.

It has a level of redundancy that a standard UPC code does not. and the embedded info can still be read even if have the code is missing.

There's  your Bar code "Gee whiz, nice to know" info of the day....
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Who did the stamps?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome lol. Need this in my distant future lol.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 4:33:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks great
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So the Army is going with FN M4s now? Wonder if the 82nd switched out their old Colt M4s?
View Quote
When I left Bragg in ‘14, 82nd was just beginning the MWO conversion process to M4A1s. We had all Colt M4s at that time.

I’ve only seen new FN M4A1s in TRADOC. BCT went from M16A2s to new contract M4A1s, whereas FORSCOM units already had M4s to convert.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
No need to switch.
Older guns get upgraded as far as they’re in good working conditions.
There’s a nice pdf somewhere that shows all the upgrades for the M4 in order to be converted in M4A1
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just got issued a brand spanking new Colt M4A1 in December, the UID is a sticker on the right side magwell opposite the roll mark.
View Quote
Would you happen to have a picture of the left side of the reciever?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Tag
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top