Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2018 5:49:53 PM EDT
About 15 years ago at the Tampa gun show, I walked by an Aframe rack loaded with plain Jane A2 plastic hand guard uppers that a guy was selling as Rock Rivers.

I spotted this one in the rack and snagged it because it was free float which was just starting to get popular back then.

Its managed to hang around all these years as others came and went, but I have no idea WTF it is.

The only thing I've done to it is add the Phantom, otherwise its just like I bought it.

The barrel under the hand guard is about the diameter of a nickle and the finish has a slight greenish tinge to it.

It has NO markings of any kind on it anywhere, not even a twist rate or any little proof stamps.

I guess I've kept it around because mounted on a good target lower with a scope, it shoots pencil eraser sized groups at 100yds.

Do any of you guys have any idea what it might be?

Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I know Olympic Arms used to sell uppers with that handguard
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Other than C99 and an R inside a circle on the FSB there isn't a mark of any kind on it.
Barrel or upper.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you checked the butt end of the rear lug for a stamp. There could be an "L" stamp which would indicate it was made by LAR/Grizzly. They manufactured uppers for a number of companies. Does it have the Cerro Forge keyhole forging stamp in front of the rear sight (right side / front of windage adjustment)?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah it has the keyhole.

I thought that was part of the sight when I looked before.

Rear lug is unmarked.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I know Olympic Arms used to sell uppers with that handguard
View Quote
They had a good rep for bbls as well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#8]
My Olympic OA93 upper has that same, albeit shorter hand guard
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I know Olympic Arms used to sell uppers with that handguard
they made excellent barrels, but usually marked them with caliber and if Stainless, SS on the barrels ahead of the FSB,

those handguards were common on the market as well, so it could be one someone put together
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#10]
It looks like an early rock river with Wilson barrel I had marked only with 204 on the barrel.
It was a real shooter but I traded it for a nice smith revolver about 10 years ago
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I have that same handguard on my pistol and I know it is an Olympic, because I took it off the original upper which was a Oly
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#12]
If it's one of ours from that vintage, there should be an alphanumeric code stamped over the chamber.  at least one letter and one number, more likely a letter, then a number, then another letter.  There's a pinned thread in or industry forum on our barrel markings and how to read them.
Thanks.
Steve/RRA
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like Olympic Arms to me at a glance.

First thing that came to my mind when I saw it, having lived through all of this.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#15]
M&A parts upper.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Sight base looks forges so probably not Olympic they also have marked the caliber on their barrels or SS for a long time.
If the sight base has straight pins instead of taper pins and a roll pin in the sling swivel instead of the tubular rivet I would guess maybe Model1 sales but I don't remember their barrels being the grey green color. But RRA I think used or uses straight pins in the sight base also and the older barrel I got from them is that color. The forend is kind of generic for the time period.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:50:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Look around the barrel nut area, on the barrel itself. I have some stampings on what I think is an Olympic upper. They are hard to notice at first glance.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top