Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2018 8:59:54 PM EDT
Looking to get a set of hex wrenches and I noticed most offered are ball end. Have you had any issues with the ball end or are they GTG?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't like them for anything except finger tight and finger loosen.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#2]
They are easy to break the ball off if you are not careful, then the ball becomes lodged in the screw and is a real bitch to get out.  I have a lot of them and I only buy the square end ones now.  They are good for somethings when you are dealing with an angle, but not much else, that groove going around them to make the ball is weak and it does not matter who makes it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
So you prefer the flat end hex wrenches?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#4]
All my ball ends are now flat.  They snap off.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They are easy to break the ball off if you are not careful, then the ball becomes lodged in the screw and is a real bitch to get out.  I have a lot of them and I only buy the square end ones now.
View Quote
That’s the type of information I was looking for. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#6]
If your looking at t handle wrenches don't buy the harbor freight brand they twist in the handles .
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I like them. I only use Bhondus though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I love ball end hex wrenches, at least good quality ones used within reasonable limits.  IE, don't use them to attempt to break loose rounded, rusted or crazily torqued fasteners. The ability to get into fasteners at odd angles makes life a lot easier (and faster)
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Just scored these Wiha’s on sale. Thanks for the input

$34.98 plus $6.99 shipping
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have a 10/22 you will want to get a 5/32 ball end hex wrench.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They are easy to break the ball off if you are not careful, then the ball becomes lodged in the screw and is a real bitch to get out.  I have a lot of them and I only buy the square end ones now.  They are good for somethings when you are dealing with an angle, but not much else, that groove going around them to make the ball is weak and it does not matter who makes it.
View Quote
Just did this last night trying to loosen a hand-stop on my rail. Not sure how I plan to get it out yet.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I like them. I use them. I have a couple ball sets of US and a couple ball sets of metric. They are Bondhus. I also have a metric set that isn't ball and goes to 12mm and a couple US sets that are not ball that go to 1/2". If I lost all that stuff tomorrow, I would go to Amazon and replace it with a Bondhus 2 pack that contained both metric and US ball sets for $18.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
FPNI. Can’t final torque or break screws/bolts with them or you’ll break or strip them. I used snap on ones and they were still fragile and borderline worthless.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:48:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Ball ends have their place, but personally have not found that place in AR building. Stick with the flat ends for gunsmithing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:22:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Looking to get a set of hex wrenches and I noticed most offered are ball end. Have you had any issues with the ball end or are they GTG?
View Quote
I’m going to use a common phase used around her. “ Get both” I have two sets of both. I use straight or flats to break loose and if it’s in a bad spot I spin it loose and snug with the ball end.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:16:44 AM EDT
[#17]
The ball end has a specific purpose. If you don't need the ball end, use the other side of the wrench.
Myself, I have allen wenches in regular, metric, ball end and t-handle. Part of my job.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:26:15 AM EDT
[#18]
lol @ all the hammer mechanics that broke their balls off. They're only meant for turning the fastener, use the other end to tighten it or break it free. I've never broken one. lol
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think you are using them wrong...

I have used them for years and never broke a tip off.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think you are using them wrong...

I have used them for years and never broke a tip off.
View Quote
You guys that have never broke the ball end off, must be special

Link Posted: 10/23/2018 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#21]
They're convenient for running screws which are already loose but either the ball will break off or the soft metal will round off if you put much poo on them.  I use traditional hardened allen keys when I need much torque.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#22]
They're great for my Dillon reloaders and bicycle. Other than that, the standard ones are what I use for the reason(s) stated above.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You guys that have never broke the ball end off, must be special

View Quote

I was a production assembler for several years.  I broke the ball off once or twice, but it was necessary to get the job done (tight space, no other options).  As much as I have wrenched, that would make breakage extremely rare.  I have abused the wrenches without breaking them, so I would say that some of you need to buy name brand shit for ball end hex wrenches.

A machinist that says he has never broken a tap is like an Irishman saying he doesn't drink.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was a production assembler for several years.  I broke the ball off once or twice, but it was necessary to get the job done (tight space, no other options).  As much as I have wrenched, that would make breakage extremely rare.  I have abused the wrenches without breaking them, so I would say that some of you need to buy name brand shit for ball end hex wrenches.

A machinist that says he has never broken a tap is like an Irishman saying he doesn't drink.
View Quote
I have good quality ones that I have broke as well as lesser quality that have broke.  The majority of my hand tools are Mac, Snap On and I have a lot of the older made in USA Craftsman stuff.

One of the problems with the smaller ones, even the hardened ones, is the same as bolts, many applications call for grade 5 bolts and guys think that upgrading to a grade 8 will make it stronger, but for the particular application the grade 8 bolts will snap and the grade 5 bolts won't.  Harder is stronger applied correctly for the task at hand, but it is also more brittle and prone to snapping if used incorrectly.  The machining of the ball end makes a concentration point for torque and they snap, the small ones can be really easy to snap because there is just not much material there.  When I worked in the armories when I first went in the service, we had ball head wrenches and they were .mil spec material and they still broke because of that concentration point.

On the AR there is really nothing that requires a ball head for the most part to get screws in and out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes. I find them good for getting things finger tight while allowing some wiggle room/non-perfect alignment. Switch to the non-ball end for final torquing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#26]
They’re great for their INTENDED PURPOSE. They are not a substitute for breaking loose and torquing with regular hex.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:42:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed. They come in handy when having to be held in an awkward position like changing out vise jaws in a mill and such
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:09:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Love me some ball ends, especially T-handles. Used bondhus exclusively for years and never broke one. Ive cranked on the 5mm/8mm/12mm T handles pretty damn hard, too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
if your not a knuckle dragging cave man you can manage to not destroy your tools....
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:41:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
if your not a knuckle dragging cave man you can manage to not destroy your tools....
View Quote
Shit I had a guy that worked with me back in the early 80's in the armory and that guy was only like 5'2" and was not bulked up and muscled, but that sucker could break tools, we were always replacing stuff that he broke!  And he was just a little guy!
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ball ends have their place, but personally have not found that place in AR building. Stick with the flat ends for gunsmithing.
View Quote
They are great for lower receivers that have a threaded bolt catch screw as opposed to a roll pin, and for the takedown pin detent spring retainer if it has one. Aside from that I would agree with you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#32]
They are very handy for running a screw in or out fast, or where you have to work at an angle.
I do not use them for serious torqueing or breaking screws loose.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I’ve been using ball ended Allen wrenches for over 20 years, both at work and at home.  I’ve worn out many sets of Allen wrenches, flat and ball, over my 35 years as an electrician and gun tinkerer, but I’ve never broken one.  IMO if you break off the ball, that’s on you for being a bubba headed hammer knocker.  Use tools as intended and buy decent tools and the ball won’t break.  In fact, I won’t buy a set that does not have a balled end.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I use them with my Dillon, I wouldn’t use them for much else than “firm finger tight”.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#35]
People need to knock it off with the if you break a tool you are a such and such, shit breaks, even good overpriced shit breaks.  If you have made it through the years without breaking one, great, relate that experience, if you have broke a few along the way, great relate your experience, but knock it off with you are a such and such crap.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I deal with a lot of stainless screws at work and the ball tip drivers will hollow out the head over time. Stainless is soft stuff. I’ve seen them where you can’t turn them with a ball tip but a straight hex will grab the top and bottom where it hasn’t been chewed out.  I try to only use them for difficult access situations.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They’re great for their INTENDED PURPOSE. They are not a substitute for breaking loose and torquing with regular hex.
View Quote
This. I think you need both.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:.  I try to only use them for difficult access situations.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I have one ball end set and five straight hex key sets. The ball end have their place, but I do not use them often, and I won't apply significant torque to that end.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top