Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/24/2021 8:39:47 PM EDT
Wondering what you use to keep the gasket from rotting/drying out. Will Ballistol be good enough?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Use silicone products.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#2]
silicon oil works well...
Sort of the same for the rubber grommets in your car doors :-)
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Something like this?

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used MG Chemicals Rubber Renue on every can I own. Seems to work very well.

Plus, there's something about it's smell that I really like.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

I'm still working in the same bottle bought 12 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep a spray can of silicone lubricant on hand, and that's what I use.  I generally only condition them if they are empty, and I am filling them for long term service.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wondering what you use to keep the gasket from rotting/drying out. Will Ballistol be good enough?
View Quote

Guess times change....cause many here use to say, don't put nothing on the seals. I still don't mess with them....buy them in good shape, no cracks or dried up.....they will Last forever.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Ballistol will be enough.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I am kind of old school.  Glycerin works for me.  Dampen a cotton ball and wipe the rubber.  Rubber does not rot and car doors won't freeze.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have used MG Chemicals Rubber Renue on every can I own. Seems to work very well.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71waAUv12IL._SL1500_.jpg

Plus, there's something about it's smell that I really like.

www.amazon.com/dp/B008O9X3KS

I'm still working in the same bottle bought 12 years ago.
View Quote
This stuff works good on old rubber wheels like in a printer or the capstan on a tape deck it plumps them back up and will give you some time before having to replace but its kinda strong smelling.
We used to get boxes of printers that were scrapped as defective q-tip with some of this on the rollers and 9 out of 10 were fine.

Glycerin will work on the gasket or you can get silicone grease/oil pretty cheap both will soften the gasket don't use vaseline it will break down the rubber over time due to the petroleum.

Side note folks talk about carboard absorbing moisture and causing corrosion on the ammo so they ditch the box well lessoned learned with a bad batch of ammo and no lot # if I dump out a box I cut the lot # off and toss in.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I used petroleum  jelly on some old cans. Not sure if it works, just didn't want them to dry out.

Think I'll try silicone now

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#11]
The reason that historical advice was to use nothing on ammo cans, was fear of using the wrong thing.

Petroleum jelly can actually harm natural rubber, and degrade it.  Silicone is the best product to use on rubber.  Common silicone can be from a spray can of silicone spray, or swimming pool o-ring lubricant, or even dielectric grease which is silicone grease.

Petroleum jelly is very mild, and probably wont harm an ammo can seal, but it would be better to use nothing than use a chemical that can break down the rubber.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Ammo cans manufactured since 2001 have neoprene seals. Prior to 2001 they were natural rubber.

Dow Corning MOLYKOTE 111 Compound should be used for conditioning neoprene seals.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ammo cans manufactured since 2001 have neoprene seals. Prior to 2001 they were natural rubber.

Dow Corning MOLYKOTE 111 Compound should be used for conditioning neoprene seals.
View Quote

I use that stuff for my Reverse Osmosis system seals and o-rings. Expensive.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty sure that's just silicone.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#15]
can't go wrong with this.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#16]

$28 for 5 ounces?  That's wrong from the get-go.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I do so only in private.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Pretty sure that's just silicone.
View Quote

O-ring Silicone Lubricant helps to provide a good seal and to prevent water leaks on all brands of water filter housing o-rings, in addition to preserving the integrity of your o-ring.

Looks like it.

I think some of these lubricants are just more expensive due to being food grade, having FDA approvals, name brand, etc.  

I could be wrong of course.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I used petroleum  jelly on some old cans. Not sure if it works, just didn't want them to dry out.

Think I'll try silicone now

View Quote

That's what I use. A very very thin coating.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I agree with FALARAK. Silicone spray works great on ammo can gaskets! CRC HEAVY DUTY SILICONE spray in the red/white can is a great product for ammo can gaskets/CV boots on your ATVs & 4X4s/etc. Just treated a new crop of Grade 1 used PA108 fat 50/SAW ammo cans. Simply spray the CRC on the can gasket, wipe off the excess overspray, put the can in the sun for a while or let it dry overnight in the garage, and the can is ready for long term storage use. Have tried several other types of silicone sprays. Most worked OK but not nearly as well as this CRC product. Can gaskets I treated 15 years ago with the CRC still look like-new & seal fine. And CRC HEAVY DUTY SILICONE spray costs just $3 a can at Walmart with a single can of CRC treating dozens and dozens of ammo can gaskets. .02
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:19:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Never gave it a thought.

But my youngest son has an old BMW convertible with lots of gaskets in/on it.  He bought this stuff and says it really helps.  He's put it on the gaskets with the hard top off the car, then put the hard top back on and he says he can tell the gaskets have "plumped up" and it takes more force to turn the locking handles vs. when he got the car.

Been thinking about ordering some for my old Z28s (T-tops, etc.), let alone the newer vehicles we've got.
Gummi-Pflege-Rubber
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Good thread with lots of good information, thanks!

I have been in reorganizing and maintenance mode in my man cave for a couple of weeks now which includes checking ammo cans and making sure all stored ammo and primers are in good shape. Most are ... but now I am going to go back and treat all the seals with silicone. Much appreciated men.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#23]
If you choose to use a silicone spray - just remember, sprays often have a volatile thinning carrier, so its important to wipe off any overspray and let sit overnight.  I don't want to risk adding something which might degrade the ammunition for long term storage.  I actually spray some into the cap, and use a Q-tip to wipe on the silicone fluid right on the seal, to reduce any overspray possibility.

Silicone grease is silicone oil with a thickening agent added.

The cheapest stuff you will find that is perfect for not including a bunch of volatile stuff, and easy to apply, is this.... $3.50 for 4 ounces:

https://www.amazon.com/3-ONE-All-Temperature-Silicone-Drip/dp/B00J25JCM6/

I use my spray because I have it already.  I just let it air out first, before sealing the can up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I use silicone grease. Same grease I use to lube a PCP high pressure pump (Hill pump grease for PCP guys).  Clean them, grease them, add a desiccant, fill and store. When they're opened I can hear and feel the suction. Zero issues, I suspect that ammo will be fresh long after I am gone. If you're worried, do that and never fret again.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't think it really needs it.

1960s Ammo Recovered from River in Vietnam Still Looks Minty Fresh

But if you feel the need, try Ballistol, it's really good stuff.

Ballistol - It's Not Just For Guns...

https://ballistol.com/uses/
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top