BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/3/2018 4:05:32 PM EDT
I hope not because I just ordered an EXPS3-2. I have several Aimpoints this will be my first EoTech.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I never did...
I bought two of them 15+ years ago, sold one after about 10 years. Still have the other.  I guess I have never had mine in 160+ degree or -60 or what ever the extreme temps are that cause the POI shift.  
Last I used mine it was dead on.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I want to like them, I really do, but can't bring myself to trust them in regards to long term durability.

Sent my XPS2 and EXPS2 back for the refund.

Maybe someday when I am convinced their issues are permanently in the past I will give them another go.  Until then, I'm gonna pass.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I love Eotechs, but my Aimpoints won't turn off on me and are easier on batteries.  I prefer the reticle and sight picture of the Eotech.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I will never own one again after having 50% of the one’s I owned fail on me and then it comes out Eotech had been lying the whole time.  Makes it kind of hard to trust them when they say “no, they’re really fixed for real this time, guys.”
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't know about the holo sights, but I love my 1-6x VUDU.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Makes it kind of hard to trust them when they say "no, they're really fixed for real this time, guys."
View Quote
Did they say that? I've never seen a statement that they fixed anything.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I sent mine in for the refund.

They knew about the problem, and didn't come clean about it.

Three of my kids are in the service.
One Soldier and Two Airmen.

All I could think about was a friendly fire accident...
And one of them would get hurt.

FUCK EOTECH.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope...love em!!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did they say that? I've never seen a statement that they fixed anything.
View Quote
They've stated that they fixed the delamination and nitrogen purge issue pretty recently (right after the whole lying debacle came to light).

They also claimed to have fixed the delamination and nitrogen purge issue years ago (think it was 2010-2012 timeframe), although now released internal emails and communications revealed that to be a lie.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Has there been any verification by a third party, since the latest "fix"?

Are all the latest revision indicated by the logo change?
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Wondering the same. I sold my eotech 512 to my brother about 3 years ago and kind of miss the optic. I have an MRO and ACOG on other rifles but the sight picture and window is great on the eotechs. If anyones looking for a good price check out eurooptic.com. I've traded emails with them and they seem great to work with, responded late on a sunday night. $539 shipped for the EXPS3-0. Non QD mount version (XPS) i would imagine is cheaper. They are an authorized dealer too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Absolutly no hate here....

As good as the APs are, I am getting ready to purchase my 3rd EOT EXPS in 6 months...

The sight picture is great, quick.

Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Don’t care who hates them, I kept mine and bought more since the recall.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:15:03 PM EDT
[#15]
We hates them, Precious.  We hates them!

No, really, I will never buy another of their products.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They've stated that they fixed the delamination and nitrogen purge issue pretty recently (right after the whole lying debacle came to light).
View Quote
Where can I go to learn more about the nitrogen purge issue?

I fixed the electrical power problem inside but that (of course) broke the N2 purge.  Now the reticle is too dim to see in daylight.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I fixed the electrical power problem inside but that (of course) broke the N2 purge.  Now the reticle is too dim to see in daylight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

L3 has excellent customer service. They’ve fixed eotechs of mine that were years out of warranty for free. One was too ancient to fix so they gave me 50% off of any sight they sell.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a tan EXPS3 and loved it, but I sent it back in when they offered the refund. I read all this terrible stuff on this website and combined with the fact that I stood to actually make $200 on the deal, I sent it back in.

I have a new tan EXPS3 showing up tomorrow. I'll take my chances because the EOTechs are the only RDS style optics that I like.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought 1 new EOTech when I received my refund checks and 3 new Aimpoint Pro's. I returned the original Eotech's not because they didn't work, getting replacement cost with the ability to upgrade 4 EOTech's that were six to eight years old was too good to pass up.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 12:35:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought 1 new EOTech when I received my refund checks and 3 new Aimpoint Pro's. I returned the original Eotech's not because they didn't work, getting replacement cost with the ability to upgrade 4 EOTech's that were six to eight years old was too good to pass up.
View Quote
Aimppints have horrible parallax error compared to eotech. Not much of an upgrade IMO.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 12:35:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I saw the cold shift and dumped mine.  That said it rocked close up and fast
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Don’t care who hates them, I kept mine and bought more since the recall.
View Quote
I didn't buy more but I kept mine because I do do like them, the EXPS line specifically.  I'll worry about it when mine actually fails.  I'm not going into battle with it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I dig holo sights and EOtech. I prefer their capabilities over Aimpoint...wish they had more battery life...but I understand why they don't and its a not a problem....batteries don't cost that much and my rig can carry spares.

Having said that...I am giving the Vortex UH1 a try this time around.

For all the bashing that EOtech gets on thermal drift under extreme temp change....ALL red dot sights do it...even Aimpoint...Aimpoint claims "parallax" free as well...yet they exhibit it (some models fairly severely) and its been proven...so has the MRO (which is just plain ridiculous parallax)....so the people that call out L3...are you calling out the rest for misinformation as well?

I like EOtech because their design really mitigates parallax...which to me is the most important in a RDS second to toughness...the sight that has the best parallax control is crucial because of more accurate shots when not centered and off cheek weld.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Eotech has the worst customer service i've EVER encountered. I've had an XPS 2 on order for well over a month and after having it get stolen by some UPS employee at one of their distribution centers, i cant get EOtech to pick up a phone or answer an email as to when i get my compensation back. If you've ever actually talked to an Eotech employee id like to shake your hand because i dont think that division of L3 is actually staffed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#25]
yes, much hate. miserable battery life.

you guys that hate aimpoints because of paralax shifting crack me up. you're in love with a sight that has thermal shift, which at the end of the day is the same problem with a different name.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
yes, much hate. miserable battery life.

you guys that hate aimpoints because of paralax shifting crack me up. you're in love with a sight that has thermal shift, which at the end of the day is the same problem with a different name.
View Quote
I’ll take a worst case scenario of 2 MOA over a hundred degrees F temp change instead of 9MOA of parallax with zero temp shift from a dogshit aimpoint micro.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Love mine
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
L3 has excellent customer service. They’ve fixed eotechs of mine that were years out of warranty for free. One was too ancient to fix so they gave me 50% off of any sight they sell.
View Quote
I asked.  They said, "No".

Their offer to sell me another seemed like a bad joke, on me.  3/3 optics failed sitting in storage followed by an offer to buy another???  Uh, no thanks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I will be running the Vortex UH1 soon.

I love Aimpoint but come on fanboys...Aimpoint has thermal drift as well along with parallax.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 12:51:10 AM EDT
[#31]
never did, carried one around every day in two wars and never failed. I find them easier to aim with than aim points.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Are all the latest revision indicated by the logo change?
View Quote
Yes, that's a clear indication. Although, they were also fixed for several months before the rebranding, so some of the fixed ones have the old logo. On those, you can only tell by the month of manufacture on the box and comparing that to the manufactured month cutoff specified for them to replace the optics.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't hate them. I actually like the recticle and sight body better than Aimpoints. That being said, I don't trust them because of my own personal experience and very well known bad reputation.

Aimpoints are way more reliable and battery life is MUCH better.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Never hated them.  I actually love the large FOV and the reticle design. Very fast and very heads up. Better than Aimpoint in that regard. But never felt they were serious fighting optics.

Obvious reasons discussed ad nauseum by critics include: battery life, controls, auto-off .... too complicated, too much. Electronic optics in and of themselves complicate matters, so the simplest, strongest, most bomb-proof, failure proof are the best choice - and really, that's only Aimpoint and some Trijicons...

As far as the whole POI shift due to extreme temps...I think this is a non-issue for 99.99% of scenarios and people. Most will never encounter that kind of temperature extreme. And even if they do, the shift isn't enough to matter in any kind of practical sense for CQB or the ranges that most would use it at.

The oldest models, with the worst possible shift are +/- 5 MOA. With a more common, realistic shift being 3.5 MOA extreme, newer models under 2 MOA.

This matters for soldiers, who would be making shots at 200-500 meters or longer and who can encounter temp extremes on patrol in some regions of the world. For some kind of home-defense or SHTF scenario, assuming there's such a radical temperature shift which I doubt - assuming the worst possible shift on your specific sample, 5 MOA won't matter at 50 yards or under.....

Don't mean to sound condescending, but the vast majority of people I've met and seen at the range and elsewhere in the shooting community do not even have solid zeros anyway. When I test their setups, they can be as much as 5 MOA off anyway. Most people just aren't very good at sighting in. They don't have a steady setup. Nor do they have an exact distance to work with even at ranges can be off a couple yards. Most ammo isn't match grade, and neither are their barrels - so groupings can be sizable even at short ranges so estimating the true center of a group and determining real fliers vs just large groups is difficult. A lot of tactical shooters do not take into account things like point of impact shift for a barrel that is hot vs cold....things hunters and precision shooters know very well. Finally, there's shooter skill. Honestly, even off a bench most people can't shoot a tight group.

All these things makes getting a solid, tight groups tough and thus getting a solid zero tougher. Makes the whole thing moot.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Never hated mine. Just sent them in to EOTech for an update and one had delamination issue. Received back 2 weeks later and they’ve never missed a beat.

I just don’t feel like my AR collection is complete without an EOTech, Aimpoint, and MRO
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#36]
After 6 years my EXPS2 finally lost the nitro purge.  Almost to the day of manufacture too......
They fixed it for free. I just got it back today actually.
I have a 512 & an XPS as well. Problem free for now but I will not be buying another Eotech again.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I sent mine in for the refund.

They knew about the problem, and didn't come clean about it.

Three of my kids are in the service.
One Soldier and Two Airmen.

All I could think about was a friendly fire accident...
And one of them would get hurt.

FUCK EOTECH.
View Quote
I use an eotech on my m4 in the military, including down range in afghanistan. Not sure how a *possible* 1 or 2 moa thermal shift (which I never experienced) could cause a friendly fire incident.

I agree it is poor form to know about a problem with your product and not be upfront about it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#38]
OTTOSEAR

The same can be said about companies claiming parallax free on their red dots...I don't see you calling them out...Aimpoint and others also have THERMAL DRIFT....yet you don't hear a lick about that...

EVERY PIECE OF GEAR, especially optics...will shift at different temperatures...no matter what...period. Materials contract or expand based on temperature changes...polymer or steel or aluminum react different to heat or cold...it comes down to their composition at which range it will change characteristics.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 6:28:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Still amazed people think this thermal drift thing impacts hem in any way. Don’t matter to the guys carrying them in deserts or cold weather but bill in Ohio can’t have it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Yeah the thermal drift argument crap is annoying...every optic will experience it...PERIOD. Do you ever wonder why NO optics company claim "free of thermal dift"...because EVERY ONE OF THEM has it.

You should check your zero periodically...no matter what...its part of owning a piece of tool. Imagine if a CNC machine wasn't periodically checked for accuracy...hmmm.

Parallax is a bigger issue on RDS in my opinion...as their use is geared towards speed, more dynamic, off cheek situations vs stationary like a magnified optics...
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Oh look, EOTech. Clearly not a serious gun user like the internet guys

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#43]
And another one. Somebody please explain to these guys that their gear isn’t combat worthy before they have to do something important. Like the biggest kill mission in US military history. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I love ‘em, simply due to the fact I can buy them in the US and get them delivered in NL, as the Acogs don’t
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
And another one. Somebody please explain to these guys that their gear isn’t combat worthy before they have to do something important. Like the biggest kill mission in US military history. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/37093/76B2035C-AE28-438F-BCCA-85556B7C8EFE-511729.JPG
View Quote
and even after all the fiasco...the EOtech is still in use in theater today :)

I am getting really excited for my UH-1...
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I enjoy using my Eotechs. No issues.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

and even after all the fiasco...the EOtech is still in use in theater today :)

I am getting really excited for my UH-1...
View Quote
And they will be because the issues that Jim from Ohio thinks will hurt his optic the guys hunting BinLaden at his house didn’t worry about.

Only issues I had in two different deserts was wishing the batteries lasted longer.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Enjoy the delamination and nitrogen leaking after a year.  All four of mine did that and I even had 2 of the exps3 models.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Enjoy the delamination and nitrogen leaking after a year.  All four of mine did that and I even had 2 of the exps3 models.
View Quote
Lol 2 of mine over  a decade old, one of which was blown up and exposed to insane temp changes and sandblasted on a regular basis didn’t happen.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#50]
1911XDM...Those issues have been solved since Aug 2014...and even if you are out of warranty...L3 has been covering those under warranty...even after the warranty has expired...next
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top