BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same issue of the light turning on under recoil and not turning off. SF customer support said it was something to do with a bad battery casing. When I looked at the battery, I couldn’t see anything that looked damaged or off in some way, but I certainly didn’t know exactly what to look for. I’m thinking they sent a new battery in the return box.

Headed to the range today, but didn’t bring that rifle. I’ll make sure I grab that one next week and see if the issue is still there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny seeing this thread, my first 640df completely crapped out after 80 rounds
Swapped it out and new one is flickering with full battery and no movement
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
My update:

I said screw it and refund me. Props to Surefire for being up front with me and honoring their product when I didnt even buy direct from them. Currently have a check coming in the mail.

Replaced my M600DF with a Modlite PLHv2 and a modbutton lite, works awesome. But I would expect so for a price bump.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been down this road with two tan M640DF's. Surefire is refunding me the money. Both of them flicker and dim when you drop the bolt with both 123's and their 18650.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been down this road with two tan M640DF's. Surefire is refunding me the money. Both of them flicker and dim when you drop the bolt with both 123's and their 18650.
View Quote

I haven’t made it to the range, but I’ll have to drop the bolt a couple time to see what happens. Brightness looks good with the 18650 and static rifle. Hopefully that doesn’t change under recoil.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a handheld DF that would get stuck in the on position and eventually quit working entirely. Surefire did replace the tailcap first, which fixed the getting stuck in the on position problem. Later they replaced both the light and the battery when it completely quit. I also have a DF head that I have been using on a Modlite 18350 body both handheld and weapon mounted. It has not experienced any of the problems that the Surefire body experienced. I suspect there are some issues with the mass of the 18650 moving around.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:16:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember seeing light mods for sure fire executive lights years ago to accommodate 18650’s. The body of the light would be drilled to a larger diameter to fit the 18650.

If you wanted to use cr123’s there were plastic sleeves which would have to hold the cr123’s in place IIRC.

I wonder if the problem with these lights is the fact that they designed them to work with both types of batteries without a sleeve or spacer and this is why we see problems like what I experienced.

Look at how the head is designed compared to standard m600’s. There is not a normal battery contact spring there either. I wonder if this to do with the additional mass of the 18650 or the contact area being different between the batteries.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My update:

I said screw it and refund me. Props to Surefire for being up front with me and honoring their product when I didnt even buy direct from them. Currently have a check coming in the mail.

Replaced my M600DF with a Modlite PLHv2 and a modbutton lite, works awesome. But I would expect so for a price bump.
View Quote

Did you just call them and request a refund?  

I’m experiencing a similar issue with with M640DF and SureFire tape switch and I’m pretty disappointed this what SureFire has devolved into.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Did you just call them and request a refund?  

I’m experiencing a similar issue with with M640DF and SureFire tape switch and I’m pretty disappointed this what SureFire has devolved into.
View Quote

Emailed customer support
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#10]
GLAD I read this thread before buying a new light for a rifle build!  X SureFire it seems.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:46:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Emailed customer support
View Quote

I have 2 m600dfs that dim and slightly flicker when I first use the pressure pad. Both do this so I wasn't sure if it was normal. The lights seem to work otherwise, just flicker a little at first.

I'm wondering if I should email SF I'd like to get a replacement or even downgrade to a scout. It bothers me a 350+ set up does this. I was going to put on EE and be honest but why when surefire should fix it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I ordered a 640U due to complaints on the DF.

Hoping mine is issue free.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Surefire did something to mine on warranty, but didn’t say what. I still had dimming issues with the supplied Surefire rechargeable 18650, but not nearly as bad. With Surefire CR123s no issues.

It’s BS that I can’t use the rechargeable 18650, but it’s better than taking a huge hit or passing the POS to someone else. Maybe when I shell out the cash for a Modlite, I’ll be able to use my Surefire 18650s.

I still haven’t tried a mod button, or similar.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Surefire did something to mine on warranty, but didn’t say what. I still had dimming issues with the supplied Surefire rechargeable 18650, but not nearly as bad. With Surefire CR123s no issues.

It’s BS that I can’t use the rechargeable 18650, but it’s better than taking a huge hit or passing the POS to someone else. Maybe when I shell out the cash for a Modlite, I’ll be able to use my Surefire 18650s.

View Quote

I'll test different combos this weekend but all my Modlites, arisaka, and regular scouts don't do this. I'll run a modbutton or be honest with EE if surefire does nothing.  They seem to work but for that kind of money I don't feel good about it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can always just buy the modlite head and use everything else you already have.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You can always just buy the modlite head and use everything else you already have.
View Quote

Actually I'll probably do this not sure.

They work fine I guess for use aside from slightly dimming at first then pop back bright. I need to get used to the smaller pressure pad of the modbuttons or use regular push buttons.

I need to see all the combos and I need a tan light next so I have to figure some stuff out.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe, but I’ll probably just get the full set up and put the SF on another rifle. If I remember correctly, the MIL/Vet discount is pretty good.

SF seems to be fine with 123s, just not the rechargeable.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone else have a problem getting the M640 onto a pic rail with the included mount?  On mine the "finger" that goes into the slot is too wide.  I've tried pushing it in from the top and the side - no go either way.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone else have a problem getting the M640 onto a pic rail with the included mount?  On mine the "finger" that goes into the slot is too wide.  I've tried pushing it in from the top and the side - no go either way.
View Quote

Mine have no issies fitting Bushmaster, Troy, or Ultimak rails. I assume the pic mount is the exact same on the 640 and 340 and have both types.

Not to ask the obvious, but it isn't a Weaver rail is it?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top