Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/11/2021 9:32:55 AM EDT
On my AR I've said I'm putting together, it isnt a flattop  I'm stuck with the enormous handle. I've seen ones called "clamshell" they look smaller than what mine has, like mine can literally be used as a carrying handle it's so big. In the box I found it all in, I also found an extremely rusty long thing with rails on it... I asked my grandpa and he showed me it went on top of the carrying handle like so. So I've been wondering if I can work with what I've got to turn this into a decently long range setup in the hundreds of yards, maybe three or four. That would require being able to hold a zero and mounting a scope. Which all falls apart if the scope mount wobbles or won't hold a zero, so will this do it? I can buy a different handle scope mount I guessed you'd call it, if I need to. As I think both the upper I've got and mount is from the possible early to mid 80's, but thats on circumstantial evidence, any way to tell a year of MFG with this upper? I can't find a single mark or number to tell. Thxies <3
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A.R.M.S. #02

M16 carry handle scope mount
View Quote

These work well I'm told....think they or a clone were used on the Colt Delta Elite AR with pretty good results.

For the distance you're talking about rifling twist,ammo selection will be VERY important.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

These work well I'm told....think they or a clone were used on the Colt Delta Elite AR with pretty good results.

For the distance you're talking about rifling twist,ammo selection will be VERY important.
View Quote

Colt Delta Elites did use A.R.M.S. made mounts..they weren't clones

but I've always wondered why they went with the Tasco scope
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A.R.M.S. #02

View Quote

This.
The one I bought back in the day had instructions stating that you might have to tap it on the first time with a rubber/plastic mallet.   It was rock solid unlike just about every other type of carry handle mount I've tried.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#5]
No.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Cheap carry handles mounts can range from what you find. The guys said right. Arms made the best one.

Also search for a “leatherwood””
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A.R.M.S. #02

View Quote

I deeply thank you for your suggestion, I've no problem spending money on a good mount. I remember before when I was still young enough that all was given to me, before I bought stuff myself. That I thought an expensive rifle would be good with an... Eh $75 dollar scope. I had zero clue that scopes outta cost near the same amount as the rifle system. Of course this was back when there wasn't the third though fifteenth requirement to spend $1300 on a stock alone, then separate trigger system... Then gotta buy a muzzle brake and bipod that add up to half the cost of the original rifle. Pay somebody to put all that together because why would you ever do that yourself, and still can't hit the broad side of a barn and blame it on anything but yourself. That of course is a parody of so many of today's shooters, especially when they never grew up shooting.  The industry I think is half the problem by encouraging it along with ads that make someone like that believe they'll be the best if they buy their way up the ladder hahahaha but I'm gonna buy that and use one of my redfields and see what kinda squirrel's souls I can harvest with a setup as quick as such. I think the eye relief will also be great without needing to squish my face to the stock to see.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A.R.M.S. #02

I'm going to spend the money on that good of a carrying handle scope mount, thanks. I've been a rifleman from an early age so all those variables I'm aware of, a few up to four hundred yards is what I'm gonna expect good accuracy up to from these load's 55gr bullets with a 1/9 barrel and haven't yet checked out which powder I'm gonna choose. But I get that same kind of accuracy from my dad's Ruger No1 in 5.56, not sure why he chose to get a Ruger No1 in that but maybe it was to use interchangeable ammo from his AR's he loved so much. And I do mean 5.56 not Rem 223 aka the older less hot round. The barrel though I will ask a separate question eventually on, but I've no clue what the heck it is as far as fatness, it's twist is regular it's length is, but the thickness is between bull and Hbar. Never even heard of something between those kinds but I took a micrometer and went over the specs of it and sellers of bull and Hbars, it's in between and weird. Any clue?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a Colt A2 Csrry handle set up with the Colt mount and the ''armored'' Colt 3x9 [tasco] scope with the cheekpiece. As long as you don't cant the rifle, it'll put them where you want them to go.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top