Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2022 9:27:23 PM EDT
OK, so I built two identical rifles awhile back but I ended up using a VLTOR low profile clamp on gas block on one of them because at the time I didn't want the extra step of sending the barrel to ADCO to get a GB pinned on. Now I'm wondering if I should pull the barrel and get a proper pinned block for the ultimate strength or of the VLTOR clamp on block will hold up to abuse. I do have the handguard covering it so there is no worry of bumping it.

Right now I only have around 450rds through it and the screws have not worked loose but I haven't used the gun hard either.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Pinned gas blocks are definitely more secure, however q properly installed clamp on gas block, if it's protected underneath the handguard will not just come loose on its own.  Especially after it gets carboned up after a thousand rounds or so.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Stronger than most think if installed properly.

There was a write up some years ago regarding a VLTOR clamp on FSBGB , the sight base was modified so that a torque wrench could be applied while the upper receiver was secured in a vise.

Damage at the index pin/slot occurred after several torque sequences of at/near 100 ft lbs....the clamp did not spin.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There was a write up some years ago regarding a VLTOR clamp on FSBGB , the sight base was modified so that a torque wrench could be applied while the upper receiver was secured in a vise.

Damage at the index pin/slot occurred after several torque sequences of at/near 100 ft lbs....the clamp did not spin.
View Quote

That's pretty strong. I don't remember there being a torque spec for the screws when I installed it so I got them gorilla tight. I did not use any thread locker because I figured the heat from firing would just soften it anyway.

This rifle was supposed to be the "training" rifle to the other one that has the pinned GB but I used a limited run lower receiver on it and it's mostly become a safe queen. But you never know when it might be needed for something serious.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 1:56:32 AM EDT
[#4]
My 308 AR has a Superlative Arms clamp on block under the handguard, so I am not worried about that one. My custom 556 AR's barrel came with a low pro gas block secured to it with set screws. I reinstalled the set screws after installing and torquing the barrel nut and it worked fine of course, but I don't trust the set screws to hold it in place as much as I do clamping force (barrel isn't dimpled). I went ahead and drove in a roll pin for a trigger guard to make it super duper secure for peace of mind.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve got a clamp on DD gas block that’s been on an abused rifle and have had no issues. I’ve actually got another in the parts Bin that I’m going to use on another build.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the clamp on is fine. I mean look at motorcycle triple clamps. The fork tubes are slick and are held in place with two clamps per tube. They have to face a fair amount of push and pull and I can’t ever remember seeing fork tubes moving in the clamps.
Me personally, I think that we worry too much about a gas block moving. Especially given that all it does now most of the time is connect the gas tube to the barrel and is usually protected from outside forces by the handguard.
Now if it were the old triangle front sight that’s exposed and used for a sling and bayonet mount I’d have more concern.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The clamp on will be fine, have two of the exact same one (VLTOR) as well as two Daniel Defense's. Zero issues. Just don't overtorque the screws and snap them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.optics2.html#torque

OP if the clamp on gb worked fine so far I wouldn’t mess with it

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I've never had any problems with clamp front sights.

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's the one.

Been a long minute.
MADE IT HOT

Thanks Frens.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Piggybacking on this thread.

What's the consensus between stainless steel vs nitrided/melonite gas blocks? Which one is more better/durable in the long run other than the color?

Thanks

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:What's the consensus between stainless steel vs nitrided/melonite gas blocks?
View Quote

Nitride (Melonite) will hold up better for long term use. Think of Nitride as "all black case hardening" if you will. It's truly a great metal treatment.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Piggybacking on this thread.

What's the consensus between stainless steel vs nitrided/melonite gas blocks? Which one is more better/durable in the long run other than the color?

Thanks

View Quote

I would guess melonite, but has anyone ever worn out a gas block?   Gas port...sure.  Maybe even pin holes in the gas tube....but an actual block?

Sounds bad...but between melonite and SS, I would probably go with which one looks better on the build...or maybe, which one cost less.  

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top