Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2020 5:09:52 PM EDT
Who here is a disco spring expert?

Aero ships their fcg - which is made by schmid tool, same as colt - with a black, super stiff disco spring.
The springs in my guns are softer, including a set i bought that is also comprised of schmid cast parts.

Who knows what's up with these springs?

Did mil guns ever use different stiffness springs?

Also, who makes the green springs?

THanks
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Getting ready to change into someone more comfortable. Name changes coming.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#2]
double
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes there are different springs, amount of coils, measurement differences, and material differences. Best I can tell right or wrong there is a stock number for the old rifle spring, two different ones for newer rifles with three shot burst triggers, and one newest one for the newest carbine. Coils seem to vary from 7 to 71/2 depending on the spring. Material varies between two types stainless and music wire. Wire diameter measures without considering tolerances between .020" to .024". Lengths varies between .350" to .366".
I got most of that by measuring known Colt springs I bought. You get lots of different counts and heights on commercial springs I have checked and the wire diameter on most of them was the .020".
Numbers I found were:
61925  (13629)

The new stiffer .024" music wire spring are showing up know.
View Quote

That's the black-ish one? Looks like the dark port door spring

I got a free length of .380", .024" wire diameter, and i am not good at counting coils, don't seem to measure up to what I see for extractor springs, but I am counting 6-1/2 rorations from end to end.

while I have you here, is it really true that the copper colored colt spring is the latest and best extractor springs, to be used with insert and oring?

And, where do I get more of these stiff springs?

Any evidence that the stiff springs AREN'T the best? Won't cause premature disco / hammer wear?
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The newer stiff .024" disconnector springs I just put in bag and don't use. I am sure they have a purpose but I have never had a problem with the older green stainless ones and they seem easier to install because of the small wire diameter.

The extractor spring wire diameter changed and they made the insert stiffer or a higher durometer rating. I think they colored them gold for identification. Brownell sells them under there Colt schematic and they are available from other vendors also. The o-ring is just something places or manufactures are adding on. I have a pile of them where I take them off. Never cared for how hard they make it for the extractor to function or the case to be pushed off by the ejector.
Extractor spring
https://www.brownells.com/schematics/colt-/ar-15-bolt-carrier-assembly-sid802.aspx#s10818sid802
Two of the disconnector springs Bottom green one is the 7 coil .020" number and the black one above looks to be the 7 coil .024" spring.
https://www.brownells.com/schematics/colt-/m16-m4-lower-receiver-fire-control-full-auto-sid853.aspx#r3sid853

The lengths on springs sometime have tolerances, sometimes just say reference, and sometimes say other things like after they are fully compressed. They generally give a compressed value range it has to meet. The wire diameter, coil count, and outside dimensions on most springs I have measured were in tolerances but lengths varied around a referenced number.

To give an example the green disconnector spring is .350". If you measure a new one it may be .370". If you fully compress it coils touching it should be shorter when you let off closer to the .350" number.
View Quote

Send me the orings if you don't want em! Thought they were added per mil spec, and there is the adectodal story of losing spring and working off oring alone froating around here somewhere.

The disco springs are both out of stock.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Disconnector springs can be found a lot cheaper a lot of places. I just linked that for general info on the springs.
View Quote

I think i want the gold ones. I have a thing about everything being the same, so id just buy a handful. Not cheap, tho.

Someone sent me thread screen shot saying that green disco springs are so people dont confuse them with bolt catch plunger.

Also, daniel defense uses green disco springs for what its worth.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#8]
All my loose disconnector springs are different from each other.

I’m sure you all think they are an afterthought, but if someone can recommend a brand and vendor of good quality military supplied disconnect or springs from whom I can buy a handful without breaking the bank I would appreciate it
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Try Damage Industries for both disconnector springs, the older "green" and newer USGI longer, stiffer disconnector-springs discussed earlier in the thread.  

They also have a good USGI-copy of the Factory Colt Defense "gold" extractor-spring for less than a $1.00.  It is a good, stout extractor-spring, much stiffer than the old, soft "M16" spring that everyone else sells with their new BCG's that comes a rubber o-ring.  

Their "five-coil" extractor-springs are fine but they aren't as stiff as their USGI "copper"-colored springs for less than a buck, they're just longer and cost more.  Shipping is $2.00 for anything.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I don’t want the green ones I saw some really goofy ones around which had instead of a flared first coil they just grab one and then pull it out, so that coil is not concentric. Also an armorer told me every time he had a customer with gun doubling it was green spring.

I don’t like the extra long extractor springs at all. I like the idea of the new Colt style And I would probably just buy the real ones but I worry I would not be able to get them seated in the pocket
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I really want to know exactly what set up the military runs in their m4 for the extractor, oring, etc
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#13]
20a looks like an o-ring
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I’m trying to decide if it’s overkill to use the colt Spring and oring. I guess what i want is whatever is on the current military guns, both extractor and disconnector. Does anybody know?
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Try Damage Industries for both disconnector springs, the older "green" and newer USGI longer, stiffer disconnector-springs discussed earlier in the thread.  

They also have a good USGI-copy of the Factory Colt Defense "gold" extractor-spring for less than a $1.00.  It is a good, stout extractor-spring, much stiffer than the old, soft "M16" spring that everyone else sells with their new BCG's that comes a rubber o-ring.  

Their "five-coil" extractor-springs are fine but they aren't as stiff as their USGI "copper"-colored springs for less than a buck, they're just longer and cost more.  Shipping is $2.00 for anything.
View Quote

I was going to get the port door spring but the short leg has some weird kink in it in the photo
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#18]
OK so I made some calls and here's what I found.

Connecticut Spring and Stamping makes dozens of disco and extr spring designs to order, but two are mil spec

DISCONNECTOR:
    WHITE 9349116  .366" free length .020" wire diameter
    GREEN 8448594  .350" free length .020" wire diameter <---- this is the newer design. Would not tell me if this is what fn uses in m4a1, but I read between the lines that it is

EXTRACTOR:
    8448753 .020" diameter wire.

From FN:
Was not 100% sure on the military guns, but the commercial guns get regular extractor springs not fat ones like colt gold ones, and still use o-rings

Link Posted: 12/15/2020 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You just seem to be missing you where already given the part numbers and the green one is not the newest and not the M4 or M4A1 one it is the last number. The M4 is actually a three shot burst that uses two springs a 9349116 on one side and the newer 12972695 listed with the thicker wire on the other side. You can look the newest number up in the newer military TM manual. The drawings most all this are online all you have to do is be able to find and read them.

What do you mean “the last number”? Last number in whose post? The one where “i was told” lists the black one as the last number. Sorry, i cannot figure out the meaning of that sentence. Sincerely.

The new copper plated extractor spring everyone calls gold is not .020" it is .026". Easy enough to measure. You can find all the part numbers and follow them through the years in the back page drawings and info posted in the military Technical Manuals. Even if you can find the drawings online you can order the Colt parts by number and count the coils and measure the wires to get the information. Calling companies will get you nowhere because if they have other companies info to manufacture something they are likely under agreement not to release the information or design.
View Quote

Thats why i say they hinted with a wink and a nod.
And u might be surprised what people will tell you if you get a good convo going.

I do realize copper plated is thicker gage. I also see no evidence anyone is using them in mil guns.

Sorry you lost me with that first sentence you are saying burst uses white and black spring, And M4 A1 f/a uses just the black spring?

Homeboy definitely “told” me FN uses the green one so I don’t know.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The M4 three shot burst has two disconnector springs and two disconnectors in a wide trigger with two pockets for the springs.  One part number goes on one side for the cam disconnector and the other part number goes on the other side for the other disconnector.
View Quote

And the m4a1 uses the black spring only, right?

Hey if the hammer spring rotates the cam, what does the cam inner spring do? Tensions it forward?

https://youtu.be/CF38tBn4Jhc
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Is colt

SP63026

The black disconnector spring / .024” dia wire??
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Just going by the coil count and picture on Brownells web site it appears to be.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#25]
How long do disconnector springs last on average?  Rough round count before replacement?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top