Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2021 6:00:33 PM EDT
What type of drill bit is best to use? And what technique? I made a standard front sight post for an AR22 into a "clamp" on. Drilling and threading holes in the bottom front and back and the traditional pin spots. So I would like to dimple for the two bottom set screws.
 Also do I start with small diameter bits and work up.
Set screws are #8
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Get an SLR Dimple jig and a Bosch Cobalt drill bit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#2]
knock the finish off with the touch of the tip of a dremel tool abrasive and then drill after nitride layer broken through.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
knock the finish off with the touch of the tip of a dremel tool abrasive and then drill after nitride layer broken through.
View Quote

Great idea.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#4]
also making a little flat spot before drilling helps a lot.  much easier drilling  on a flat surface as opposed to a round one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#5]
HSS will work just fine if you use a vise and drill press.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Get an SLR Dimple jig and a Bosch Cobalt drill bit.
View Quote

Add to the above a transfer punch.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never used a transfer punch. I just got the cobalt 5-32 bit with the SLR dimple jig.

I'm assuming I need to simply use the SLR jig, center the gas hole, put the dimple screw in and just tap a 5/32 transfer punch with a rubber mallet, and then finish the rest off with the bit? To my understanding, transfer punches simply help the alignment of the bit?

Any recommendations on transfer punches?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Never used a transfer punch. I just got the cobalt 5-32 bit with the SLR dimple jig.

I'm assuming I need to simply use the SLR jig, center the gas hole, put the dimple screw in and just tap a 5/32 transfer punch with a rubber mallet, and then finish the rest off with the bit? To my understanding, transfer punches simply help the alignment of the bit?

Any recommendations on transfer punches?
View Quote
I have this transfer punch --> https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2NSBWW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Correct, it just creates a divot to center your bit and so the drill bit doesn't jump. Just use a regular hammer to tap. Stay level/straight with the Jig and drill slow and keep an eye on the depth and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have this transfer punch --> https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2NSBWW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Correct, it just creates a divot to center your bit and so the drill bit doesn't jump. Just use a regular hammer to tap. Stay level/straight with the Jig and drill slow and keep an eye on the depth and you'll be fine.
View Quote

That one isn't circular. Does that matter?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That one isn't circular. Does that matter?
View Quote
Works fine, not sure what you mean by not circular? It's round.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#12]
What I did was make my front sight base a clamp on for a blowback .22. I tapped it for two set screws from the bottom plus two on each side where it traditionally is drilled for pinning. I got the 1/8 transfer punch and took one bottom set screw out and punched it, then put set screw back and punched the other bottom location. I made sure they were marked good. Then put the barrel in a padded vise and slowly started a hole with a cobalt 3/32 bit which did not seem to hardly get anywhere. It did give me enough to start the 5/32 cobalt bit and get a good dimple. The 1/8 transfer punch from ebay helped me make sure the punch was centered inside the tapped hole at the bottom of the FSB. Thanks for that suggestion!
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Double tap
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top