Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2021 5:00:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/16/2021 5:02:21 PM EST by GrimEReaper]
What type of drill bit is best to use? And what technique? I made a standard front sight post for an AR22 into a "clamp" on. Drilling and threading holes in the bottom front and back and the traditional pin spots. So I would like to dimple for the two bottom set screws.
 Also do I start with small diameter bits and work up.
Set screws are #8
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:06:00 PM EST
Get an SLR Dimple jig and a Bosch Cobalt drill bit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:58:53 PM EST
knock the finish off with the touch of the tip of a dremel tool abrasive and then drill after nitride layer broken through.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:22:23 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By reelserious:
knock the finish off with the touch of the tip of a dremel tool abrasive and then drill after nitride layer broken through.
View Quote

Great idea.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:00:21 PM EST
also making a little flat spot before drilling helps a lot.  much easier drilling  on a flat surface as opposed to a round one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:34:20 PM EST
HSS will work just fine if you use a vise and drill press.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:39:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By SouthernGunHand:
Get an SLR Dimple jig and a Bosch Cobalt drill bit.
View Quote

Add to the above a transfer punch.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:59:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By OTDR:

View Quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:05:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2021 2:06:22 PM EST by ahrion]
Originally Posted By OTDR:

View Quote

Never used a transfer punch. I just got the cobalt 5-32 bit with the SLR dimple jig.

I'm assuming I need to simply use the SLR jig, center the gas hole, put the dimple screw in and just tap a 5/32 transfer punch with a rubber mallet, and then finish the rest off with the bit? To my understanding, transfer punches simply help the alignment of the bit?

Any recommendations on transfer punches?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:21:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2021 2:26:33 PM EST by SouthernGunHand]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

Never used a transfer punch. I just got the cobalt 5-32 bit with the SLR dimple jig.

I'm assuming I need to simply use the SLR jig, center the gas hole, put the dimple screw in and just tap a 5/32 transfer punch with a rubber mallet, and then finish the rest off with the bit? To my understanding, transfer punches simply help the alignment of the bit?

Any recommendations on transfer punches?
View Quote
I have this transfer punch --> https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2NSBWW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Correct, it just creates a divot to center your bit and so the drill bit doesn't jump. Just use a regular hammer to tap. Stay level/straight with the Jig and drill slow and keep an eye on the depth and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:57:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By SouthernGunHand:
I have this transfer punch --> https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2NSBWW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Correct, it just creates a divot to center your bit and so the drill bit doesn't jump. Just use a regular hammer to tap. Stay level/straight with the Jig and drill slow and keep an eye on the depth and you'll be fine.
View Quote

That one isn't circular. Does that matter?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:25:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2021 6:32:43 PM EST by SouthernGunHand]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

That one isn't circular. Does that matter?
View Quote
Works fine, not sure what you mean by not circular? It's round.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:53:07 PM EST
What I did was make my front sight base a clamp on for a blowback .22. I tapped it for two set screws from the bottom plus two on each side where it traditionally is drilled for pinning. I got the 1/8 transfer punch and took one bottom set screw out and punched it, then put set screw back and punched the other bottom location. I made sure they were marked good. Then put the barrel in a padded vise and slowly started a hole with a cobalt 3/32 bit which did not seem to hardly get anywhere. It did give me enough to start the 5/32 cobalt bit and get a good dimple. The 1/8 transfer punch from ebay helped me make sure the punch was centered inside the tapped hole at the bottom of the FSB. Thanks for that suggestion!
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:55:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/30/2021 9:56:23 PM EST by GrimEReaper]
Double tap
Top Top