Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2022 12:23:48 PM EDT
I have a Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel .750GB journal. I have the one that that comes with an included lo pro gas block set up for pinned, set screwed. I'd like to dimple it for the set screws. Does anyone what the center to center spacing is? My old eyes aren't what they used to be.

Thanks John
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a caliper it is pretty easy to find out with the gas block. If not, you can just use it as a guide by tightening one of the screws up and doing one hole at a time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#2]
OP - I recommend you use a dumpling jig to get the hole aligned correctly to make the dimples.

My preference is the Kaw Valley Precision tool. It makes easy work of getting the dimples in the correct location.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#3]
If you feel you must dimple, one is plenty and the one under the gas port is the same on all of them.  Dimpling doesn't make the screws hold better, it only prevents the GB from rotating and if it is pinned you already have that covered.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I 2nd using a jig. Makes it idiot proof (me being the idiot, not the OP). The only one I can speak to is SLR, and it worked out well for me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the Kaw Valley jig. I wanted to know if anyone had dimpled a Hanson barrel that comes with the pin on /set screw block. By my measurements its .485. I guess I'll only do the first dimple and call it a day.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I dimple barrels with a jig in order to help gas block alignment and to secure the gas block so it won't rotate or shift.  Since that gas block is already pinned to the barrel the pin should accomplish the same and there's really no reason to dimple.  That assumes that the maker actually aligned the gas port when they drilled for the pin and I'd confirm that with a borescope or other means before trusting that the gas port is aligned (and I do the same to confirm that things are aligned even when I've dimpled with a jig.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#8]
While the Jig is the best, since pretty much all micro gas blocks are the same you buy a cheap $10 one and use that one for a jig.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 12:02:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While the Jig is the best, since pretty much all micro gas blocks are the same you buy a cheap $10 one and use that one for a jig.
View Quote

How exactly do you make a gas block dimpling jig out of a cheap gas block without having to grind the top off, drill and tap a hole and then make a drill bit sleeve?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How exactly do you make a gas block dimpling jig out of a cheap gas block without having to grind the top off, drill and tap a hole and then make a drill bit sleeve?
View Quote

Install gas block normally with one set screw, drill through the other threaded hole.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#11]
SLR makes a nice dumplin jig
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top