Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/12/2021 8:33:34 PM EDT
I've got a dimple on the tip of my firing pin.  It leaves a mark on all primers that I fire from this rifle.  Does this effect anything, or could this cause a pierced primer?

Update:
I contacted AimSurplus, who I had purchased this from, and they sent me out a replacement.  Great company, they stood behind their product!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I wouldn’t worry about it.

Edit to add someone post a barrel the other day that would pair nicely with that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#2]
just use a hone to take it off if you ever do something illegal with the gun so they can't match the brass
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.....so they can't match the brass
View Quote

Yeah, like that is all they look at.....
But then again, if you do plan on doing something illegal, don't worry about it....
They have room for you in a cell, with some homo named Bubba.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Just going to say, I have no plans to do anything illegal.  The rifle has an 18" White Oak Armament barrel.  Mainly shoot it for precision.  Just wondering if this pin can have any negative effects.

One benefit though, is it allows me to identify what brass came out of this rifle.  Just don't want it to cause a primer issue and damage my bolt.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:04:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Kind of depends if it leaves a crisp reverse image in the primer, that would point at nearly having a primer case failure.
If it leaves just a soft, rounded impression, you are probably OK.

But as DeNiro said in Ronin, Whenever there is doubt, there is no doubt...
Cheap part to replace.
If you had access to a lathe, you could re-contour it, but it would end up a little shorter.
If you just hone the tip so the dimple vanishes, then the tip would be flatter, and may cause some failures to ignite.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Replacement firing pins are $7.00 and everyone should have a couple in house. Put a new one in and save that one for emergency backup.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
just use a hone to take it off if you ever do something illegal with the gun so they can't match the brass
View Quote

Stupid posts like this do nothing but draw attention to us all as a group.

GD is full of stupid if you are feeling lonely.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Kind of depends if it leaves a crisp reverse image in the primer, that would point at nearly having a primer case failure.
If it leaves just a soft, rounded impression, you are probably OK.

But as DeNiro said in Ronin, Whenever there is doubt, there is no doubt...
Cheap part to replace.
If you had access to a lathe, you could re-contour it, but it would end up a little shorter.
If you just hone the tip so the dimple vanishes, then the tip would be flatter, and may cause some failures to ignite.
View Quote

It definitely leaves a crisp reverse image in the primers.  I have spare firing pins.  I'll swap it out.  Might use this one as a "Glock Tool" ??
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#9]
In my experience that is the normal indication of excessive wear and I would replace it.
A Glock tool would be a handy use for it.

Another thing I have done with a worn out pin is grind the tip off even more so that there is no way it can make contact with the primer.
I will install this pin in my rifle to give an extra level of protection when chambering live ammo and I am somewhere that I damn sure don't want a round going off.
Usually checking my reloads for proper chambering.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:50:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Another thing I have done with a worn out pin is grind the tip off even more so that there is no way it can make contact with the primer..
View Quote

That's an excellent use of them, particularly if you're using a rifle as a demonstrator in a classroom setting.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:11:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Firing pin has failed, needs replacing.  Could have been a pierced primer that caused damage.  Could have been bad metal.  Either way, it is begging to pierce another primer.  When it does, it will erode a little more and make it sharper, then it will start piercing more often until it is too short to fire.

Ignore pierced primers and you will also have erosion on the bolt face.

Long story short.  Buy a few.... they wear out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is not wear,  Hence center tip of FP broken from the FP being too hard and brittle still, nor plasma erosion if heat treated correctly, but the FP not heat treated correctly (not hard enough) to center tip peen, and would contact the supplier to have it replaced at N/C with one that was heat treated correctly instead.
View Quote

Yeah, I bought it the BCG from AimSurplus 7 years ago and I just now used it for a build.  I highly doubt AimSurplus is going to stand behind this product and replace the pin.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah, I bought it the BCG from AimSurplus 7 years ago and I just now used it for a build.  I highly doubt AimSurplus is going to stand behind this product and replace the pin.
View Quote

Update: I was wrong, AimSurplus did stand behind it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Broke my first FP recently at about 40k.  Around 15k noticed tip was cratered, worse than in the pic.  Interesting, the crater didn't enlarge significantly over the next 25k.  

No FTFires till the pin broke at the flange.  OK, that was a lie.  It still worked.  Didn't discover it till I pulled the cotter pin.

That said, it shouldn't crater at what I'm assuming is a very low round count.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Update: I was wrong, AimSurplus did stand behind it.
View Quote

CS at AIM is pretty damn hard to beat.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top