Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2018 3:28:54 PM EDT
I know these "help me pick an optic" threads suck a little. Doing my best to present a specific circumstance here for the hive:

Budget is $1500. Host is 10" 300BLK pistol. Possible HD use but primary function will be target shooting at 100m and less. I've been through this drill before and already have a Trijicon MRO, Aimpoint Comp M2, Spitfire AR, Leupold VXR 3-9, Vortex Venom, Burris FF3 on other weapons.

Needs:
I've decided that I want some magnification. Flexible on 3, 3.5, 4, or variable 1-6. I know most folks say no magnification for under 100m, but I want to be able to see more even at that range. Call it recon. Not Tier 1? Fine.
I don't want to have a separate magnifier. I have the Vortex magnifier and love it but I don't want one for this build.
I can work around inaccurate BDC reticles, so I don't feel limited to only 300 BLK models.

Conflicts:
I thought I wanted an ACOG and liked the idea of a no-battery solution, I can live with fixed 4X, and prices have come down some. I'm concerned about people taping chem-lights and LEDs on the FO because the reticle is too dim.

I could do an LED ACOG but if I'm going to be in the battery business, for that amount of money I can get a pretty good variable scope and have more flexibility.

I considered a Spitfire 3X but I'm not all that impressed with the 1X model I already have.  It's a good value but I don't want another one.

My ask:
Are my concerns about TA31 reticle brightness overblown? My life probably won't depend on it, but for $1500 I don't want to scab on light sources to make it real-world usable.
Is the Trijicon TR25 in the same boat for reticle brightness as the ACOG?
Should I get over myself and just pick up a Vortex Viper?

Thanks.

XOXOXO
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#1]
i run the 1.5X TA-44 on my SBR's and love it.  small, superb glass, rugged.  Love it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the most red-dot like ACOG with actual magnification (looking at you, TA44, 1.5x doesn't count).
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]
From my experience the fiber Acogs are actually too bright and require tape or a bicycle tube to cover up the fiber optic.

If you can afford a vortex razor 1-6 that's the way I would go, or TA-33.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I really want THIS Trijicon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#5]
The Browe combat optic might be one to consider based on your description and other optics you’ve considered. No first hand experience but it’s on the short list for my next build.  ETA: Better link for BCO.

I would also suggest the Steiner P4xi for consideration.  I have been very pleased with mine on a 5.56 carbine, and have considered another one for a 300BLK hunting upper.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish that Trijicon made a LED/ Fiber Optic combo instead of the Tritium. I think it's a better idea, as you can use the fiber optic outdoors and have a nice bright reticle then in the dark you can turn on the LED.
In my experience, the tritium hasn't been that useful. However, all of my tritium products are 3-6 years old.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know these "help me pick an optic" threads suck a little. Doing my best to present a specific circumstance here for the hive:

Budget is $1500. Host is 10" 300BLK pistol. Possible HD use but primary function will be target shooting at 100m and less. I've been through this drill before and already have a Trijicon MRO, Aimpoint Comp M2, Spitfire AR, Leupold VXR 3-9, Vortex Venom, Burris FF3 on other weapons.

Needs:
I've decided that I want some magnification. Flexible on 3, 3.5, 4, or variable 1-6. I know most folks say no magnification for under 100m, but I want to be able to see more even at that range. Call it recon. Not Tier 1? Fine.
I don't want to have a separate magnifier. I have the Vortex magnifier and love it but I don't want one for this build.
I can work around inaccurate BDC reticles, so I don't feel limited to only 300 BLK models.

Conflicts:
I thought I wanted an ACOG and liked the idea of a no-battery solution, I can live with fixed 4X, and prices have come down some. I'm concerned about people taping chem-lights and LEDs on the FO because the reticle is too dim.

I could do an LED ACOG but if I'm going to be in the battery business, for that amount of money I can get a pretty good variable scope and have more flexibility.

I considered a Spitfire 3X but I'm not all that impressed with the 1X model I already have.  It's a good value but I don't want another one.

My ask:
Are my concerns about TA31 reticle brightness overblown? My life probably won't depend on it, but for $1500 I don't want to scab on light sources to make it real-world usable.
Is the Trijicon TR25 in the same boat for reticle brightness as the ACOG?
Should I get over myself and just pick up a Vortex Viper?

Thanks.

XOXOXO
View Quote
Get the TR25 it has a dial you can adjust the brightness. The triangle is great for speed shooting and can be used for shooting a little further out. I have two TR24’s and I have three buddies with the TR25’s
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#8]
unless your target shooting at night the illumination on a ta31f is not going to be an issue. at least that has been my experience . I would consider an led model if I were to buy another but it wouldnt be a deal breaker .

I have a primary arms 1x6 with 7.62x39 / 300 blackout reticle on a 16 inch carbine  but I tried it on my 8.5 inch 300 blackout and it works well but If I was going tto stay with a low power varible on the pistol I would look for a lighter less bulky optic I here the leupold 1.25 x 4 power patrol optic is prety light .
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 1:20:28 AM EDT
[#9]
For a 10" 300BLK pistol, 100m and less, I wouldn’t use a magnified optic. Given your price point, Aimpoint T2.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a true red dot (with a 1500 budget anything is on the table) for under 100y.  Anything with magnification will just slow you down.  Any flavor of aimpoint would be my suggestion.  I couldn't use a pre89k MRO... the "1x" was literally worse than the 1x on my Triji accupower 1-8x.  I would like to try a post 89k put i'll have to actually get behind one before spending the $$.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Ta-33 can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm grateful for all the input. I think I'm going with the Trijicon Accupower 1-8. I found one for just over $1k. It's less than what I planned to spend and a lot more scope than I anticipated. Which is perfect in case my needs change later.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top