Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2018 9:37:57 AM EDT
I'm finishing up my Hunting rifle that will be used for Deer and Hog hunting. From what I can find these 2 came up in a Google search. Supposed to be designed for what my needs are...

Anyone here use them and have a preference? And why?

If it matters. I built this rifle for lightweight and minimum recoil. So, low mass BCG, spring and buffer, 14.5" barrel (1.5" suppressor), etc.

64 Grain Power Max Bonded by Winchester

79 Grain Terminal Shock by Dynamic Research Technologies
(DRT also has a 55 Grain round... Not sure which would be a better choice?)

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Rifle/Power-Max-Bonded/X223R2BP

https://drtammo.com/product/drt-terminalshock%C2%99-224-dia-79gr-projectile-50-pcs/
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#1]
What caliber?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Federal 62gr Fushion MSR is good stuff!

ETA: Assuming 5.56/223
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#4]
yes, sorry. .223 / 5.56
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a fan of .223/5.56 for deer or hogs, but if I were to use it, I would use the 64 grain stuff.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent choice for deer and hogs. Passes the Wal-Mart availability test (at least, .223 Fusion in general, unsure about the MSR specifically). Would recommend.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shot an Opossum at point blank range.

It did not play 'Possum.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Solid copper expanding bullets (Barnes 62 TSX) or bonded soft point (Speer 62/64 Gold Dot or 62 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw) are very good on whitetail inside 200 yards.  These expand reliably to about 2x caliber, break through bone, penetrate deeply, retain close to 100% of their weight, and usually leave an exit hole and wound.  Most deer and pigs are dead right there. That's what you want a hunting bullet to do.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Solid copper expanding bullets (Barnes 62 TSX) or bonded soft point (Speer 62/64 Gold Dot or 62 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw) are very good on whitetail inside 200 yards.  These expand reliably to about 2x caliber, break through bone, penetrate deeply, retain close to 100% of their weight, and usually leave an exit hole and wound.  Most deer and pigs are dead right there. That's what you want a hunting bullet to do.
View Quote
^^^THIS ^^^

Agree with every word in that order.
But my 62gr TSX are tipped,
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#12]
62gr Fusions, 62gr Gold Dots and my favorite, 62gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (FBIT3). Choose the one that shoots best in your rifle and itll be good for 2 and 4 legged critters.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve had excellent results with 64gr fusions
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#14]
With the prices of AR uppers and DIY parts you have to consider an upgrade to a bigger cartridge
I have been shooting the 6.8 SPC for 13 years and it is a stupid accurate cartridge and has waaaay more kinetic energy than the 5.56.  I put a Aero Precision Gamma 6.5 brake on my 16" AR Performance BBL and it is loud but the recoil is very negligible
The 6.8 uses a .270 caliber bullet and it just plain is a great hunting cartridge

Next is the 6.5 Grendel and it is also an awesome round
The availability of cheap Wolf ammo and great Hornady ammo it is also hard to beat for longer ranges
I have a 11" SBR and it is one of my favorite AR's
Also I have a 16" both are Alexander Arms

You also have to consider all the hunting ammo listed for the 5.56 costs the same as the 6.8 and 6.5 loads all of it costs around $1 a pop and more for copper Barnes loads
You are not saving any money shooting the .223
The chances of a deer especially running off are way higher in a .223 than the 6.8 or 6.5 it's just plain physics
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
With the prices of AR uppers and DIY parts you have to consider an upgrade to a bigger cartridge
I have been shooting the 6.8 SPC for 13 years and it is a stupid accurate cartridge and has waaaay more kinetic energy than the 5.56.  I put a Aero Precision Gamma 6.5 brake on my 16" AR Performance BBL and it is loud but the recoil is very negligible
The 6.8 uses a .270 caliber bullet and it just plain is a great hunting cartridge

The availability of cheap Wolf ammo and great Hornady ammo it is also hard to beat for longer ranges

You also have to consider all the hunting ammo listed for the 5.56 costs the same as the 6.8 and 6.5 loads all of it costs around $1 a pop and more for copper Barnes loads
The chances of a deer especially running off are way higher in a .223 than the 6.8 or 6.5 it's just plain physics
View Quote
Except OP has a .223, and his post is asking specifically about .223. Assuming proper bullet selection and shot placement (both of which matter more than the caliber, regardless of the caliber being discussed), it’ll kill things every bit as dead as a 6.X or 7.X cartridge. It’s a deer/hog, not a goddamned sexual tyrannosaurus.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
glad to know, going hogging in feb
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I use 62 fusions for deer and hogs.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I have used 62 grain fusion,64gr power points,62gr gold dots,62gr Barnes tipped rounds and 75gr hornady interlocks on southern whitetail dear and hogs. All have done the job pretty dang good. Last hog hunt I grabbed the wrong ammo can and had to use black hills 77gr tipped 5.56 and it was great. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them. Pick what shoots the best in your gun and go with it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Care to recomend a place to buy it from?

I checked Wal-Mart and the do not carry it. I'm not local to any fire arms stores. So ordering it from somewhere is my best bet.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#20]
So shot placement is all that matters?
Why is it illegal to hunt with a .223 in many states?
I wonder how many deer run off with somebody shooting them with a .223.  How many regular deer hunters with bolt guns go shoot .223 at deer?
Right
So if shot placement is all that matters then we all should carry .22lr pistols and shoot for the heart
I guess I should put my .45 HST's up that expand to .90" and grab the P-22 next time I go out

I shot two pigs with 5.56 loads in the past
One I shot the fucker three times at 50 yards in the shoulder and front chest after he stopped running and looked square at me he ran off squealing into the bushes
Second one I shot running away with 75 grain Hornady TAP and I had to shoot him twice and them a close range kill shot to put him out of his misery
I just shot a 120 lb sow in the ass running full blast away with my 6.8 110 BTHP Hornady and it fragged and blew two big ass holes in her somach and she dropped about 20 yards away
I am absolutely certain it would have run off if I shot it with .223
You don't get goods shots when they are hauling ass in the dark so yes bigger is better
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wonder how many deer run off with somebody shooting them with a .223.  How many regular deer hunters with bolt guns go shoot .223 at deer?
Right
So if shot placement is all that matters then we all should carry .22lr pistols and shoot for the heart
I guess I should put my .45 HST's up that expand to .90" and grab the P-22 next time I go out

One I shot the fucker three times at 50 yards in the shoulder and front chest after he stopped running and looked square at me he ran off squealing into the bushes
Second one I shot running away with 75 grain Hornady TAP and I had to shoot him twice and them a close range kill shot to put him out of his misery
I just shot a 120 lb sow in the ass running full blast away with my 6.8 110 BTHP Hornady and it fragged and blew two big ass holes in her somach and she dropped about 20 yards away
You don't get goods shots when they are hauling ass in the dark so yes bigger is better
View Quote
Dunno, every deer I’ve shot with .223 died pretty dead.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I checked Wal-Mart and the do not carry it. I'm not local to any fire arms stores. So ordering it from somewhere is my best bet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like sgammo has it in stock.  There is also a rebate with Federal right now CLICK
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Best deal I found was from here;

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/656_2081_10000601/products_id/85766/Federal%20F223MSR1%20Fusion%20MSR%2020RD%2062gr%20223%20Remington/
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Then go here for rebate:

https://promotions.vistaoutdoor.com/EN/US/Promo/66/67/EntryForm
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of .223/5.56 for deer or hogs, but if I were to use it, I would use the 64 grain stuff.
View Quote
Any particular reason why?  Time for you to join the 21st Century, bro.  It's not 1965 anymore.  Friend of mine took two bucks  in the last two years, 200 and 170 yards, 75 grain gold dot from an 18" barrel.

And, why not just buy 64 grain gold dot? Same bullet and powder as the Fusion 62 and much cheaper.  
Bone Frog Gun Club | Las Vegas, NV
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I've taken 2 deer with 75 grain Speer Gold Dots.

Both have taken about 5 steps and fallen over.

Prior to using AR15's for deer hunting I used a .270 WIN and it didn't kill deer nearly as quickly as the .223.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Really good advice

My favorite hunting rifle is a 12" 6.5g AR with Hornady Black
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Except OP has a .223, and his post is asking specifically about .223
View Quote
Thanks for policing the OPs thread on his behalf, but people can learn a lot when they get information they may not have been thinking of. Nothing wrong if the OP wants to stick with 223, but there's also nothing wrong with other people posting their experiences and recommendations. OP might get some value out of it, and that's for him to decide
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dunno, every deer I've shot with .223 died pretty dead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right

Dunno, every deer I've shot with .223 died pretty dead.
This. Kills deer dead. Listen, if you want to Fudd it up with a .30-30 or a .270, go for it. I sold my .270 that I used to hunt with because it was overkill. Where I hunt, 80-100 yards is a long shot, and my 300blk or .223 is more than enough. I've never had a deer go more than 25 yards before piling up. The .270 has much more recoil, is heavier, longer and less handy to carry through the woods. Not to mention that the baseball to softball sized exit wounds seemed a bit unnecessary. You do you, but don't tell people that successfully use the round to regularly take deer that it's inadequate.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This. Kills deer dead. Listen, if you want to Fudd it up with a .30-30 or a .270, go for it. I sold my .270 that I used to hunt with because it was overkill. Where I hunt, 80-100 yards is a long shot, and my 300blk or .223 is more than enough. I've never had a deer go more than 25 yards before piling up. The .270 has much more recoil, is heavier, longer and less handy to carry through the woods. Not to mention that the baseball to softball sized exit wounds seemed a bit unnecessary. You do you, but don't tell people that successfully use the round to regularly take deer that it's inadequate.
View Quote
This ^

I used to think the bigger the better starting with a 30-30, then moving to 30-06 and up to 300 win mag. I've shot around 16 deer in the past 15 years and I have never taken a shot past 150 yards. I still hunt with a 6 pound Kimber Montana 338 Federal with a 1-4 Leupold but I only use that when I'm ground/walk hunting because it's so light (and it's an absolute hammer on deer). I've come to the idea that less is more. I can shoot my 20" 556 and keep the crosshairs right on the target after firing and the 62gr FBIT3 round is about as good as it gets for hunting IMO, although I have killed four with a 90gr Gold Dot (6.8 spc) with similar performance . The key is knowing the limitations of your rifle and chosen round, if you are aware of that and can shoot half decent the 223/556 is more than capable.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top