Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2020 8:42:26 PM EDT
I have a 8" dedicated 22 upper (not a conversion kit) on a lower running a Redi-mag insert.
I have a std carbine buffer and spring in the tube. I get a lot of spring sound when shooting.
It seems I'd seen a plug of some type that would stop any travel of the 22 bolt assembly but can't find anything now.
Any leads / recommendations?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You shouldn’t need to use a buffer spring or buffer. But it you want to use a spring you can get a plastic insert from “Bore Buddy” to force the kit more forward.

https://borebuddy.com/product/22lr-plug/
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks so much, that is what I was thinking of.
I need to look at the bolt again, I think you are right that a buffer and spring aren't needed due to design of the 22 bolt as if I recall it can't move back into the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Taccom Pressure Plug AR-15 22 Long Rifle Conversion Reliability Enhancement
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I do not think Taccom is in this game anymore are they?
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I removed the buffer on my setup and just use the BoreBuddy pressure plug.  Since a spring is not required in these setups, I wonder if a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe by itself would work?  Perhaps a short piece of a carbine recoil spring to keep pressure against the CMMG bolt?
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Of course if you use the Bore Buddy or any other pressure plug. You will still need a spring behind the plug. That could be a simple spring from the hardware store that fits inside the tube. Of course you do not actually need the buffer anymore. Just a spring.

Looks like Taccom does still carry the pressure plug, but no other stuff for the AR22 anymore.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I removed the buffer on my setup and just use the BoreBuddy pressure plug.  Since a spring is not required in these setups, I wonder if a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe by itself would work?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I removed the buffer on my setup and just use the BoreBuddy pressure plug.  Since a spring is not required in these setups, I wonder if a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe by itself would work?

It would.  I've used as little as a dowel with a screw in the end for fine regulation of length.

Quoted:  Perhaps a short piece of a carbine recoil spring to keep pressure against the CMMG bolt?

I never even considered that, but it sounds like a good idea.  If your goal is to prevent the BCG frame from hitting the top of your lower, an incompressible rod of some kind is better than a spring
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I used a piece of thinwall tubing from an old umbrella that fits nicely in the buffer tube cut to keep the RTB plug where it needs to be to keep the bolt assembly from moving. Light weight, cheap, and works perfectly. A wood dowel would work as well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#9]
A 5/8" rod/dowel fits perfectly in the most recent (skeletonized) BoreBuddy pressure plug -- remove the buffer/spring, cut it to length and insert.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#10]
https://taccom3g.com/product/pressure-plug-ar-22/
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a standard spring and a rubber buffer spacer and no buffer catch. Just put the spacer against the bolt assembly. Have to fiddle with it to get it to close - but not much.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top