Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2021 2:23:49 AM EDT
I am a certified dumbass and bought Giessele's Rifle Length Super 42 Buffer Spring, when I'm building a carbine length gun. I thought the features this spring offered were pretty cool but I obviously wasn't paying close enough attention. Even more, they say that only their buffer will work with the spring (however, mine seems to fit perfectly fine).
Further being the dumbass I am, I'd rather not sell it off, so do you bros think it's possible to cut the spring to proper carbine length and heat up the end to fit appropriately?
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:34:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes. However, don't know what the purpose is of heating up the end
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:40:25 AM EDT
[#2]
My only thought there was because the ends of these springs are sort of 'squished' at the ends, I assume for some purpose. Though I don't know if heat could cause some harm.
But is cutting springs an entirely acceptable practice?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:54:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My only thought there was because the ends of these springs are sort of 'squished' at the ends, I assume for some purpose. Though I don't know if heat could cause some harm.
But is cutting springs an entirely acceptable practice?
View Quote

Sure, these aren't neonatal neurosurgical instruments
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:05:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am a certified dumbass and bought Giessele's Rifle Length Super 42 Buffer Spring, when I'm building a carbine length gun. I thought the features this spring offered were pretty cool but I obviously wasn't paying close enough attention. Even more, they say that only their buffer will work with the spring (however, mine seems to fit perfectly fine).
Further being the dumbass I am, I'd rather not sell it off, so do you bros think it's possible to cut the spring to proper carbine length and heat up the end to fit appropriately?
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

I wouldn’t.  You need to buy the proper spring for the application.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:53:04 AM EDT
[#5]
If you don't want to sell it, save it for another gun and buy the correct one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:30:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Primary issue is they don't have this in stock for the typical version
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Cutting the spring changes the rate of the action.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:01:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Heating a spring [to alter it somehow] basically ruins it. If you are trying to form a spring somehow using heat, you've gone way past the heat tempering level and into ''no more spring'' area.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Heating a spring [to alter it somehow] basically ruins it. If you are trying to form a spring somehow using heat, you've gone way past the heat tempering level and into ''no more spring'' area.
View Quote

Yeah, missed that point.

Heat will kill it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Either save it for a rifle build later down the road, trade bait, or sell it & use the CORRECT spring.

Your ideas to "modify" it are ...  "unwise" (at best)
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I would not cut a "stranded-wire spring," which is what that spring is.  I would expect the individual strands to fray apart.

I would not cut any spring, since cutting it changes the rate, the loads at the working heights, and the total elastic energy it contains within the working stroke.  I would buy the correct size spring.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:40:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Cutting it and “reheating the end” is a stupid idea. Send it back or sell it on the EE instead doing a bubba job on your rifle.
Shit, man. THIS is $5 right now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:16:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cutting it and “reheating the end” is a stupid idea. Send it back or sell it on the EE instead doing a bubba job on your rifle.
Shit, man. THIS is $5 right now.
View Quote

Good advice, and thanks for the heads up at Damage Industries, I like them - good quality folks
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#15]
the 'ends' of compression springs are 'squished' to spread out the compressed force on the spring face.. Remember, you are trying to dampen the BCG and the buffer.

The spring is 'tensioned' to give specific compression rate and pressure over certain time and distance.

One way to reduce tension / length is to take zip ties and capture a few wraps near the end of the stock, opposite the buffer end.  That will change things and be easy to reverse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top