Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/18/2018 9:28:46 PM EDT
I have a rifle that I love.. I've killed many hogs with it, shot a nice whitetail buck and I've used it in two high volume classes. Never had a problem with it.

However, it has always had a very loose safety, it comes off too easily. I have to fix it. At a class recently we were running the range hot and I had put the rifle on safe, it brushed my body and kicked off the safety, once, ok....but it happened several times. I have to fix it.

Does anyone make an over length/stronger spring? What drill bit is right to check the passage for flashing preventing full engagement?

I have several other safeties I can try but I dont believe that's the issue. Anything else I need to consider?
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Really only a few possible causes.

Weak spring-obviously try a new spring.  Maybe try an extractor spring.

Hole in pistol grip too deep.  Drop something in the hole to reduce it's depth.

Detent deformed.  Take it out and visually compare it to another one.

Safety selector machined incorrectly.  Take it out and visually compare it to another one.

Lower receiver channel drilled incorrectly.  This one is the least likely.  It is a stepped hole and if the larger bore isn't right it can prevent the detent from contacting the safety selector correctly.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Detents and springs are cheap. Swapped out both. Still easy off, detent was rising adequately into the lower.....

Tried two different stock selectors---mine is a Rock River star type....same same....

Took the old detent out to the belt grinder....ground about a third of it away, stuck it in the spring hole in the grip...Voila! Safety action vastly improved, maybe a little too hard to get off in fact....another pass on the belt grinder....cut her down to under half it's original length....Perfect!
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:56:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Detents and springs are cheap. Swapped out both. Still easy off, detent was rising adequately into the lower.....

Tried two different stock selectors---mine is a Rock River star type....same same....

Took the old detent out to the belt grinder....ground about a third of it away, stuck it in the spring hole in the grip...Voila! Safety action vastly improved, maybe a little too hard to get off in fact....another pass on the belt grinder....cut her down to under half it's original length....Perfect!
View Quote
Perfect, that’s the easiest solution to fit a spare detent/shim to take up the slack. Glad it worked out.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Perfect, that’s the easiest solution to fit a spare detent/shim to take up the slack. Glad it worked out.
View Quote
Well, I figured that I might as well use the piece I was going to replace for something rather than just throw it away. It wouldn't make sense to put it in another gun if it turned out to be the problem and it was the perfect size for the hole and could easily be cut down, since it was brass I knew it wouldn't rust and create problems....seemed like a good idea.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top