Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2018 11:33:00 AM EDT
Anyone here running one of these in a "hybrid" profile that can comment on their accuracy?

I have a 24 inch bull barrel upper I'm looking to turn into an 18 inch "spr" type rifle mainly because of the weight.

Just wondering if they can be accurate enough for varmint hunting, self defense and general use
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Interested in the responses as I just received a Criterion 12.5"  CL hybrid.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]
How many rounds through the 24" varmint barrel? You could have ADCO reprofile it to SPR dimensions if it's relatively new.

I am a proponent of White Oak Armament SPR barrels. They are worth a lot more than what they charge for them. They are incredibly accurate, 100% reliable and not too heavy.

I had WOA custom turn one of their 26"match barrels for me. .850" under the handguard, .810" forward of the gas block. It's still too heavy, but a hell of a lot better than standard.

WOA also sells a Predator series profile. I consider it the heaviest barrel that's still usable in the field.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 14.5 mid gas hybrid barrel from ADM who I believe gets their barrels from Criterion.

In the limited accuracy testing I have done it has performed very well.  The profile seems to have some good heft without being too heavy all over.

I am a little uncertain if it is overpassed but all of my other rifles are different weights/gas lengths so I don’t have anything to directly compare it to.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Criterion hybrid barrels performed very well in Science of the Gun's testing.

SOTG - Semi Lightweight Barrel testing
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:28:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Criterion hybrid barrels performed very well in Science of the Gun's testing.

SOTG - Semi Lightweight Barrel testing
View Quote
Interesting comparison
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one chambered in 6.5 Grendel purchased from Brownells.  Hunting season has gotten in the way of my load development.  Here is a typical 10 shot group with a generic sight in load of 8208 xbr and 120 gr SMK's.

" />

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Subscribed for more people’s input...

Right now I’m currently deciding which 6.5CM barrel I want:
JP Supermatch
Criterion Blank
Bartlein Blank

JP generally gets great reviews, but the oddball report about a JP lemon seems to surface a tad more frequently than bad reports of Criterions... and the Bartleins appear to have nothing but awesome reviews, then again they’re $$$ cut rifled, too. Plus getting a blank turned means I can customize my specs whereas the JP is a less configurable off the shelf product.

The JP is a good price, considering it comes headspaced WITH the bolt ($200 value). Having a Criterion blank turned is actually about $30 cheaper than the JP once you factor in the cost of a bolt. The Bartlein barrel plus bolt is a good $130 more than he JP and criterion and $160 more than the Criterion. Right now I’m leaning Criterion, and I’m trying to decide if the bartlein is worth the extra $150ish.

I waffling especially since WHATEVER I get I’m going to have Black Nitride coated @ H&M for a long-ass barrel life. I think it kind of hurts to drop Bartlein/Kreiger kind of money and then send it off to a Nitride shop first thing.

I wish the factory criterion hybrids (factory nitrided) would just come with a damn +2” XL gas length and I’d have bought that already. Then I wouldn’t be stuck having a blank custom turned or buying a preconfigured JP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top