Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2018 3:58:02 AM EDT
In the near future I am going to purchase a set of barrel vise jaw pads from SquirrelDaddy:

$18 free shipping

and am looking for some "rough on one side" cowhide to wrap the barrel.

I don't have anything like that around the house but I did see that Tandy Leather has a store in nearby Columbia and so the next time I'm in that area (as in 3 weeks) I'll pop in there and see what I can buy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 4:23:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I just use sections of old belts that I used to wear, that have broke or shrunk over the years(sure they have)
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 6:33:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have a hobby lobby type place nearby they sell a bag of leather scrap pieces, remnants pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Goodwill, old belt.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I cut fingers (primarily flippin' finger) from leather gloves (rough leather construction type), snip off finger tip, and slide over barrel. For the tube you could use rearward of fingers remaining section. For an even better grip, wet them (wring well) or for that matter a wet wash cloth works very well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Harbor Freight has leather welding gloves/aprons/bibs/sleeves cheap.  Lots of leather for projects.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 4:17:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I cut fingers (primarily flippin' finger) from leather gloves (rough leather construction type), snip off finger tip, and slide over barrel. For the tube you could use rearward of fingers remaining section. For an even better grip, wet them (wring well) or for that matter a wet wash cloth works very well.
View Quote
Genius!
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I have always wrapped the barrel in piece of rubber cut from an inner tube. I hadn't thought of leather.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have always wrapped the barrel in piece of rubber cut from an inner tube. I hadn't thought of leather.
View Quote
To be honest that was my first choice.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
this
and I've also used rubber hose several times and it worked fine
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Using aluminum jaws, I've never had success with inner tubes, garden hose, etc. I thought for sure a soft rubber would grip like an ape but just wasn't the case for me. I've considered roughening up the aluminum. But when I had slippage with rubber, it was the barrel itself rotating and not the rubber.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Home made wood block and rubber here.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Leather works really well.  Any scrap will do.  This was excess cut from a too long rifle sling.

Link Posted: 4/20/2018 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Using aluminum jaws, I've never had success with inner tubes, garden hose, etc. I thought for sure a soft rubber would grip like an ape but just wasn't the case for me. I've considered roughening up the aluminum. But when I had slippage with rubber, it was the barrel itself rotating and not the rubber.
View Quote
SquirrelDaddy recommends using leather with their aluminum barrel vise blocks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

SquirrelDaddy recommends using leather with their aluminum barrel vise blocks.
View Quote
That's what I use however once in a while I need to dampen the leather for extra grip.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I also recommend old leather belts.  If you don't have a worn out one, find one at a Goodwill store.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#18]
That all sounds like a lot of extra work. I use a BEV block for barrel work and lower work. No need to clamp anything else.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That all sounds like a lot of extra work. I use a BEV block for barrel work and lower work. No need to clamp anything else.
View Quote
A scrap of leather around the barrel is a lot of work?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, because every time I've ever tried to clamp anything around the barrel it always slips
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#21]
The Tandy store should have some scraps of "rough one side" leather for not much.  I think rough leather holds well, but I know it will hold rosin better than old leather.  And there's always a use here or there for a bit of leather as a bumper or something similar, so you won't be wasting your time getting some scraps, even if you don't like how it works for a barrel.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top