Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/14/2023 11:04:44 PM EDT
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_9mm_SMG

Does anyone know the correct height FSB for a colt 635?
I'm building a clone with an A1 style upper,  and want to have the correct FSB height. I have both F height and A2 height FSBs I can use but don't want to go to the trouble of pining it if it's the wrong height,  and I really hate the sight picture of a front sight that is screwed in deeper or higher than it should be.  My instinct says F height because it's a carbine,  but it's also 9mm so I don't know if A2 would be better.  Also, I think these were designed for a 50m zero. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Carry handle uppers get standard non F marked FSB.
Flat tops get the F marked FSB.
Someone else will chime in to confirm or you can do some research.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I ordered an A2 FSB from JSE surplus. You're probably right,  that is an A2 height.  I did finally find one other thread that said the same thing.  And with 9mm especially,  a taller front sight is just going to lower the point of impact without burying that post into the FSB.   I know it's probably crazy but I can tell that the F height FSB looks too tall.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you using a heavy barrel with the .750" sight base journal?  I'm asking because I believe all 635s had light weight barrels with .625" journals.  The A2 sight will not fit a light barrel.  Also, if using a fixed carry handle (or detachable), you'll need THIS rear aperture.  One side is for a 50 meter setting.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the link!

Yes it's a .750 journal.  JSE had an A2 height FSB with .750 journal. Basically what they use on service rifle barrels. I had one but it had the bottom sling mount area ground off and no bayo lug.

It's not a good clone, just an approximation using the parts I had.  Having the correct rear sight should make it that much more useful.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 7:13:43 AM EDT
[#5]
For posterity,  I pinned the A2 FSB yesterday and zeroed it(at 20yds for now). It zeroed nicely without having to bury the front sight into the base.  This turned out to be a good zero as I was able to easily hit a steel silhouette out to 100yds without holding over.  Strelok shows a 5in drop for 9mm at that distance from my zero.  

So an A2 height FSB is in fact the right answer for an 11" 9mm.  Glad I didn't use the F height FSB.
Thanks everyone.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top