Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/20/2020 4:00:21 PM EDT
Hello everyone! Me and my father built an XM16E1 clone a while back from an M16A1 parts kit. We did the lower modifications ourselves(eliminating the shelf among other things) but it's had a phosphate bolt since we built it. It's the Colt BCG from the parts kit but it's still not correct from what I've read.

I read it should be a chrome BC with either a chrome or phosphate bolt. I am working out a trade with someone for a chrome BC, here are some pics https://m.imgur.com/a/1nLnCSY

Would that BCG be correct for an XM16E1 clone?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello everyone! Me and my father built an XM16E1 clone a while back from an M16A1 parts kit. We did the lower modifications ourselves(eliminating the shelf among other things) but it's had a phosphate bolt since we built it. It's the Colt BCG from the parts kit but it's still not correct from what I've read.

I read it should be a chrome BC with either a chrome or phosphate bolt. I am working out a trade with someone for a chrome BC, here are some pics https://m.imgur.com/a/1nLnCSY

Thanks!!
View Quote

Depends on if your clone is an early or late XM.  The early ones had chrome bolts and carriers, while the later/transitional ones had phosphate the later XM’s had a mix of early and later parts.  

So what you have would be correct for a later/transitional XM
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 17Liberty76:

Depends on if your clone is an early or late XM.  The early ones had chrome bolts and carriers, while the later/transitional ones had phosphate the later XM’s had a mix of early and later parts.  

So what you have would be correct for a later/transitional XM
View Quote

What other features would be different between early and transitional? Here are some pics of mine currently, http://imgur.com/a/hCw6tBp

Also, my current BCG is marked "C" for Colt I presume, it's normal for the chrome one not to be?

And lastly, how much cash on my end would be fair for the one pictured?

Thank you!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Transitional guns would have had a mix match of bcg parts and that’s mainly it. Some probably had bird cage hiders, while others had three prongs. It is hard to tell what colt was doing in the ‘65-‘67 timeframe. The weapon was standardized in ‘67 and the serials for XM16E1s and M16A1s overlap.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The early ones would have square forged uppers while the later ones would be round forged. (You have round forged) the difference between yours and an actual XM upper is there are no forge codes on the XM uppers (yours is a CH forge code which puts it in the 1970’s a1 I believe) and the front pivot lugs were rebated and painted black (these are getting harder and harder to find).  The “C” on the carrier stands for Colt.  So the fact that it’s not Chrome is correct for that upper as far as value goes I suspect somewhere in the $1200 range I could be off on that though
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is a link that’s an excellent resource that I used when doing my XM reweld

http://pullig.dyndns.org/retroblackrifle/ModGde/RflGde/603E1.html
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#6]
The early ones would have square forged uppers while the later ones would be round forged. (You have round forged) the difference between yours and an actual XM upper is there are no forge codes on the XM uppers (yours is a CH forge code which puts it in the 1970’s a1 I believe) and the front pivot lugs were rebated and painted black (these are getting harder and harder to find).  The “C” on the carrier stands for Colt.  So the fact that it’s not Chrome is correct for that upper as far as value goes I suspect somewhere in the $1200 range I could be off on that though
View Quote

This is also correct. Early parkerized XM carriers did not have the C, however.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#7]
The early ones would have square forged uppers while the later ones would be round forged. (You have round forged) the difference between yours and an actual XM upper is there are no forge codes on the XM uppers (yours is a CH forge code which puts it in the 1970’s a1 I believe) and the front pivot lugs were rebated and painted black (these are getting harder and harder to find).  The “C” on the carrier stands for Colt.  So the fact that it’s not Chrome is correct for that upper as far as value goes I suspect somewhere in the $1200 range I could be off on that though
View Quote

So if I understand it right, there were XM16E1s with completely phosphate BCGs so mine is actually more correct with the phosphate bolt than it would be with the Chrome carrier?

And to be completely correct, I should find an upper with no forge codes and get the correct pins.

So in conclusion, I wouldn't be better off trading my C marked phosphate BCG for a chrome carrier BCG?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By johnbhm:

So if I understand it right, there were XM16E1s with completely phosphate BCGs so mine is actually more correct with the phosphate bolt than it would be with the Chrome carrier? 

And to be completely correct, I should find an upper with no forge codes and get the correct pins.

So in conclusion, I wouldn't be better off trading my C marked phosphate BCG for a chrome carrier BCG?
View Quote

Correct. As for the takedown pins, it just depends on what era you’re trying to replicate. Only the very earliest XMs had dimpled pins as far as I have seen.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By johnbhm:

So if I understand it right, there were XM16E1s with completely phosphate BCGs so mine is actually more correct with the phosphate bolt than it would be with the Chrome carrier? 

And to be completely correct, I should find an upper with no forge codes and get the correct pins.

So in conclusion, I wouldn't be better off trading my C marked phosphate BCG for a chrome carrier BCG?
View Quote

Correct
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks!!
View Quote

That carrier DOES NOT look like it is chrome.  The seller has listed it on gun broker for quite a while as a “chrome carrier”, however, it looks more like a phosphate carrier that  has had its finished worn/buffed off.  One of the “tells” is that the two screws that hold the gas key onto the bolt should be black, even on a chrome carrier.  As you can see in the photos, they are the same color as the carrier.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I took apart several 603s in this thread to give you an idea. Couple that data with this thread, this thread, and this thread and you should be golden.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top