BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#1]
That was definitely not properly installed I still don't see how it would work with the screw holes they don't line up but I'll check it out again when I get a chance later
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m with DaveP1 & CRracer_712 on this,

First, it sure APPEARS from one of your photos that the router jumped several times.

Go SLOW!
Circular CLOCKWISE cuts
Try half depth cuts
Vacuum chips out that remain before starting the next cut.
EVERYTIME you adjust the depth, spray lube in the pocket and on the mill bit. EVERYTIME!
Firmly hold the BASE when making cuts.
Make sure that when you start the router it’s not touching anything and again you are FIRMLY holding the base down
Let the router COMPLETELY come to a stop before removing it

And then to what I’m thinking is the main issue, do you have the side block properly installed? With it properly installed on a Makita Router you SHOULD have THREE screws installed. Check out the diagram below....

https://i.imgur.com/kcz8AX9.jpg

@wyomingnick
View Quote
Is that diagram exact specs for makita? Because it isn't squared on the top edges like thar, but round. That is why the screws won't line up
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes it is that one. I'll be checking it out again in a few hours.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Must be a generic photo as the bottom doesnt look like that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:57:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is some pics, I think its installed better.

It looks like the plastic base must come off the instructions aren't clear on that but the screws will absolutely not fit ( too short ) if I don't

So I am guessing that it how it is supposed to be

Yes I know the screw isn't totally centered, I fixed that. Its just practice anyway right now as the ready mill is broken.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:00:40 AM EDT
[#8]
That side block, is that just to add more stability ?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:21:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Don’t buy another complete ReadyMill, buy the replacement mill only and change it out. Reuse the base you have. It’s very easily done with a propane torch and some pliers. I had to change mine after 6 lowers.

Hold the base, light cuts, clockwise motion, router on highest speed, lots of coolant, depth adjustment locked tight. Don’t get too discouraged!
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Just FYI, yes, that plastic base doesn't get used. Looks pretty good now.

I'm looking at your router base and it has more wear lines in it than mine does, after I've done a half dozen lowers. Keep it and jig top clean. I'd finish out existing lower getting the hang of it.

If you are planning to drill hammer and trigger pin holes with hand drill, I'd leave the assembly oriented in vise just as it is in your photo. As opposed to drilling those small holes vertically oriented. Of course a drill press would be best, and it would be drilled vertically then.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just FYI, yes, that plastic base doesn't get used. Looks pretty good now.

I'm looking at your router base and it has more wear lines in it than mine does, after I've done a half dozen lowers. Keep it and jig top clean. I'd finish out existing lower getting the hang of it.

If you are planning to drill hammer and trigger pin holes with hand drill, I'd leave the assembly oriented in vise just as it is in your photo. As opposed to drilling those small holes vertically oriented. Of course a drill press would be best, and it would be drilled vertically then.
View Quote
I'm kind of concerned to finish that lower I'm afraid did it may damage the bit and destroy another one if I try to put it in.

I don't have a drill press so I'll just be using a regular drill.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm kind of concerned to finish that lower I'm afraid did it may damage the bit and destroy another one if I try to put it in.

I don't have a drill press so I'll just be using a regular drill.
View Quote
If you do your part, operate router from the base plate, no tipping, no insertion or removal while bit is spinning, rotating clockwise, just enough pressure to move it(almost like letting it glide around), that lower will no more mess up your new end mill than a brand new lower would.

Personally, I'd rather make sure I could finish that lower without breaking something else, before marring up another lower.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you do your part, operate router from the base plate, no tipping, no insertion or removal while bit is spinning, counter clockwise, just enough pressure to move it(almost like letting it glide around), that lower will no more mess up your new end mill than a brand new lower would.

Personally, I'd rather make sure I could finish that lower without breaking something else, before marring up another lower.
View Quote
Counter clockwise?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you do your part, operate router from the base plate, no tipping, no insertion or removal while bit is spinning, counter clockwise, just enough pressure to move it(almost like letting it glide around), that lower will no more mess up your new end mill than a brand new lower would.

View Quote
It may be
I ordered a new End Mill we'll see maybe I'll just try to finish that one where should I start it at what level being its kind of uneven I'm guessing the least possible graduation that will cut anything and go from there
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Find the high spot in the pocket using endmill assembled in router, gliding around but not powered on. Lock your base there, then move over to depth cut gauge and go about 1/3rd recommended depth. Keep doing the 1/3rd steps until you have a nice smooth bottom to pocket, then maybe go to 1/2 of recommended cutting depth. Let the end mill do the work, you just assist it.

Name your end mill Bob, so when you're done you can say 'bob and I' just did our first 80% lower.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, Polyner80 has cheap - like down to $12 - 80% plastic lowers you can practice your technique on w/o tearing up aluminum lowers.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP, Polyner80 has cheap - like down to $12 - 80% plastic lowers you can practice your technique on w/o tearing up aluminum lowers.
View Quote
Can you tell me where you're seeing those?  All I can find on their site is the $60 80% lowers.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can you tell me where you're seeing those?  All I can find on their site is the $60 80% lowers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  OP, Polyner80 has cheap - like down to $12 - 80% plastic lowers you can practice your technique on w/o tearing up aluminum lowers.
Sorry, my mistake.  Posted wrong manufacturer.  EP Armory:

https://www.eparmory.com/E-P-ARMORY-UNFINISHEDUNDRILLED-80-LOWERS--GRAY-EP80_p_756.html

$15 for a blem, think if you buy the right multi-pack it gets down to $12 or so.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Direct cut and paste from 5D Tactical‘s web site instructions (highlighting is mine)

If you’re using a variable speed router, set to the highest speed setting. Don’t insert or remove the end mill while the router is spinning. Prior to turning the router on, ensure that the end mill is centered within the milling pilot hole and not contacting any part of the receiver. While milling, you’ll want to move the router smoothly and in a clockwise manner as shown in the 80% lower jig instructions. Keep the router adapter flat against the router guide plate at all times. You’ll also want to avoid exerting excessive pressure or abruptly pulling the router.
View Quote
Good catch, I have no idea why I put 'counter' in there!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dyslexia!

Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:23:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Dyslexia!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dyslexia!

I was reading his reply, wondering why he quoted me with a snippet from 5D, then scrolled up and saw someone else caught it. Was thinking wtf?? I think someone's messing with me!

At least when I had my son start on his lower, I got the 'clockwise' right when instructing him. I gave intruction/reminds for his first two passes, when ready for the third pass I said 'you good?' he says 'yeah'. So I left to do some paperwork and told him if he breaks my bit, he buys me a new one. He didn't break my bit
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sorry, my mistake.  Posted wrong manufacturer.  EP Armory:

https://www.eparmory.com/E-P-ARMORY-UNFINISHEDUNDRILLED-80-LOWERS--GRAY-EP80_p_756.html

$15 for a blem, think if you buy the right multi-pack it gets down to $12 or so.
View Quote
Those are a tad less than 80% according to the description. I don’t think OP is ready to be drilling roll pin and detent holes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#25]
2nd attempt.
Overall turned out good. The milling went well, went real slow and careful.
The only flaw I can see is the safety does not line up completely straight when on fire. It is slightly offset.
I am not sure if I drilled it slightly off, or the receiver is slightly out of spec. Or I guess, though unlikely the safety could be defective.
But it seems functional. Haven't test fired it yet.

Also should the inside milled out area, be coated with something ? I just assembled it as is, and didn't do anything to cover the bare aluminum. I don't care much about looks, but wondered if it would protect and preserve better with something like aluminum black or even paint.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#26]
The drawings located the selector detent hole location off of the selector hole location. The selector hole has tolerances it can be at so it could be front to back at different locations and be in spec.  If the detent location hole is installed before the selector hole then you can get a crooked line up but the only thing out of spec is the order of installation caused a misalignment.

The pics make that look more than just a little off though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Did you drill your selector from the right side to left, all the way through? Looks a little off. If drilling by hand, I'd suggest drilling each side independent. Otherwise use a drill press. It also appears you didn't go full depth in the trigger hole, I see a flat spot towards the rear. It tapers at the rear, requiring a deeper cut to finish out trigger hole. But you're getting there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:32:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Did you drill your selector from the right side to left, all the way through? Looks a little off. If drilling by hand, I'd suggest drilling each side independent. Otherwise use a drill press. It also appears you didn't go full depth in the trigger hole, I see a flat spot towards the rear. It tapers at the rear, requiring a deeper cut to finish out trigger hole. But you're getting there.
View Quote
Yes I drilled it right to left. Next time I'll do each side. That is what I did for the two smaller holes.

I don't have a drill press.

What exactly do you mean by flat spot for trigger hole? Are you seeing that in the last pic?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:45:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Flat on the buffer end of trigger hole, Should pretty much match the front end.

One thing I picked up that can make a big difference in finishing 80% lowers is a needle file set, then the, little things can be smoothed out by hand in a few minute.  Also, drill each side, never drill all the way through the receiver, to much room for error if you are hand holding or using a drill press you will run into bit deflection.

That said, it looks good and you should be able to assemble and shoot it..  Great going.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 4:00:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The drawings located the selector detent hole location off of the selector hole location. The selector hole has tolerances it can be at so it could be front to back at different locations and be in spec.  If the detent location hole is installed before the selector hole then you can get a crooked line up but the only thing out of spec is the order of installation caused a misalignment.

The pics make that look more than just a little off though.
View Quote
I think I understand what you're saying but I'm still a little bit confused are you saying that if it is off it would be because the detent hole is slightly off? So if it is off it wouldn't have been anything I have done just trying to clarify as obviously on an 80% we don't drill the detent hole. It was a ceratac lower.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 4:01:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Flat on the buffer end of trigger hole, Should pretty much match the front end.

One thing I picked up that can make a big difference in finishing 80% lowers is a needle file set, then the, little things can be smoothed out by hand in a few minute.  Also, drill each side, never drill all the way through the receiver, to much room for error if you are hand holding or using a drill press you will run into bit deflection.

That said, it looks good and you should be able to assemble and shoot it..  Great going.
View Quote
It is assembled I'll shoot it first chance I get might not be till next week.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I think I understand what you're saying but I'm still a little bit confused are you saying that if it is off it would be because the detent hole is slightly off? So if it is off it wouldn't have been anything I have done just trying to clarify as obviously on an 80% we don't drill the detent hole. It was a ceratac lower.
View Quote
If it is indeed off it’s probably because you drilled straight through from one side and your bit walked. Drill each side separately next time.

Eta: never mind. Already been covered.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#33]
The hand drill used can make a HUGE difference. I initially started out using and old black & decker electric drill. It didn't give the smoothest operational feeling, and it's highest speed just wasn't cutting it.

I switch to my snap on cordless, it's as smooth rotating as a jet engine, runs at ~1800 rpm(fast may be better yet, but this beat the pants off that ~1100 rpm b&d).

Here is one I drilled all the way through from right to left(if you drill all the way through, like the instructions initially tell you, going right to left will give you your cleanest results). Reason being, when your bit pokes out the other side, it'll have a bit of a 'lip' and the selector shoulder will cover it on the left side.

As you can see, the selector snapped right to the safety stop.

Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I only have two drills, a $50 walmart drill that doesn't seem to have the juice to do it and an electric hammer drill. That is what I used. Do you think its too much ?

I'll definitely go from both sides next time.

I might finish out the lower I started with that is kinda messy just to practice the drilling part on that one, see if I can get that in better order before I make another attempt at a nice one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#35]
How fast does your hammer drill spin? Even though you have a nice long guide for drilling holes, just concentrate on drilling straight. And I'd use your first for practice, I think you can save it just fine.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How fast does your hammer drill spin? Even though you have a nice long guide for drilling holes, just concentrate on drilling straight. And I'd use your first for practice, I think you can save it just fine.
View Quote
Not sure, I'll see if it says. It still takes a bit to get through the aluminum so I don't think its too much drill, but I wondered.
I'll definitely go both sides next time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Curious if folks are undersize drilling the hammer/pin/selector holes and reaming for a better fit or just using a finished size bit?

I've only used a Tactical Machining milling jig and it had a hardened guide bushings for drilling the holes only on one side. Looks like the 5D has them on both sides of the jig to allow drilling from each side without wearing the guide holes in the jig.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Curious if folks are undersize drilling the hammer/pin/selector holes and reaming for a better fit or just using a finished size bit?

I've only used a Tactical Machining milling jig and it had a hardened guide bushings for drilling the holes only on one side. Looks like the 5D has them on both sides of the jig to allow drilling from each side without wearing the guide holes in the jig.
View Quote
Finished size bit only. 5D Pro. Drill from each side. Works great.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I normally drill them to final size, but I don't drill after I am done hogging the lower out, I drill both sides with the jig on the lower before I mill the pocket, I drill about 1/4 in and then turn over and drill the same on the other side, then mill the pocket, it gives me a depth gauge when I reach the holes and it gives a good clean on target selector hole.  Every once in a while I will have to touch up the selector hole with a round needle file to fit the particular selector, but not often.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes I bought some precision stainless tubing that has a fairly thin wall and a drill bit to fit the inside. I put pieces of the tubing in the jig drill bushings and drill the smaller hole. Then I take the sleeves out and run the correct size reamer through to finish them out. It makes for some really nice holes on the hammer and trigger.

I bought the tubing here https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-metal-tubing under the precision stainless tubing. I used the one with the .156" outside and  .146" inside and I think a 3.7 mm bit to fit in it.
What really bothered me was even with a jig with drill bushings on both sides I never could get holes that measured exactly the same from the top of the lower on both sides. All worked fine but were never exactly the same. I wound up cutting a cheap jig up and making a small trigger hammer drill block to drop into the inside pocket of the lower. I put a plate on top that lipped over the thickness of the top of the lower wall to seat it. After using a rod dropped through the first side to 90 degree a the block I clamp it in place sleeve, drill, remove the sleeve and ream that side. Got holes to match now but it is a pain in the butt time wise.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 3:33:10 AM EDT
[#42]
It shoots fine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 4:25:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It shoots fine.
View Quote
Glad to hear it, congrats, you now are a gun builder!

Link Posted: 1/30/2019 11:28:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Glad to hear it, congrats, you now are a gun builder!

View Quote
Yup, going to build another one asap maybe start tonight.
Hopefully safety will be straight next time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top