Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2021 11:07:17 AM EDT
Hey everyone... I am fairly new to AR's....  I built one that is chambered for 7.62x39 and after a few tweaks it runs beautifully.

I do have a question though as I am wondering if I did something wrong during the build.

What I have noticed is that I cannot have the safety engaged in condition 3.... There has to be a round in the chamber... or more accurately, the hammer has to be back.  This means that to chamber a round I go strait from C3 to C0.

This seems wrong to me... I feel like I should be able to have the safety on and chamber a round, thus still having a layer of safety to go through.

Is this normal/typical for AR's ?  Does yours do the same?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Hammer needs to be cocked to engage the safety.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#2]
That is the correct operation.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#3]
hammer cocked and safety engaged before you insert mag and charge a round
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#4]
No reason to store/carry with the hammer down.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What I have noticed is that I cannot have the safety engaged in condition 3.... There has to be a round in the chamber... or more accurately, the hammer has to be back.  This means that to chamber a round I go strait from C3 to C0.
View Quote

Lock bolt open
Engage safety
Lock mag
Release bolt

Safety was engaged before a round is chambered.
Safety is still engaged w/ a, now, loaded round.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No reason to store/carry with the hammer down.
View Quote

Ok, so if I want to have a mag in but no round in the chamber, make sure the hammer is back and put the safety on... then I can chamber a round and the safety will remain on... .I have this correct?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok, so if I want to have a mag in but no round in the chamber, make sure the hammer is back and put the safety on... then I can chamber a round and the safety will remain on... .I have this correct?
View Quote

Correct
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Lock bolt open
Engage safety
Lock mag
Release bolt

Safety was engaged before a round is chambered.
Safety is still engaged w/ a, now, loaded round.
View Quote

This,  There is no "de-cocking" an AR and then cocking when ready to fire....with round in chamber.  Will have to use the charging handle to cock the hammer that will result on round in chamber to be ejected  

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top