User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/31/2018 3:12:43 PM EDT
Despite the pages upon pages of URG-1 clones
and talk of issued 1x6 and 1x8 scopes. Majority of those deployed have yet to see anything new.
So like always they are not waiting on SOCOM to catch up.

Part 4 of my series ..What SF are using down range...enjoy!
Defense Review Crossover part 4
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Really making me wanna do a 45 degree red dot, dangit.

Thanks for the article and the insight
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Really making me wanna do a 45 degree red dot, dangit.

Thanks for the article and the insight
View Quote
Do it .....single optic combat rifles are a thing of the past!
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
That's really interesting that Strike Eagles and PA optics are seeing combat as personal-purchase items.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's really interesting that Strike Eagles and PA optics are seeing combat as personal-purchase items.
View Quote
First time I saw a Burris scope down range was 2012. Would they all
take Vortex Razors and Trjicons sure. But alas even SF guys only get paid so much!
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty great that the Viper PST Gen II is getting some combat love. Are they using M855A1?
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pretty great that the Viper PST Gen II is getting some combat love. Are they using M855A1?
View Quote
Still mostly MK262 down range
Speaking with members they are able to get good hits out to 600 meters.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I predict a spike in sales for those two models...
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I predict a spike in sales for those two models...
View Quote
Lol...true

Would love to see durability testing. My bet is burris mtac wins over vortex and pa
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
People bring all kinds of stupid shit down range.  A friend of mine put a Wal-Mart 3-9X40 on an M4 in Iraq.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I think Vortex far cry from Walmart scopes
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not really.   And it was 'In ThEaTeRe'.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for sharing I really like the dope cards!

I was just making fun of my boyfriend the other day for putting a red dot on an offset.  I guess he is hip and stuff.  That said I am surprised that they are using offset sights with variable scopes rather than acogs with a red dot on top.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I was just making fun of my boyfriend the other day for putting a red dot on an offset.  I guess he is hip and stuff.  That said I am surprised that they are using offset sights with variable scopes rather than acogs with a red dot on top.
View Quote
Me too, its less efficient
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#16]
@Stukas87

I have a couple of questions about your article if you don't mind.

1. What reticle are the guys using the Viper 1-6 running? I'm assuming Mil?
2. What ammo are the dope cards calibrated for? MK262?

I had a few more that will hopefully come back to me. Thank for your time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@Stukas87

I have a couple of questions about your article if you don't mind.

1. What reticle are the guys using the Viper 1-6 running? I'm assuming Mil?
2. What ammo are the dope cards calibrated for? MK262?

I had a few more that will hopefully come back to me. Thank for your time.
View Quote
Yep the MIL/MRAD

and two guys have Strike Eagles a 1x6, 1x8 they have true holds for MK262
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Stukas87, great job on the articles.  Can you say which PA scopes you have seen in use.

@Samuse; gear that works may not be a POS even though it isn't made by Gucci.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not really.   And it was 'In ThEaTeRe'.
View Quote
While it's true that you see a lot of stupid shit mounted on weapons while deployed - that's not what he's writing about .....much work can be done with "second rate" equipment if you're already high speed lol......as far as Vortex PST being Walmart level......just no.  I used a MK4 1.5-5 on an M-14 in 2006-7 and it's no surprise that these type of optics are taking over.  Was very thankful that my CO allowed some latitude in personal optics.

eta: @Stukas87  very well written sir - thanks!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lol...true

Would love to see durability testing. My bet is burris mtac wins over vortex and pa
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Amen to that and endorsed by warriors using the budget gear. Great news for us in the working stiff peasant class.
Great articles.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#22]
This is a great article and insight. And I bet some heads are going to spin after reading this.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol...true

I say this as someone who owns/owned all 3 and each year pick one rifle to abuse like a redheaded step child.  No 1-4x that I beat up was as tough as the mtac.  Now I didn't try all the 1-4s out there but my pa crapped out completely after I threw it over a blind with my rifle and the votex pst developed an occular bubble after falling off a quad on a deer trail.  My mtac has been driven over by that same quad and abused and keeps on going.  Lenses were scratched up and it looked like $hit but it worked and the glass was relatively clear with no internal issues to the 1 through 4 magnification.  My sample is small but even on snipershide and m4carbine the mtac get's glowing durability reviews.

For the record, I no longer have any mtacs on any rigs and have that were lying around I'm going to sell as I've upgraded to trijicons
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#24]
As I mention given the choice and money sure
these guys would purchase more high end stuff.

Would I take my Vortex Strike Eagle to combat? For me no.
But no denying the Strike Eagle line is holding up well.

I would however take a Vortex PST all day long if offered.
Its a solid scope in my opinion.

My next scope purchase will be Vortex PST GEN II 3x15
for my .308 gas gun for PRS
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:02:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think even Walmart scopes would be a step up from the top of the line precision scopes of 30 years ago. We are extremely lucky to have very good quality, robust optics for very reasonable prices these days.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 3:06:15 AM EDT
[#26]
@Stukas87
Great articles! Much appreciated! I love this kind of stuff and info. “Non standard” gear in use by the guys down range has always been of interest to me.
Which brands/models of MRDS are being used on the rifles? I’m assuming a lot of Trijicons but other makes and models would be interesting.

I foresee strike eagles drying up on the EE...
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@Stukas87
Great articles! Much appreciated! I love this kind of stuff and info. “Non standard” gear in use by the guys down range has always been of interest to me.
Which brands/models of MRDS are being used on the rifles? I’m assuming a lot of Trijicons but other makes and models would be interesting.

I foresee strike eagles drying up on the EE...
View Quote
The standard issue MRDS is the EOTech MRDS
I know its been announced Trijicon RMR has been selected
but alas like URG-1 SF dudes have yet to see them.
There are still some Doctor sights floating around.

The Aimpoint T1 from the article personally owned.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is it a surprise that they are using variables with offset red dots vs ACOGs with piggybacks?

A 1-6 or 1-8 with offset RDS is a lot more flexible than a fixed 4x and red dot.

Also, I don't agree that the offset red dot option is less efficient.  I had an ACOG with offset T1 back in 2008.  It was pretty slick.  Bring it up straight and you get the ACOG.  Bring it up slightly canted and you get the red dot.  To shift on the fly you just rotate the rifle a bit.  Cheek weld was consistent between sights.  Height over bore was lower than a piggybacked RDS so there wasn't as much mechanical offset to account for.

Had the variable scope game been what it is today I'd have used one over the ACOG.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#29]
@Stukas87

Good old American ingenuity with the side mount back up

What hardware you all using to mount the back up optic?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@Stukas87

Good old American ingenuity with the side mount back up

What hardware you all using to mount the back up optic?

Thanks!!
View Quote
Well I use a Matt Burkett Predator off set which is not sold anymore
Talking with these guys some of their mounts were custom made by
unit shops.

Down range SF has access to guys (contractors) sole purpose is to supply custom gear
They are actually pretty awesome they can do:
Tactical Nylon webbing
Anything Kydex
metal fabrication for custom gun mounts and ammo racks
and it seems scope mounts
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Well I use a Matt Burkett Predator off set which is not sold anymore
Talking with these guys some of their mounts were custom made by
unit shops.

Down range SF has access to guys (contractors) sole purpose is to supply custom gear
They are actually pretty awesome they can do:
Tactical Nylon webbing
Anything Kydex
metal fabrication for custom gun mounts and ammo racks
and it seems scope mounts
View Quote
Good to know sir!! I got a local fabricator who I will tap for custom creating the mount.

Impressed with the innovation and thanks for knowledge sharing with the American rifleman!!

It is much appreciated sir!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why is it a surprise that they are using variables with offset red dots vs ACOGs with piggybacks?

A 1-6 or 1-8 with offset RDS is a lot more flexible than a fixed 4x and red dot.

Also, I don't agree that the offset red dot option is less efficient.  I had an ACOG with offset T1 back in 2008.  It was pretty slick.  Bring it up straight and you get the ACOG.  Bring it up slightly canted and you get the red dot.  To shift on the fly you just rotate the rifle a bit.  Cheek weld was consistent between sights.  Height over bore was lower than a piggybacked RDS so there wasn't as much mechanical offset to account for.

Had the variable scope game been what it is today I'd have used one over the ACOG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

shifting of firearm and reallocation of target acquisition under duress is less efficient.  I'm surprised they are not mounting them up top which would keep poi shift at a minimum which is the norm and still widely in use
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Good read I have been wanting to replace my 1-4 PST with a 1-6 but the cost and since my 1-4 still works I have not made the jump.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

shifting of firearm and reallocation of target acquisition under duress is less efficient.  I'm surprised they are not mounting them up top which would keep poi shift at a minimum which is the norm and still widely in use
View Quote
Not correct, if it were so, guys would not be opting for off set mounts,
Piggy backed ACOGs have been around in the MIL since 2005ish
All Elcans come with a MRDS on top many guys don't even mount one up there.

The issue with top mounted is, height above bore
with a Elcan and top mount red dot, that's 4 1/2 inches which is too much hold off.
Plus you have to lift your head up, losing cheek to stock
Can make acquiring the dot not that fast. Especially compared to just rolling gun over.

Same reasons the 45 off set dot so popular in 3gun...
faster and more stable.

Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#35]
sorry double post
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Great read, thank you.  I don't feel bad about handing down my strike eagle to my GF while I go out and snag myself a NF NX-8
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Great read, thank you.  I don't feel bad about handing down my strike eagle to my GF while I go out and snag myself a NF NX-8
View Quote
If there is one thing I wanted from this article
help shooters stay tight with their GFs!
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#38]
One thing I've found is that most of the 45deg mounts out there don't center the mini dot over the barrel (Trijicon being the exception) - do you guys find that it hinders your shooting in any way (weird hold overs/unders etc..)??
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#39]
This was a very interesting evolution to read (went back & read them in order & stuck links in my Def Review folder).

I think it's telling and important that you contrast the difference between how you are able to fight... e.g.,
'I've got a cool & capable shorty but I'll see your PKM and raise you some frickin' indirect or CAS... how ya like that?"

versus the fairly standard carbine-size clone you put together for yourself post-retirement.

Case & roles for both approaches were really laid out & the evolution was neat; in total, a really fine piece of work.
Thanks and big Congrats on the retirement.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This was a very interesting evolution to read (went back & read them in order & stuck links in my Def Review folder).

I think it's telling and important that you contrast the difference between how you are able to fight... e.g.,
'I've got a cool & capable shorty but I'll see your PKM and raise you some frickin' indirect or CAS... how ya like that?"

versus the fairly standard carbine-size clone you put together for yourself post-retirement.

Case & roles for both approaches were really laid out & the evolution was neat; in total, a really fine piece of work.
Thanks and big Congrats on the retirement.
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Great articles and thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Great articles and thank you for your service.
View Quote
Thank You

I am currently working on a article for SWAT Magazine online
will feature more pictures of the guns from downrange
Subject will be... single optic carbines specifically red dots are a thing of the past!
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the article!  Nice to see these optics out in the wild really being put through their paces.  It would be interesting to see how they hold up over the course of their deployments.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#44]
The team is currently nearing the end of 7 month deployment in A-Stan,
when I got the pics and feedback. So appears optics have lasted at least one deployment with no issues.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I really enjoyed the article and will make a point to read parts 1-3 next.  Thanks for your service - please log out and back in.

@Stukas87
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#47]
You know how most of these guys  are saying this was a great and informative article?  Those guys are right.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Thank you for the info. Due to the pic of your most recent clone, I looked up protective RDS mounts as I had never thought of them before.

Found these:
https://amsmachine.net/product-list/mrd-mounts/
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really enjoyed the article and will make a point to read parts 1-3 next.  Thanks for your service - please log out and back in.

@Stukas87
Second - very cool man...Stukas87 is one of the people I really pay attention to when he says something here....
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:40:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Second - very cool man...Stukas87 is one of the people I really pay attention to when he says something here....
View Quote
Thank You very kind.....
Now if only we can convince my Teenage kids to pay attention to me!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top