Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2021 7:24:07 PM EDT
I just received a new barrel today that I had ordered from Compass Lake Engineering back in February.  What I actually ordered was a Bartlein 20 inch varmit barrel that CLE cut the chamber on, gas block area, and threaded 1/2x28.  The barrel is exactly as I expected except where they threaded the barrel for the muzzle device.  The first three rows of threads are all buggered up on the side and there is all kinds of chatter marks on the end of the barrel that will probably have some effect on accuracy.  I don't know if I should send it back immediately or wait until I am down their way at the end of May.  It is just hard for me to imagine something like this getting by product controls when the customer is spending over five hundred dollars for a custom extreme accuracy barrel.  I called CLE and was told I can either ship it back or bring it in in a month when I am down their way.  The problem is, that I will be out another $15 to $20 to ship it back and then have to wait who knows how long for it to be returned.  I feel like I should be at least compensated for paying to ship the item back if I decide to.  It is just simply another example of taking another one or two minutes to do the job correctly when I have already been waiting two months on it.  I am wondering now if I should have used Craddock Precision or one of he other AR-15 barrel gunsmiths.  Has anyone else had a similar experience with CLE?  Is their quality of work not up to par any longer?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you post photos of the barrel?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I would not wait. The sooner you get it back to them, the sooner they can correct the problem. Hopefully that doesn't mean you waiting 2 or 3 months for another barrel.

You should be able to get them to at least cover the shipping cost. I would expect that and an apology at the minimum.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Pictures not loading!
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I would have called them before posting here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would have called them before posting here.
View Quote

Sounds like he did contact them and they responded, he just came on here to vent.

OP if you’re unhappy with the work, particularly at that price point, return the barrel and contact Craddock Precision.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can you post photos of the barrel?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#7]
If it indeed something they messed up you could ask to be reimbursed for shipping after that is confirmed. Expecting them to do it without looking at the barrel in person is not reasonable in my opinion.

If you’re in a hurry ship it back. Unfortunately stuff happens sometimes. It’s hard to say without pics but the other option is to go shoot it and see how it does.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Call Compass Lake and get an RMA tag. Most businesses will not take stuff back without one. They can also issue you a UPS or FedEx tag. Businesses receive a big discount on UPS/FedEx shipping.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Does the muzzle device thread on without binding? Also curious about these other defects you're talking about. Lets see some pictures.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Was the package damaged when it arrived, one end or the other taped up from being repaired?

If a barrel came out of its package and smacked against a cement floor it could cause the damage you described. All of the shipping companies have gorillas working in their warehouses.

Compass Lake Engineering is as good as it gets. They will repair or replace your barrel.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I had to go out of town for few days on business as soon as my barrel arrived at my home, so this is the reason I haven't posted a picture.  As soon as I get back home on Monday night, I will post a photo because I would everyone to see the "quality" work that I actually received.  I seriously think you are going to be surprised.  In all realty, it can probably be corrected in 15 minutes with a lathe and the correct tools, but it is an extreme let down for what I paid for the barrel.  It's not like I paid $79 for it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Compass Lake did ask if the box was damaged....which it wasn't at all.  As far as the barrel coming out of one end of the box and hitting the floor while UPS was shipping it...it could be a possibility but both ends of the box was taped identically and the bag it was shipped in was completely sealed and not torn anywhere.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:33:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Pics?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:09:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pics?
View Quote

Quoted:
I had to go out of town for few days on business as soon as my barrel arrived at my home, so this is the reason I haven't posted a picture.  As soon as I get back home on Monday night, I will post a photo because I would everyone to see the "quality" work that I actually received.  I seriously think you are going to be surprised.  In all realty, it can probably be corrected in 15 minutes with a lathe and the correct tools, but it is an extreme let down for what I paid for the barrel.  It's not like I paid $79 for it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:26:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Pics?

Quoted:

Still waiting…..
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:35:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Still waiting…..
View Quote

Get your time machine and go to Monday???
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 4:09:31 AM EDT
[#17]
tag
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 4:55:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:16:29 AM EDT
[#20]
See above post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top