Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By BrandonP:
My MARS-IR unit arrived today. Haven't zeroed it yet but I did take it out for some nighttime fun.

The beam is nicely collimated. It's not nearly as powerful as some of the US IR laser products but it's nice for aiming. The zero-to-red-dot feature is fantastic for those who have a logistical problem finding ranges that will let them shoot at night. The pressure switch is very solid. It doesn't look like a Gorilla could rip it off.

It's pricey but when you factor in the weight savings of having a red dot and IR laser in one package (and thus no need for a metal quad rail) it's a much lighter, more balanced package than an independent laser.

I wonder if they will upgrade a visible laser version to IR if I send it in to them, Ive had a visible laser version for a couple years now that I really dont care for, my opinion may change for an IR version.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 12:23:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alpha6164] [#2]
Does anybody have any info on the Beamshot 6000IR laser? The specs say 840nm and 0.7mW.  Not sure how it is legal if it is iR. All inputs would be appreciated.

Beamshot 6000 IR
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 3:06:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GySgtD] [#3]

Link Posted: 3/27/2010 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GySgtD:
here is a modified Beamshot 1000 laser; .5mw and 904nm:

I've had it since last Spring, and have had no failures or other drama. Shows up quite nicely out to as far as I've been able to test it (approx 500 yards), using a PVS-14. Easy to make hits; at least at the ranges that I attempted.

Mounting it on a non-railed rifle can be a bit of a challenge, but was able to mount it directly on the optics mount in front of the Reflex by using an inexpensive YHM angled rail section.

Nice. What are your modifications to the Beamshot 1000 laser?
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 3:41:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I used a PEQ2 in the service and now I own a PAQ4C.

I'm thinking about replacing my PAQ4 with something else.  I run Gen2 nightvision and that lone dot that the PAQ4C makes can be hard to spot at distance.
I also don't care much for its lever arm on the side.  I'll write a full review after I play with it more.

Here is my question.  Those newfangled PEQ15s.  How is the beam compared to the PEQ2.  Can you see the nice bright visible beam with them.  Is the illumination as bright?
Basically I'm curious if the thing is as ridiculously powered as the PEQ2.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Well I have gotten to play a little with the PAQ4C and the PEQ2A.  I'll have my thoughts posted later.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
A couple of thoughts on the PAQ4C vs PEQ2A

When I first picked up a PAQ4C it felt so light and flimsy I thought that it should have come as the toy in a Happy Meal.  It is small and light.  A metal PEQ2 rail mount feels to weigh almost as much as the PAQ4C.

The PAQ4C offers just an aiming laser.  It can be controlled using Insight's remote attachments, or via a lever on its side.  Here is a problem as that lever was designed to be used with the M16A2 handguards.  As someone else pointed out earlier in this thread, if the PAQ4C is mounted on the top rail of a M4 with RAS, you can not have a rail cover on the left side or the lever will not have enough space to move.  Also with a taller top rail, you can't use the lever if you mount the laser on the right side.

I bought this PAQ4C to be an aiming laser for the 2nd gen night vision I was using.  I found however that with this old beat up 2nd gen night vision the visible dot of the PAQ4C could be hard to spot and I could not see it at distance.

I ended up buying a PEQ2A and selling the PAQ4C.  The PEQ2 has an additional IR illuminator and a high mode for both the laser and illuminator.  On the low laser mode it is comparable, if not identical to the PAQ4C.  However it is the high modes that made it stand out.  Switching the PEQ2 to high I could see the aiming spot as far as I could see with the 2nd gen NVGs.  The beam spot was visible even beyond recognition range with the 2nd gen night vision I was using.

For pure aiming purposes, those of us with lesser night vision may find much benefit from the higher power modes of IR lasers like the PEQ2.

On a side note, I had forgotten that the PEQ2 had a bright green led to show when it was on.  Most of the PEQ2 I used in the service had that either broken or covered in tape.  Looking at one of the early post in this thread someone references soldiers using duct tape to hold their PEQ2's together.  I think its more likely that they are coving the LED and taping the serialized equipment down so it won't get lost.  The PAQ and the PEQ are not the toughest pieces of equipment, but they can survive a decent bit of military abuse.

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Victor:

Originally Posted By -Watcher-:

Originally Posted By Victor:

Watcher, one of Kev's buds has one of the best sites for Lasers and such. This was listed WAY back on this thread. (Arghhhh ONLY wish we could have our own dedicated NV forum soon!)

www.nightoperations.com/lasers.htm

Has MUCH of the info that can get you started in the right direction.

I see this link is now dead. Does anyone know if it is gone altogether or was there a change in URL?

Boy that was a bit back there before we had a NV forum! Indeed this site is now gone sorta speak. I will check with KevinB to see if there is another link. It was a great source of information on IR laser gear.

Seems like my follow-uips take quite a long time, but I take it nothing ever became of this?
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I recently picked up a generic DBAL with visible pointer. ir pointer and spot. The thing has an optional tape switch as well. It has hi/lo and all the other options as the regular dbal. I am going to do some shooting with it soon to see how well it holds up. Is at least as good as a converted beamshot. The thing is really cool and even has a green led on the back which has 2 brightness modes depending if you are in visible or IR so it will not blind your nods. Looks really good from my gen II sightowl unit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 2:14:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LA_357SIG] [#10]
Originally Posted By Darkstar117:
Anyone have any info on Lazermax's IR laser?

I just picked up one locally. It doesn't bloom close up with my non-autogated gen 2 monocular. It is the 850nm/0.7mW unimax model.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm new to the forum and LOVE it!!!!!!!  Maybe I missed it, but what about the TLR2 and Crimson Trace?  Are they legal lasers?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dnilson:
I'm new to the forum and LOVE it!!!!!!!  Maybe I missed it, but what about the TLR2 and Crimson Trace?  Are they legal lasers?  Thanks!

This particular thread is referring to IR lasers, not so much visible ones.
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 6:43:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: E98T] [#13]
I like my Vital 2 and DBALi2 a lot. The best thing about the Vital is the flashing dot (easy to distinguish your flashing dot from someone elses constant on dot). The nice thing about the DBALi2 is the IR/visible laser.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:57:53 AM EDT
[#15]
for later
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#16]
any new updates folks want to provide?
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice thread which will bring LOTS of discussions and questions.   First let me start off to clear some initial IR laser questions.  ALL Class 3 lasers are restricted for new sale for public consumption via the FDA. The units discussed here are indeed Class 3 lasers and are restricted new sale items and are only sold to government agencies.  In fact, the latest news I am hearing is no more new sales even to the LE circles!  Insight will not even drop ship any longer to LE Dept’s and NVEC's policy is ONLY to .gov as well! There is no current law that I know of that states they are illegal to own, only new sale restrictions from the manufactures.  As always, please check with your local laws before purchasing any IR laser equipment.

My input and question:

I notice that Crimson Trace, Eotech, and Holosun all sell and are weekly selling class IIIa laser sights (technically pointers) and don't seem to be restricted to only LE or military purchases.  Is it perhaps because the power output is below the restriction threshold?

From this spec table (example is using Holosun LE420-gr laser/ir sight) is power <5  and wavelength of 520 for hi output.  

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top