Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/22/2018 4:15:20 PM EDT
Yes I know the AR doesn't kick much - definitely not my FN barreled 16" middy - but I DO kind of want to tame it a bit so the recoil impulse matches up better the RA-140 I put in it.

Not wanting to put a huge honking brake on it that'll heavily peeve off the people near me at the range so I'm wondering what my options are for a combo FH/Comp. Only ones that pop to mind are the BCM and PWS fsc556
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Griffin Armament Flash Comp
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Surefire WarComp might suit? Can be timed neutral, or biased left or right depending which side you shoot from.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
VG6 Epsilon is both.  They can't sell them in CA since they are considered flash hiders.  It has a device available called a "CAGE Device" that will reduce concussion to the sides, but it also costs as much as the comp does.  As the name implies (although "CAGE stands for Concussion Altering Gas Expansion device) it is a basket-like cage that goes over the comp.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Precision Armament AFAB.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for the VG6. It's a multi purpose device. Built well, made by Aero/Ballistic Advantage
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Look into the SLR Rifleworks Synergy BCF 5.56 Mod 1. I like them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#7]
READ THIS

As an owner of the Griffin Flash Comp and Knight Armament MAMS

Get the Precision Armament AFAB.  It's the best hybrid non-suppressor that exists.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Precision Armament AFAB.
View Quote
YEP
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:58:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Surefire warcomp is the best out there.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Strike Industries J comp. Based on the Japanese Type 89 compensator / flash hider. The old one looked pretty good the new one looks gimmicky.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I have tried ALOT. These are my recommendations if you don't want side concussion.

The older open tine PWS TRIAD. I haven't tried the new one yet.

FOSSA 556

http://www.whitesounddefense.com/fossa-556/

Midwest Industries

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-AR15-Flash-Hider-Impact-Device-p/mi-arfh1.htm
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Precision Armament AFAB.
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#13]
PWS FSC would technically meet all your requirements.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#14]
How is the AFAB compared to the SFMB and open tine warcomp?

I know it will be less blasty than the MB but I’m speaking asking about muzzle control and recoil impulse.

I have a neutral timed close tine warcomp that has an odd recoil impulse....pops to the right and almost down a bit so I’m trying a few others....have a mams, warcomp and MB on the way....may try an AFAB.

@kiddsf because I know you've used all of these and are also a KAC guy like myself.....
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I know it will be less blasty than the MB but I’m speaking asking about muzzle control and recoil impulse.

I have a neutral timed close tine warcomp that has an odd recoil impulse....pops to the right and almost down a bit so I’m trying a few others....have a mams, warcomp and MB on the way....may try an AFAB.

@kiddsf because I know you've used all of these and are also a KAC guy like myself.....
View Quote
Kidds also likes the AFAB

Trust us it is the best hybrid out there
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Kidds also likes the AFAB

Trust us it is the best hybrid out there
View Quote
You were the other person I was about to drag in here

I'm just trying to get a handle on the recoil impulse.  I really like a straight back and up push- original warcomp does that, SFMB does that.  If you look at them though, they both have bias ports on the right to keep the muzzle from jumping that way toward path of least resistance.

I can't actually remember what the MAMS feels like, but if you've tried both and are endorsing the AFAB, that says a lot.

No cans here in IL, but I do have a Warden for keeping the SFMB's at bay when needed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#17]
M16A2 flash hider/comp.  Best $6 you will ever spend.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've used all 4 you mentioned, plus the EFAB, Lantac Dragon, BCM, PWS, etc etc... it is kinda embarrassing how many MD I've tried...

The ones that might interest you that I've tried, KAC MAMS, PA AFAB, PA EFAB, SFMB556, and SF Warcomp open tine(haven't tried the closed version), without a doubt the PA EFAB/AFAB is the best MD I've ever tried.

I prefer the EFAB over the AFAB simply b/c of how it looks, they are functionally the same, and maybe with slight edge on the EFAB.
The EFAB/AFAB has more reduction on recoil and muzzle climb than the MAMS and Warcomp by a good amount... kind of like the difference between Mid-Length and Rifle-Length guns.
It won't have the strange recoiling behavior you mentioned, but it will be less effective at recoil reduction than a true multi-ports muzzle brake.
However, the EFAB/AFAB has less muzzle blast and muzzle flash than the true Muzzle Brakes like the SFMB and Lantac Dragon.

The multiple internal baffles on the AFAB/EFAB softens the recoil and reduces greatly on the muzzle climb.
Comparing it to other 'compensators' which only have 1 expansion chamber with multiple ports, like the MAMS.
Those are just not as effective as the multi-baffle design like the AFAB/EFAB.
As the same time, the muzzle blast are softened up by the multi-ports/small holes on the exterior(or grooves/channels on AFAB).
The small holes or grooves/channels also creates a secondary effect that helps to hide flash. (True multi-ports muzzle brake lacks this feature)
Both the AFAB/EFAB will have 3 prongs at the tip, to add another layer to its flash hiding capability....
The flash hiding is about as effective as A2 from tests I've seen... which is already pretty good, especially when it reduces more recoil than the MAMS and other compensator.

IMHO, the AFAB/EFAB is the best overall MD you can get... it is pretty much the best 'fusion' of FH and MB.
If the PA AFAB/EFAB can accept suppressors.... it would be hard for me to recommand anything else.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
READ THIS

Get the Precision Armament AFAB.  It's the best hybrid non-suppressor that exists.
View Quote
I didn't have to read to agree, but I did read it none the less

Having owned MAMS, SFMB, SF Warcomp, PWS, BCM, Lantac Dragon, etc etc.... I agree the PA AFAB/EFAB is the best 'hybrid/combo' muzzle device you can get.
Unless you want it as a suppressor host, than the AFAB/EFAB is the answer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've used all 4 you mentioned, plus the EFAB, Lantac Dragon, BCM, PWS, etc etc... it is kinda embarrassing how many MD I've tried...

The ones that might interest you that I've tried, KAC MAMS, PA AFAB, PA EFAB, SFMB556, and SF Warcomp open tine(haven't tried the closed version), without a doubt the PA EFAB/AFAB is the best MD I've ever tried.

I prefer the EFAB over the AFAB simply b/c of how it looks, they are functionally the same, and maybe with slight edge on the EFAB.
The EFAB/AFAB has more reduction on recoil and muzzle climb than the MAMS and Warcomp by a good amount... kind of like the difference between Mid-Length and Rifle-Length guns.
It won't have the strange recoiling behavior you mentioned, but it will be less effective at recoil reduction than a true multi-ports muzzle brake.
However, the EFAB/AFAB has less muzzle blast and muzzle flash than the true Muzzle Brakes like the SFMB and Lantac Dragon.

The multiple internal baffles on the AFAB/EFAB softens the recoil and reduces greatly on the muzzle climb.
Comparing it to other 'compensators' which only have 1 expansion chamber with multiple ports, like the MAMS.
As the same time, the muzzle blast are softened up by the multi-ports/small holes on the exterior(or grooves/channels on AFAB).
The small holes or grooves/channels also creates a secondary effect that helps to hide flash. (True multi-ports muzzle brake lacks this feature)
Both the AFAB/EFAB will have 3 prongs at the tip, to add another layer to its flash hiding capability....
The flash hiding is about as effective as A2 from tests I've seen... which is already pretty good, especially when it reduces more recoil than the MAMS and other compensator.

IMHO, the AFAB/EFAB is the best overall MD you can get... it is pretty much the best 'fusion' of FH and MB.
If the PA AFAB/EFAB can accept suppressors.... it would be hard for me to recommand anything else.
View Quote
Thank you for the insight.

I have 6 rifles im going to tinker with and change things around on. It seems like for the NVG rifles the warcomp would be the best fit. For my “blasters”, the SFMB would be a good fit (since I have a warden).  For the general purpose defensive rifles, the AFAB would be the best fit.

Ill give them a shot!
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
PWS FSC would technically meet all your requirements.
View Quote
Having owned one in the past, I would not recommend it.
The PWS FSC is too concussive and creates too much flash.

Precision Armament AFAB/EFAB reduces the recoil and muzzle climb really well, and has the flash hiding capability similar to the A2 FH.

Muzzle brake has its flash and blast issues.
Flash Hider has its recoil and muzzle climb issues.
The AFAB/EFAB pretty much solved all and functions well in either field, and it is the best muzzle device in the 'compensator' category.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thank you for the insight.

I have 6 rifles im going to tinker with and change things around on. It seems like for the NVG rifles the warcomp would be the best fit. For my “blasters”, the SFMB would be a good fit (since I have a warden).  For the general purpose defensive rifles, the AFAB would be the best fit.

Ill give them a shot!
View Quote
If you want the very best in either muzzle reduction or flash hiding.... you have to get either a FH or MB.... as 'compensator' won't be the best in either one.
AFAB/EFAB is amazing at 'doing well enough' in either category though.

Edit: I don't think the SF Warcomp is a good idea for NV... My friend uses NV and he mentioned the ports on the warcomp does flash enough that he decided to get a Meyers.
To me, the Warcomp didn't do too much on the muzzle climb reduction or softening the recoil.
I would recommend an actual FH for NV shooting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ve used the WC under NVGs without issue, likely the ammo i was using versus your buddy.

Warcomps don’t seem to do much of anything for reducing recoil or muzzle rise, so I’d agree.  What I like is that they send everything straight back and straight up versus off to the side which I find extremely helpful.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I’ve used the WC under NVGs without issue, likely the ammo i was using versus your buddy.

Warcomps don’t seem to do much of anything for reducing recoil or muzzle rise, so I’d agree.  What I like is that they send everything straight back and straight up versus off to the side which I find extremely helpful.
View Quote
Gotcha, that is good.
Whatever works, works!
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thoughts and agree.  The one reason I like the AFAB over the EFAB is weight reduction.  I believe the EFAB is a bit bulkier...
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#26]
If you want to put a suppressor on go with the Griffin flash comp.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 12:54:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you want to put a suppressor on go with the Griffin flash comp.
View Quote
Yes. Which would be a top 5-7 choice but no where-near-the-top-alone comp
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 12:59:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
READ THIS

View Quote
Most of my Comps/FH/Brakes are for the suppressors I own but, I would most likely go the the AFAB if I was wanting a hybrid due to all the good feedback I seen.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:06:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
As someone whose opinion I respect, I would love to hear your impressions on all how they all compare. I have a good amount of trigger time behind KAC TTB's and MAMS as well as SFMB's. Would have liked to get a Warcomp to try out but, I only have legacy SF suppressors and they do not make them for those older cans unfortunately.

I also have a decent amount of trigger time behind a Battlecomp, other dual port type brakes, 3 prong FH's as well.

ETA: Guess I should have read the rest of the thread before posting this cause @kiddsf pretty much addressed most of the questions. Either way, it would still be nice to get your take on the ones you'll be testing as well.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top