That’s beautiful.  What was the price?
View Quote
$2400
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice,Probably will pick one up,Working on a new cash infusion
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Wow!  It even has selector stops!  And all the right rollmarks.  

Congrats!  
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Very very nice!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Outstanding!!!! That  MP marking on the barrel is a very nice touch!!!!  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s very nice and not to try and make you feel bad about your purchase but the engraving looks to good. It’s obvious it’s engraved rather than roll marked.

Otherwise nice job and nice purchase.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s very nice and not to try and make you feel bad about your purchase but the engraving looks to good. It’s obvious it’s engraved rather than roll marked.

View Quote
Regardless, in a couple of years when the original retro market dries up, people will be paying big money for these, engraved or roll mark wont matter....
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#9]
That’s beautiful. The price of these retro Colts is more than I can afford, but it’s really great to see them recognize the popularity of their vintage rifles and offer them like this. It seems like better business sense than they’ve show in the past. I was talking about the Colt Python with a friend a couple years ago and discussing how they could have capitalized on the Python’s role in the Walking Dead and brought it back, but Colt didn’t seem to be interested.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Really nice. I like it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I like it too.  Now if GM would just see the light and give us some retro Hydra-Matics!
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like it too.  Now if GM would just see the light and give us some retro Hydra-Matics!
View Quote
Does GM make anything firearm related for uncle sam anymore?
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Beautiful little carbine

Does the stock have a vinyl acetate coating, or is it powder coated? Also, the front handguards look nice and shiney, are they fiberglass infused like the originals?
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#14]
too cool for school.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#15]
OP..........we need a pic of the entire right side of the upper please.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, this is indeed a very nice retro reproduction.  But, as I have repeatedly pointed out, the front sling swivel should be roll pinned in place.  It should not be riveted.  If anyone went to the effort to construct and market a retro 'E2, why would not perform the correct front swivel attachment?  It's simple and cheap to boot.  This ain't brain surgery.

Quoted:
OP..........we need a pic of the entire right side of the upper please.
View Quote
Look here for some very nice detailed pictures.  It's not mine and I do not know the seller.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/776791216

(Colt got the retro ejection port door correct.)
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Now you need to use it well. It looks unnaturally clean
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Question on the lower.  Now, maybe it's just the angle or my messed up eyes, but it looks to me like the rear shelf there isn't symmetrical. Looks like the right side isn't milled out as far as the left. I remember Colt used to leave a chunk of aluminum at the rear intact, ostensibly to prevent full auto triggers from being dropped in.  Is this a new method of doing the same or just something they've started doing for the Retro clones?
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Question on the lower.  Now, maybe it's just the angle or my messed up eyes, but it looks to me like the rear shelf there isn't symmetrical. Looks like the right side isn't milled out as far as the left. I remember Colt used to leave a chunk of aluminum at the rear intact, ostensibly to prevent full auto triggers from being dropped in.  Is this a new method of doing the same or just something they've started doing for the Retro clones?
View Quote
The asymmetrical milling in that area is how Colt did it from 1964 until they starred adding the sear blocks in the 90's.

So even that is true "retro".
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there a pin in the sight base hole for the gas tube? Hard to see one in the pic.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow. Nice.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Beautiful
Is the barrel chrome-lined?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#23]
That's actually a surprising level of attention to detail on Colt's part.  Kudos.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Are these receivers on these Colt repos anodized grey, or are they coated?  The reason I ask is in the following picture, it looks a lot like Norrell's greyish flat black over black anodizing to me (especially around the bolt catch area).  If so, that would explain where all the grey moly resin went!  Either way, I'd still be proud to own one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 12:15:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Are these receivers on these Colt repos anodized grey, or are they coated?  The reason I ask is in the following picture, it looks a lot like Norrell's greyish flat black over black anodizing to me (especially around the bolt catch area).  If so, that would explain where all the grey moly resin went!  Either way, I'd still be proud to own one.
https://s22.postimg.cc/ujrieu7up/20180630_104811.jpg
View Quote
I think what you’re seeing is oil where the upper receiver was touching.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 12:40:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's very nice and not to try and make you feel bad about your purchase but the engraving looks to good. It's obvious it's engraved rather than roll marked.

View Quote
I think OP's picture might be slightly processed and softened and I guess I can't speak directly to his rifle but mine is very definitely roll marked and I would think his is as well.
The stock is vinyl coated and I have no idea what the handguards are infused with. I didn't have an xm177 but I have had many period rifles and honestly, they did a very good job with both reissues. Other than the ATF concessions and being too clean and probably built with more care than the originals they are as close as I believe they could ever be.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 12:50:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Kick ass serial number!
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Some more pics.

Link Posted: 7/2/2018 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone know if any of these are anodized black? I asked a retailer that has some in stock and he says his are black. I remember the M16A1 Reissue had some in black and some in gray when they first released them. I'm confused  about it and don't want to spend that kind of money and end up with one anodized black. Has to be gray for me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#30]
These pictures look dark grey to me.

My Sporter Match HBAR from 1991 is a dark grey that l thought was black until l started acquiring ARs that truly were black.  When held side by side you can see the difference. And I'll bet that's what's going on here.  Dark grey vs. light grey.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I was thinking the same thing, that the employee was thinking the dark gray was black. I pressed him on it and asked him to send me a photo. He replied, "While I'm unable to take a physical picture of the rifle in the warehouse, I can assure you it is most certainly black in color." So for that kind of money I just can't take a chance that the rifle is actually black, especially with what went on with the M16A1 Reissue. I guess if I decide to purchase I'll have to have it in my hand before giving up that kind of cash.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#33]
That is a very cool rifle! Me like but too muchie!!

I made my own before retro was cool. It's not a great copy but it's mine.

Link Posted: 7/2/2018 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I thought these re-releases were suppose to be roll marked? That was a huge selling point.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The asymmetrical milling in that area is how Colt did it from 1964 until they starred adding the sear blocks in the 90's.

So even that is true "retro".
View Quote
Interesting.  I'd never encountered that before, except actually on new Colt Canada lowers for their civilian sales.  Thanks Bee, learn something new everyday.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice!!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I thought these re-releases were suppose to be roll marked? That was a huge selling point.
View Quote
I am pretty sure that I saw one for sale on Gun Broker and it looked like it was rollmarked and not engraved.  I wonder if Colt is subbing out the manufacturing to others?  I also thought the E2s did not have the chrome bolt carriers. Does anyone know if the original E2s came with chrome bolt carriers?
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I also thought the E2s did not have the chrome bolt carriers. Does anyone know if the original E2s came with chrome bolt carriers?
View Quote
That was my thought, upon seeing the pictures, too.

If the Colts were $1,000 cheaper, or maybe even just $500 cheaper, I'd jump in. I just really don't want to spend the $2400 for it though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I am pretty sure that I saw one for sale on Gun Broker and it looked like it was rollmarked and not engraved.  I wonder if Colt is subbing out the manufacturing to others?  I also thought the E2s did not have the chrome bolt carriers. Does anyone know if the original E2s came with chrome bolt carriers?
View Quote
And this is what most people don't know.

They aren't made by Colt. They are contracted by Colt to US Ordnance.

Colt is simply the reseller with their brand name on it.
The sad thing on top of that, is I don't think "Colt" actually makes anything anymore.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#41]
How competent is US Ordnance?
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How competent is US Ordnance?
View Quote
Very competent... They are a military contractor as well. http://www.armyproperty.com/manufacturer/1NZN0
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Have one all grey and a great rifle.And on other forums guys either hate them or love them.Well i had originals back in the day, And this one is a winner.SAVED MYSELF  about $25,000.00 by getting this instead of shopping for a original new in box XM177E2. Some think $2,500.00 is too much well how about $30 grand today for the real deal.

It always gets me when i was buying them back in the day for 1200 bucks. full autos. and i would hear at gun shows while displaying. WOW too much money. I bet everyone of those complainers never owned anything. They just wanted to complain about everything.and went and bought a Mini-14  {MAYBE}
well congrats to the poster on the rifle. Enjoy it all you made a wise move.
MADDI
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#44]
THEY ARE GREY. tell him to take off the Blues Brothers dark sunglasses.
And quit listening to all the false and b.s. info out there and buy one if you desire.Or in a few years you can wear that famous gun show T-shirt  woulda coulda shoulda shoulda.
98% are wearing those now. frikkin gun bizz. some should just collect wood dolls and Lincoln logs. watch out for the slivers ha ha enjoy the show MADDI

UPdate just had a guy check out ten in the box all grey, And he said he has not seen a black one ever but for a pic on the net around 2016 promo from Colt. That tells me there is none.And these even look better then Old... in fit and finish.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#45]
US Ordnance is good to Go.... shit id buy one if they had their name on it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Very nice.  I just added that to my "next to buy" list.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Very nice.  I just added that to my "next to buy" list.
View Quote
Just ordered one from Arms Unlimited yesterday.....By the way, great pics bwhited
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#48]
$2400...
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Most of the opinions that I've seen on here all agree that the Colt is overpriced by around $1,000.00. So, for those that don't want to spend $2400 on the Colt, what would be the better option? Gathering the parts, getting an 80% A1 lower or a completed one, and building it yourself, or for those that don't want to build, getting a Brownells or Troy rifle?

I've seen some reviews on the Brownells and apparently there's a few issues with it, like the stock being plastic and the upper/lower receivers being black. I've also seen the Troy, which is a tad lower priced from the Brownells and seems to be more correct.

With regard to Troy, I've seen a comment or two about people not liking them, but I've never seen the reason why. Any insight into that? Any opinions on their XM177E2?
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Most of the opinions that I've seen on here all agree that the Colt is overpriced by around $1,000.00. So, for those that don't want to spend $2400 on the Colt, what would be the better option? Gathering the parts, getting an 80% A1 lower or a completed one, and building it yourself, or for those that don't want to build, getting a Brownells or Troy rifle?

I've seen some reviews on the Brownells and apparently there's a few issues with it, like the stock being plastic and the upper/lower receivers being black. I've also seen the Troy, which is a tad lower priced from the Brownells and seems to be more correct.

With regard to Troy, I've seen a comment or two about people not liking them, but I've never seen the reason why. Any insight into that? Any opinions on their XM177E2?
View Quote
I'm about $750 into my retro build, and I've got another...maybe hundred or so in parts to go, but they are nitpicky parts (A1 port door, grey mag release and trigger guard, short A1 grips, etc). Biding your time and waiting will net you extreme deals. I picked up my NDS lower right as they had some coming back from being coated and I got my upper from Brownells on sale for $100 (there is another sale right now, by the way). I also lucked out and got the $200 barrel for free. So generally, I'd say you'd come in at around $1K for a decent repro build, maybe a little more if you wanted to go the whole 9 yards and get the lower engraved, all original parts, etc. Again, this is just me personally. You may have a totally different experience as others on here I'm sure have as well.

As for Troy - http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/08/daniel-zimmerman/what-the-hells-the-problem-with-troy-industries/
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top