Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2022 5:18:08 PM EDT
So I recently purchased a complete Colt upper.  I received the upper yesterday and a couple things are odd to me.  The upper is a keyhole forge but it doesn’t have a raised C or the cage code on it.  It also doesn’t have the M4 stamp on the front above the gas tube.  However, the barrel does have the cage code and the M/P stamp along with the 1/7 twist rate and 5.56 stamp.  I looked in the chamber and the chamber looks to have the dry film lube and not the anodizing.  Also the T marks on the upper are white.  I guess my concerns are is it normal for a relatively new Colt upper to not have a cage code on the upper but the barrel does and is it normal for a Colt upper to not have the M4 stamp on the front.  

I’ve looked at other threads about forgeries and they mostly deal with the raised C and keyhole.  They also don’t have the white T marks and dry film lube.  My upper has some of that but not all of that stuff.  I also saw one response on the forgery thread where somebody said they got one from Brownells that didn’t have any of these markings either.  I’m just worried because I have 2 older Colt rifles and 2 newer Colt uppers and this one is just a little bit different from the two newer uppers.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the new normal, unfortunately....
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is the new normal, unfortunately....
View Quote

Yes this is civilian production, cage code uppers can still be gotten and getting a cage code upper on a factory rifle is hit or miss.

3 recent socom purchases, 1 had a cage code stamped upper, the other 2 were “blank” keyhole uppers
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I guess my concerns are is it normal for a relatively new Colt upper to not have a cage code on the upper but the barrel does and is it normal for a Colt upper to not have the M4 stamp on the front.  

View Quote

These days,  yes.

Link Posted: 1/6/2022 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Raised C are long gone.. 15ish years ago.. modern markings are stamped.
The M4 in front of the receiver is gone as well just like the F on the fsb.

I’d be more focused on the barrel and BCG markings
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not trying to advertise here, just provide proof that everything can be Colt stuff even if it isn't marked, but this link to some uppers I'm trying to sell in the EE are straight out of the box from OEM2 rifles.

Scroll down for pics

Coincidentally, an OEM2 I got from another place with close to the same production date was M4 and cage coded on the upper.

Link Posted: 1/6/2022 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I just sent an upper back to Brownells that had nothing but a forge marking on the receiver. Barrel was cage code marked Colt, carrier had a faint C mark, and bolt had a faint MPC engraving. The barrel extension had been ground on pretty bad and the upper receiver had several smashed teeth. Not dings, scratches, or chips like typical Colt but full on deformed like someone clamped a bare upper in a vice. It was a pretty sorry upper. I was initially going to use the BCG and maybe resell the upper half but the more I looked at it the more I couldn't do that. I hope CZ helps turn things around because I've seen a Century assembled CETME from the old days that looked better.

@WIZZO_ARAKM14 those OEM2 uppers actually look pretty nice compared to the LE6921 upper I bought brand new from Brownells last month.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
>the upper receiver had several smashed teeth. Not dings, scratches, or chips like typical Colt but full on deformed like someone clamped a bare upper in a vice.
View Quote

@jonathon

Details? I'm not tracking.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2022 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The M4 in front of the receiver is gone . . .
View Quote

False.  The upper received pictured below is from a 2021 production Colt AR-15A4 (CR6700A4).  The "M4" mark above the gas tube channel is clearly visible.  The upper receiver is also "cage-code" marked.

Link Posted: 1/6/2022 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

False.  The upper received pictured below is from a 2021 production Colt AR-15A4 (CR6700A4).  The "M4" mark above the gas tube channel is clearly visible.  The upper receiver is also "cage-code" marked.

https://i.ibb.co/vDfXS11/colt-m4-upper-receiver-m4-mark-cr6700a4-01.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/6JvjmJt/colt-m4-upper-receiver-cr6700a4-cage-code-01.jpg

View Quote

Many of the CR6920s are shipping w/o CAGE/M4 marked upper receivers.

It's Colt....and Colt never makes sense. Here one batch/gone the next.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@jonathon

View Quote

I should have taken pictures. It was like they clamped the upper by the edges of the rails in a vice and cranked on it but it wasn’t even or consistent. I doubt anything would have held zero mounted to it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Colt is doing the Arfcom approach.

They're doing both
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I should have taken pictures. It was like they clamped the upper by the edges of the rails in a vice and cranked on it but it wasn’t even or consistent. I doubt anything would have held zero mounted to it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@jonathon

The Picitinny top rail on receiver?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it’s been pretty much hit or miss as fas as markings go lately.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys for all the replies.  I’m using an older Colt BCG so I know it is legit and the barrel has the proper markings.  Also, the FSB pins look good and not like it was built, no dings or mushrooming.  I guess it is a legit newer Colt upper so I am fine with that.  It’s going to be more of a kiss, truck rifle anyway but I still want it to work and I still want what I paid for and it appears it is.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:32:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly. Like they laid the upper on it’s side and whacked it with a hammer right on the edge of the rail.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 6:28:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Exactly. Like they laid the upper on it’s side and whacked it with a hammer right on the edge of the rail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So I recently purchased a complete Colt upper.  I received the upper yesterday and a couple things are odd to me.  The upper is a keyhole forge but it doesn’t have a raised C or the cage code on it.  It also doesn’t have the M4 stamp on the front above the gas tube.  However, the barrel does have the cage code and the M/P stamp along with the 1/7 twist rate and 5.56 stamp.  I looked in the chamber and the chamber looks to have the dry film lube and not the anodizing.  Also the T marks on the upper are white.  I guess my concerns are is it normal for a relatively new Colt upper to not have a cage code on the upper but the barrel does and is it normal for a Colt upper to not have the M4 stamp on the front.  

I’ve looked at other threads about forgeries and they mostly deal with the raised C and keyhole.  They also don’t have the white T marks and dry film lube.  My upper has some of that but not all of that stuff.  I also saw one response on the forgery thread where somebody said they got one from Brownells that didn’t have any of these markings either.  I’m just worried because I have 2 older Colt rifles and 2 newer Colt uppers and this one is just a little bit different from the two newer uppers.
View Quote

T marks should be white.  Chamber/barrel should be chromed lined.  Colt uppers can be indistinguishable now days.

CD
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Based upon this thread I created one of my own in the "COLT" section of "INDUSTRY".  Here is a repost ...

I have personally inspected about a dozen CR6920 locally and the markings have ranged accordingly:

UPPER ASSEMBLY

UPPER RECEIVERS

All included T-Marks
Keyhole without M4 (Front Face)
Keyhole with M4 (Front Face)
Keyhole with Colt Cage Code & M4 (Front Face)

BARRELS

All had Colt Cage Code + M P
Various markings near chamber including "A"

FRONT SIGHT BASES

None have been marked "F"

BOLTS

No marking
MPC (ultra light / barely visible)
MPC A (ultra light / barely visible)

EXTRACTOR

No marking
Colt Cage Code

BOLT CARRIERS

No marking
C (ultra light / barely visible)

CHARGING HANDLES

No marking
Colt Cage Code

HANDGUARDS

All double heat shield without glue

LOWER ASSEMBLY

LOWER RECEIVERS

All marked "CARBINE"

TRIGGER GUARDS

No marking
Colt Cage Code

HAMMERS

F1
Square "S"
Colt Cage Code

BUTTSTOCKS

Colt Cage Code (13629)
P&S Cage Code (4U486) + Made In USA

PISTOL GRIPS

No marking (shiny plastic)
F-1 (traditional Colt chalky black)

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As others have said, this is normal for Colt.  Having owned Colt ARs since 1984 I can say I disagree this is the "new" normal.  This is simply "normal" for Colt.  I remember cutting the factory tape seals on AR-15A2 rifles that had A1 uppers, etc.  Colt simply pulls whatever is sitting in the bin and assembles the rifle/carbine.

I have personally looked at about a dozen CR6920 locally and the markings have ranged greatly:

UPPERS

Keyhole without M4
Keyhole with M4
Keyhole with Cage Code & M4

TRIGGER GUARD

No marking
Cage Code

CHARGING HANDLE

No marking
Cage Code

HAMMER

No marking
F1
Cage Code

BOLT

No marking
MPC (ultra light / barely visible)
MPC A (ultra light / barely visible)

BOLT CARRIER

No marking
C (ultra light / barely visible)

BARREL

All had Cage Code + M P

BUTTSTOCK

Colt Cage Code (13629)
P&S Cage Code (4U486) + Made In USA

PISTOL GRIPS

No marking (shiny plastic)
F-1 (traditional Colt chalky black)

HANDGUARDS

All double heat shield without glue

FSB

None have been marked "F"

I think I'll start a thread with this findings.

View Quote

In the past few months I have sold a few dozen new 6920s. According to Colt, or an internet basement dweller, forget which, they no longer do the F FSB, and that has been true with these last several. All of these had cage code on receiver and barrel. Carriers, bolts and CH have been inconsistent with markings.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#20]
A few people said this is the "new normal" for Colt.  I disagree.  This is just "normal" for Colt.

I have owned Colt AR-15s since 1984, and have seen some really strange factory markings / parts combinations, etc.  Everything from factory complete 20" A2 uppers on SP-1 style (no fence) lowers marked AR-15A2 to A1 uppers with A2 Gov't Profile barrels, etc.

Colt basically just grabs the next part in the bin and assembles the carbine/rifle.  I don't think they have ever been that focused on consistency (from a "this part only belongs on this model" or "marking" perspective) for CIVILIAN ARs.  I imagine this is different for military firearms.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

In the past few months I have sold a few dozen new 6920s. According to Colt, or an internet basement dweller, forget which, they no longer do the F FSB, and that has been true with these last several. All of these had cage code on receiver and barrel. Carriers, bolts and CH have been inconsistent with markings.
View Quote

I think I read the same about the FSB.  I have helped a few people zero new CR6920 over the past 2-3 months, and none had issue when using the factory installed MagPul MBUS, a USGI / Square Forge carry handle and my personal firearm with a DD A1.5.

As a related comment, all exhibited Colt's traditionally accepted outstanding accuracy.  No reliability issues whatsoever over around 1000 rounds between three rifles.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#22]
FSB MARKING

ETA:

Confirmed here at one point by AU, IIRC.

Also in an email comm that I had with Colt CS a few years ago.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
FSB MARKING

ETA:

Confirmed here at one point by AU, IIRC.

Also in an email comm that I had with Colt CS a few years ago.
View Quote

Thanks for clarifying Tig.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are currently two versions of the 20 inch Colt rifle. One has the model number ar15a4, the other one is the current production cr6700a4. They are both ar15a4 types, but the actual model numbers differ.  The ar15a4 have a tendency to be marked as before because they are new old stock still coming out of the factory. The cr models have the new CARBINE marked lower and no longer have cage code or m4 stamp above the gas tube hole, among others.

When they first hit the market, a lot of people were picking up the new cr6920 and they also lacked a lot of markings.

One of my local dealers had about twelve 6921 factory built uppers and he was upset because they had no markings and some people were actually refusing to buy them because of it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The cr models have the new CARBINE marked lower and no longer have cage code or m4 stamp above the gas tube hole, among others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cr models have the new CARBINE marked lower and no longer have cage code or m4 stamp above the gas tube hole, among others.

What part of "CR6700A4" didn't you understand the first time I posted it?

The upper received pictured below is from a 2021 production Colt AR-15A4 (CR6700A4).  The "M4" mark above the gas tube channel is clearly visible.  The upper receiver is also "cage-code" marked.

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The upper received pictured below is from a 2021 production Colt AR-15A4 (CR6700A4).  The "M4" mark above the gas tube channel is clearly visible.  The upper receiver is also "cage-code" marked.

The part where you seem to be confused, because you keep posting on people's threads, contradicting that they have unmarked parts. A lot of people have received unmarked parts. On complete rifles, on complete uppers, and on individual parts.  Just because you have one that is different doesn't mean other people are wrong.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The part where you seem to be confused, because you keep posting on people's threads, contradicting that they have unmarked parts. A lot of people have received unmarked parts. On complete rifles, on complete uppers, and on individual parts.  Just because you have one that is different doesn't mean other people are wrong.
View Quote

Hey Einstein, try actually reading the words that I've posted instead of pretending that I've said things that I haven't because I never said that there aren't people that have unmarked parts.  I said that the people claiming that marked parts are now "gone" were wrong and I posted factual data showing that they were wrong.

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There are currently two versions of the 20 inch Colt rifle. One has the model number ar15a4, the other one is the current production cr6700a4. They are both ar15a4 types, but the actual model numbers differ…………… The ar15a4 have a tendency to be marked as before because they are new old stock still coming out of the factory.
View Quote

I don’t believe the last past to be correct.  The current AR15A4(model number) is laser engraved with the most current ones having selector stops.  That is not NOS rifles that have been hanging around the factory.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#29]
For what it’s worth I bought a new cr6920 and the upper is marked 13629 with square forge mark and m4 mark above the gas tube. Bcg is marked and has a white dot on it. It’s also probably the nicest colt I have bought as far fit and finish. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Well would you look at this.  Two more 2021 production Colt bolts, and what's that I see . . . they're both marked with an
M  P  C

One of them even has the famous white dot on it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2022 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#31]
It's Colt. Things vary from batch to batch.

Anybody who thinks that they have it figured out is fooling themselves.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Anybody who shows up in tech threads to run their pie hole on subject matters that they fail to post any kind of actual first-hand data on and then try to twist what those who actually do post first-hand data have said are one of the big reasons that most of the truly knowledgeable members no longer share their first-hand data on this web site.

Link Posted: 1/18/2022 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Anybody who shows up in tech threads to run their pie hole on subject matters that they fail to post any kind of actual first-hand data on and then try to twist what those who actually do post first-hand data have said are one of the big reasons that most of the truly knowledgeable members no longer share their first-hand data on this web site.

View Quote

The OP asked for authentication because some of his parts were not "Colt" marked. Many were happy to oblige because a lot of Colt parts have been leaving the factory unmarked. Both recently, and even historically.

The only thing you are doing is showing Colt marked parts. It isn't doing anything to answer the OPs question and you aren't imparting any knowledge or useful data to anyone.

You can post all the pictures you want. It doesn't make you right or your data relevant.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You can post all the pictures you want. It doesn't make you right or your data relevant.
View Quote

I’m sorry that your poor education has resulted in critical thinking being a foreign concept to you. It’s a basic tenant of logic that if someone claims that something is “gone” and someone else produces evidence that the subject of discussion is not gone, then the first statement is categorically false.

Likewise, if someone states that the subject of discussion “no longer” exists and someone else produces evidence of its existence, then the first person’s statement is also categorically false.

False information has no place in a technical thread.  It is the responsibility of every thinking, logical, knowledgeable person here to correct such falsehoods.

This is a technichal thread and the only thing that matters here is factual data.  Your feelings on a subject matter are irrelevant. Your failure of logic is irrelevant. The fact that I’ve contributed more first-hand data to this website in a single month than you will in your entire lifetime demonstrates which of us is actually irrelevant here.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#35]
It's always comical when people try to talk in absolutes around colt markings. There is only one absolute - Colt is totally inconsistent on marking their parts.

Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There is only one absolute - Colt is totally inconsistent <

View Quote

^^^^^
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I’m sorry that your poor education has resulted in critical thinking being a foreign concept to you. It’s a basic tenant of logic that if someone claims that something is “gone” and someone else produces evidence that the subject of discussion is not gone, then the first statement is categorically false.

Likewise, if someone states that the subject of discussion “no longer” exists and someone else produces evidence of its existence, then the first person’s statement is also categorically false.

False information has no place in a technical thread.  It is the responsibility of every thinking, logical, knowledgeable person here to correct such falsehoods.

This is a technichal thread and the only thing that matters here is factual data.  Your feelings on a subject matter are irrelevant. Your failure of logic is irrelevant. The fact that I’ve contributed more first-hand data to this website in a single month than you will in your entire lifetime demonstrates which of us is actually irrelevant here.  

View Quote

In every thread about Colt markings, you just keep posting irrelevant pictures.  

They are technical threads.  Why don't you stop trolling them?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:29:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Raised C are long gone.. 15ish years ago.. modern markings are stamped.
The M4 in front of the receiver is gone as well just like the F on the fsb.

I’d be more focused on the barrel and BCG markings
View Quote

Bolt markings and carrier are hit or miss as well.

What he described is common on maybe 1/3 of the current Comt output.  Be thankful for white T marks and dry film lube. I have seen a few without dry film lube.

My guess is Colt has contracted out a number of suppliers for upper receivers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I just picked up an M4A1 SOCOM model.  The sticker on the box states it was acquired by the original dealer on 12/28/2021 so I take that to mean it is current production.

It has a keyhole upper with no other markings. No C, no cage code, and no m4 above the gas tube hole. It does have the white T-stamps.  The carrier has a very poorly/lightly dot matrix applied c.  The bolt has a very lightly, almost imperceptible, MPC, with only a small curve of the c being visible. It might even be a truck of the eyes and it is only MP marked.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I bought a new in box Colt 6933 EPR upper with BCG and charging handle 6 months ago.  The upper came in a Colt factory box in a sealed bag.  The upper is marked with a Keyhole forging mark with no cage code, or stamped C.  The front of the rail is also not marked M4.  The bolt carrier is marked with a C, the bolt is lightly marked MPC with an A underneath it. The barrel is marked with a cage code and date. There was also the yellow dot paint mark by the gas block.  I have no doubt its a genuine Colt upper, its just a disappointment that the marking consitantcy is not there.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top