User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2020 3:52:55 PM EDT
Which is more reliable?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure...but Glock only made sense to me as I have mostly Glock pistols. Have had zero issues with my 4 PCCs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I think both are very reliable! I'm a Glock guy but I think the Glock mags look funny in a "subgun" Palmetto state armory and Brownells pattern colt mags are awesome and very reliable! Yes they cost a little more But they are metal and just plain look better!
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#3]
glock
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Which is more reliable?
View Quote
Can only give my personal experience.  I have both, and once I got the builds running correctly, they both seem to be equally reliable feeding options.

I can get ASC stainless steel Colt pattern 32 rd. mags for about $16 each from Gunmagwarehouse.  Glock factory 33 rd. mags around $27, on sale with code from Brownells.  Either way, I only load them with 30 each.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#5]
B&T, Glock, then Colt. In that order.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Which is more reliable?
View Quote
Endomag!
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Colt pattern, but that was way before Glock pattern came along. If I have to do it all over again I would go Glock. Colt mags are heavy as hell  when loaded. Especially when you carry a few on you. They  shower the rounds when your drop a loaded mag.

Glock mags just seems more logical now days.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I have used Brownells 32rnd colt mags and all 3 work perfectly. I bought 3 32rnd stag arms mags on sale and they suck. Won’t lock into lower on a closed bolt and malfunction before 5rnds everytime. I have about 1200 rnds through the Brownells colt mags at this point I believe metalform made them but I’m not sure. I prefer colt style mags in an at pistol
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had multiples of both the past 20 years and prefer Glock. I've had too many spring issues with Colt, Metalform and ASC mags.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Scorpion mag pattern...
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Who makes a lower that accepts scorpion mags?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Thread
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m a fan of colts. Have had very few issues with them the past decade with ASC and PSA mags. Some have over a thousands rounds through them and just recently put some wolf extra power springs in them to be sure.

My biggest reasons for not going glock since is dont own glock 9mms and dont like the look of the lowers, at all.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:28:28 PM EDT
[#14]
IMHO, glock is superior.

Mags are easier to find, cheap, reliable and interchange with glock pistols.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:43:57 AM EDT
[#15]
If you think you'll end up going SBR (or getting a real M16 w/ tax stamp) then colt style with mag block so you can use the SBR lower with multiple calibers.

If you are getting it as a PCC for competition, there might be an advantage to using the same mags as your pistol.... Think you can also get lower down prone with a 15rnd pistol mag vs. the stick mag style, if your competition style requires shooting under things, etc.

If you are just getting it as a range toy, when I did the math the "find working mags and good mag block" came out to be more than "buy one of PSAs dirt cheap glock mag lowers and build my own upper".
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:31:10 AM EDT
[#16]
there are apparently glock mag blocks now too. so just to throw a wrench in on the mag block means colt mags thing.

I opted for colt mags because I am cheap and like the lrbho.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
there are apparently glock mag blocks now too. so just to throw a wrench in on the mag block means colt mags thing.

I opted for colt mags because I am cheap and like the lrbho.
View Quote
There are now mag blocks for many of the more current, popular mags. Some with lrbho, some without.  Glock, Colt, Sig, S&W, etc. Stern Defense makes several models with lrbho..
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Can only give my personal experience.  I have both, and once I got the builds running correctly, they both seem to be equally reliable feeding options.

I can get ASC stainless steel Colt pattern 32 rd. mags for about $16 each from Gunmagwarehouse.  Glock factory 33 rd. mags around $27, on sale with code from Brownells.  Either way, I only load them with 30 each.
View Quote
Ditto
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Which is more reliable?
View Quote
Colt is...
Last round bolt open every time.
Look's great too.

Glock has weird gay angle, they used to have problem of no last round hold open.

I own two 9mm AR's Colt style, both are 100% reliable.
I've run many 1000's of rounds thru both, never had any problems.

What ever style you go with, I'd suggest dedicated lower.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Colt is...
Last round bolt open every time.
Look's great too.

Glock has weird gay angle, they used to have problem of no last round hold open.

I own two 9mm AR's Colt style, both are 100% reliable.
I've run many 1000's of rounds thru both, never had any problems.

What ever style you go with, I'd suggest dedicated lower.
View Quote
Amen
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:10:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Which is more reliable?
View Quote
Both are equally reliable (I have a colt pattern 9mm for the record)

Colt patter has last round hold open where Glocks can be hit and miss

Glocks have a weird angle depending on the lower

I can't say about Glock lowers but loading a full mag on a closed bolt with a colt mag is a pain in the ass and the base pad will mangle your hand when you try to slap it home

so it depends on what you want to use the gun for

if its for home defense where if you are shooting more than 32 rounds, max for a standard magazine, then maybe Glock if it loads better
BTW if you are dumping 32 round for a home defense problem you are having a big problem
I have a Colt pattern 9mm PCC and I use it for competition
most stages are less than 32 rounds so reloads are rare
its said if you have to reload in a PCC match you are doing something wrong
also mag extensions for Colt Mags are problematic
Mag extensions for Glocks are almost 100% reliable
but that being said I do wish I went for a Glock style lower
No one really uses a Colt style PCC for competition unless like me its one they had for a while or bought at a time they didn't know
and yes I bought the Colt style because the angle on the mag looked better

BTW in competition if you run to the last round hold open you are also doing something wrong
you plan your stage to top off
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:00:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think both are very reliable! I'm a Glock guy but I think the Glock mags look funny in a "subgun" Palmetto state armory and Brownells pattern colt mags are awesome and very reliable! Yes they cost a little more But they are metal and just plain look better!
View Quote
This.  
Colt pattern. Is much easier to load with a maglula as well.
The only way I’d go Glock pattern is if I had a bunch of magazines for glocks I already own.  I don’t own any glocks, therefor I went Colt pattern.  And as stated above, I think Colt pattern 9mm ARs look cooler.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There are now mag blocks for many of the more current, popular mags. Some with lrbho, some without.  Glock, Colt, Sig, S&W, etc. Stern Defense makes several models with lrbho..
View Quote
True that...great product....but I just hate having the mag release button re-located...
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Whichever you want. If you have a lot of Glawk mags go that way. I like straight look of the Colt style. Metalform and Brownells coated metalform run like a raped ape for me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
PSA and another company called Wraithworks are coming out with one.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Wraithworks are coming out with one.
View Quote
Now that is what the PSA should've/could've been

https://www.recoilweb.com/wraithworks-launches-warscorp9-scorpion-mag-ar-156724.html
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
New Frontier Armory had one at Shot Show.

Youtube vid - go to 2:00 mark
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

New Frontier Armory had one at Shot Show.

Youtube vid - go to 2:00 mark
View Quote
That looks like the PSA, meh.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I built a Glock pattern but I have been thinking about also building a Colt Pattern
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I just bought a Colt style adapter so that I can go old school.

Where can I get an upper with the deflector and half port door?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cmmg, or get a stripper upper and install one yourself

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/ejection-port-cover-parts/ejection-port-covers/ar-15-m16-ejection-port-cover-kit-with-gas-deflector-prod71265.aspx
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#33]
The Colt mag was designed for a machine gun, the angle is correct and a reliable lrbo.
That being said, glock mags are cheaper and come in assorted sizes and can be found in any gun store.
I prefer my Colt but if I owed glocks I might lean the other way.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cmmg, or get a stripper upper and install one yourself

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/ejection-port-cover-parts/ejection-port-covers/ar-15-m16-ejection-port-cover-kit-with-gas-deflector-prod71265.aspx
Cool.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll go with Glock.  Have built two and they work great.  Nice to be able to exchange between my Glock 9mm pistol and AR9s.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top