Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2019 3:25:58 PM EDT
Who does still does good quality work with replica historical Colt engravings?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Ident marking
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#2]
You can also get Colt rollmark stencils from dogfight ink and do electro etching yourself with saltwater, a battery and q tips.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ident marking
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ident marking
Thanks, I called them they won't do the text above the selector. Know anyone who'll do everything?

Quoted:
You can also get Colt rollmark stencils from dogfight ink and do electro etching yourself with saltwater, a battery and a tips.
I think Colts lawyers have been working hard because I don't see it on their site anymore.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Any shop that's set up to do engravings can do one if they have really good photos of an original. Is there any place to look for quality photos?
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Eli,

One needs some files first.

Contact me via email. No, I do not create this, but I got some of the files located and working for use.

Link Posted: 9/16/2019 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks, I called them they won't do the text above the selector. Know anyone who'll do everything?

I think Colts lawyers have been working hard because I don't see it on their site anymore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ident marking

Quoted:
You can also get Colt rollmark stencils from dogfight ink and do electro etching yourself with saltwater, a battery and a tips.
IM sent...
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Those that STILL do it, don’t advertise, or they won’t BE ABLE to still do it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Eli,

One needs some files first.

Contact me via email. No, I do not create this, but I got some of the files located and working for use.

https://i.imgur.com/MjB5e8p.jpg
View Quote
Looks familiar...
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Those that STILL do it, don’t advertise, or they won’t BE ABLE to still do it.
View Quote
^^^This.

PM sent.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks all for the info and IMs, the retro forum remains one of the few subforums here where I learn something new every time I post.

Btw, @17Liberty76, that acid etch looks like a great alternative. Is it easy to get it come out at an even depth?
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Recently had someone local do these. They're a high end shop, but gave them good art, a good template to follow, and I've had a couple other things done by them in the past. Left off the circled R. Can't hurt asking around....but yeah, I don't think people are gonna be advertising doing these....
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been wanting to post some pics of a build I did for myself with Colt markings and the serial number of rifle I was issued and carried in Vietnam. Anymore I am just not sure who may be lurking around so I just keep it in a safe place and take it out when I feel the need to connect with my past.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have been wanting to post some pics of a build I did for myself with Colt markings and the serial number of rifle I was issued and carried in Vietnam. Anymore I am just not sure who may be lurking around so I just keep it in a safe place and take it out when I feel the need to connect with my past.
View Quote
Don't worry about the one you did for yourself.  It ONLY becomes a problem when you (or someone else) does it for PROFIT.  The way I understand it, is that fair use laws allow you to make a copy of anything for YOURSELF without any kind of copyright infringement.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 2:49:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a 604 clone that I would like to have the appropriate “rollmarks” added. Would appreciate a PM.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 4:33:29 AM EDT
[#15]
edit: disregard
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks all for the info and IMs, the retro forum remains one of the few subforums here where I learn something new every time I post.

Btw, @17Liberty76, that acid etch looks like a great alternative. Is it easy to get it come out at an even depth?
View Quote
It’s really easy to do, all you need is a pair of alligator clips, salt water, q tips and battery (they say a 9v will work but I had better luck with a mower battery).  As far as the depth that depends on you and how long you keep the q tip in the same spot, you can practice on a scrap piece of metal to get the hang of it.  There’s videos on YouTube on how to do it just look up “electro etching” it’s probably the least expensive way to do it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/276315/IMG_2695_jpg-1092815.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/276315/IMG_2697_jpg-1092826.JPG

Recently had someone local do these. They're a high end shop, but gave them good art, a good template to follow, and I've had a couple other things done by them in the past. Left off the circled R. Can't hurt asking around....but yeah, I don't think people are gonna be advertising doing these....
View Quote
Those looks FANTASTIC!
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#18]
they all look fantastic and I need 3 of those, so if by chance you make extra   I will see that your get extra$$$$$$

send along a PM
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I have an 80% unfinished lower being returned right now, I will take pictures and post when I get it in the next day or 2. If you like it then I will PM you who did it.

Model 607 with Colt information above selector switch. I opted for my name, city and state on the opposite side of the lower.

I’m pretty excited to see how it turned out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#20]
PM sent
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey guys I'm looking for good vector files for M4LE and /or Commando rollmarks does anyone have anything close to this?

Also, I am used to seeing the files that have a pinkish/purple background. Do y'all know where those might come from?
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I am also interested in the colt roll mark vector files (and any other cool roll marks one might have). Please pm or post in thread if that’s kosher. Thanks.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top