User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Molon:

The Sierra 64 grain Tipped GameKing also looks promising.
View Quote
Quite a secant ogive for a Sierra.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Also check out his Mk262 clone playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9PAV6jx2zM

CD
View Quote

His opinion regarding twist rate is off track IMO. The 20" barrel has a varmint rifle chamber, probably close to SAAMI .223 and that IMO is the reason for the poor performance on target.

I have never seen standard military issue ammo shoot very well. In fact his results using the 18" WOA barrel with the .223 Wylde chamber is about as good as it gets. Obviously Sierra's 77 grain bullet shot very well from two of his uppers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

The 20" barrel has a varmint rifle chamber, probably close to SAAMI .223 and that IMO is the reason for the poor performance on target.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The 20" barrel has a varmint rifle chamber, probably close to SAAMI .223 and that IMO is the reason for the poor performance on target.
https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/complete-uppers/varmint-uppers.html

All Varmint and Predator uppers feature our exclusive .223 WOA Varmint chambering, designed for optimal performance with magazine length loaded ammunition and is capable of shooting both .223 and 5.56.
Sounds similar to the CLE, which I round down to SAAMI .223 the way I round the Wylde up to NATO.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 7:00:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Informative post, thank you
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DougFresh:
Help a new guy, can you buy a rifle built with this barrel from the factory now?
View Quote

If you can find one, the Colt M4A1 SOCOM with the p/w extended flash hider is not an NFA item.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By samuse:
A decade and the man only loses .03 MOA.

Dude is a machine.
View Quote

X2
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice post
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess it's time to grab a 4th SOCOM

I appreciate your content as always Molon, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GHOS7:
I guess it's time to grab a 4th SOCOM
View Quote

You can never be too rich, too thin or have too many SOCOM barrels!
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice to see another post from you sir.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Hopefully my 13629 barrel does well.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Truth! I just got two more from Brownells to mate up with a pair of BCM blem uppers I bought on a whim. Next step is deciding on which FF handguard to use.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:45:33 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Truth!
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Another-Bill:
Thanks again and again for the time you put into your posts for our benefit.
It is very much appreciated.
View Quote

De nada.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone have a guide to interpretation of Colt AR barrel markings?  My 6920 has an R stamped on it at the chamber and no date?
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 1:27:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#16]
Originally Posted By FedDC:
Does anyone have a guide to interpretation of Colt AR barrel markings?  My 6920 has an R stamped on it at the chamber and no date?
View Quote

The "R" supposedly stands for Rosco Manufacturing.  One of my recent A4 barrels has the "R" and the "O" stamps.

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 1:29:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#17]
I believe I read somewhere that the "R" denotes a sub-contracted barrel from Rosco Manufacturing. [Dang -- two seconds!]

I've got a stainless Rosco on a "Retro-ish" carbine and a 20-inch rifle.  They shoot straight, but I've never sat down to shoot them for groups.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks.  

I just wondered as my prior Colts all had a date code stamped there, not a letter.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 1:48:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Thank you for posting. You are appreciated!
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 10:44:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#20]
I just wondered as my prior Colts all had a date code stamped there, not a letter.
View Quote

Historically, Colt barrels have had the date code stamped just aft of the handguard retainer.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
I believe I read somewhere that the "R" denotes a sub-contracted barrel from Rosco Manufacturing. [Dang -- two seconds!]

I've got a stainless Rosco on a "Retro-ish" carbine and a 20-inch rifle.  They shoot straight, but I've never sat down to shoot them for groups.
View Quote

My latest A4 has the "R" and the "O" stamp.  The "O" is faint, but it's there.

Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Ballistic Advantage 14.5 FSP carbine barrel in gov profile i was planning on using for my carbine build, but now i'm considering using a socom barrel instead. Higher cost and weight, but apparently better performance.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:37:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#23]
View Quote

Rosco.

Edit: Already discussed. My bad.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Great info as always Molon.  I have a SOCOM barrel in an upper that I built back in 2016 while I was stationed at Ft. Campbell that I shaved the FSB and wrapped with a DD RIS II.  It's a heavy girl, but she's a sexy thick! It's one of the few barrels that I have kept this long as it is one of the most accurate ones that I have.  With a 2-10x scope and Hornady 75gr HPBT I have been able to hit steel silhouettes out to 750 meters. I want another one to use with a lighter weight MLOK handguard, but they are getting harder to find. Aside from cloners and some AR afficionados, the Colt SOCOM barrel went unnoticed or was disregarded, my opinion, for lighter weight and slimmer profile barrels. But, I have had a lot of those other barrels and have not witnessed the accuracy or reliability that is found in the Colt barrel that I have, which is why I want another one.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 9:23:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Do they make a mid length SOCOM Barrel ?
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Harv24:
View Quote

In for an answer on this.

I’m looking at a block ii/urgi ish build.. and being how the Socoms are hard to find and carbine length I’ve been thinking of the hybrid criterion 14.5 mid length as an alternative.

I do have a FbI colt 11.5 I had cut to 10.3 for my mk18 and it’s a hammer.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

At this time, I would guess that the answer is no. Does the .mil use mid-length barrels? That would probably be the
driving force behind making them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Colt does not.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 1:43:36 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Won't techincally be a SOCOM barrel then since those are all carbine gas.  Now the URGI comes with a mid length gas but Govt Profile made by DD.

CD
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 2:03:24 AM EDT
[#30]

If you can find one, the Colt M4A1 SOCOM with the p/w extended flash hider is not an NFA item.
View Quote
May have some luck at SAW - Specialized Armament Warehouse
It's where I got mine.

Quite unique in that, the owner has his own flash-hider pinned and welded to a cut barrel in order to make it of the proper federal-legal length.

Here's my non-NFA item, SOCOM barreled M4A1 from Specialized Armament. One of my better (Colt) rifles.

PS this thread is ARFCOM cream - delivering classic satisfaction with quality and reliability

Colt M4A1 by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 5:59:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#31]
Originally Posted By jmh556:
Great info as always Molon.  I have a SOCOM barrel in an upper that I built back in 2016 while I was stationed at Ft. Campbell that I shaved the FSB and wrapped with a DD RIS II.  It's a heavy girl, but she's a sexy thick! It's one of the few barrels that I have kept this long as it is one of the most accurate ones that I have.  With a 2-10x scope and Hornady 75gr HPBT I have been able to hit steel silhouettes out to 750 meters. I want another one to use with a lighter weight MLOK handguard, but they are getting harder to find. Aside from cloners and some AR afficionados, the Colt SOCOM barrel went unnoticed or was disregarded, my opinion, for lighter weight and slimmer profile barrels. But, I have had a lot of those other barrels and have not witnessed the accuracy or reliability that is found in the Colt barrel that I have, which is why I want another one.
View Quote

The only chrome-lined, NATO chambered barrel that I've tested that was more accurate than the Colt SOCOM, is the 16" HBAR found on the Colt 6721.

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:

PS this thread is ARFCOM cream - delivering classic satisfaction with quality and reliability

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48105739863_963f37e703_k.jpgColt M4A1 by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote

Nice pic!
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm a huge huge believer in the SOCOM barrel.

I bought 4 of them at the SAR show that were literally brand new in the bag for about $200 each. They were all various codes from my youngest being 05 and 03 and latest is 09 and 12

They were cheap because they weren't pinned and welded. I was laughed at for SBRing it because of 1.5 inches.. but I didn't care.......

I did well at PR with it.

thank you for vilifying and praising the M4A1 SOCOM barrels.

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Jozsi:

I bought 4 of them at the SAR show that were literally brand new in the bag for about $200 each. They were all various codes from my youngest being 05 and 03 and latest is 09 and 12

They were cheap because they weren't pinned and welded. I was laughed at for SBRing it because of 1.5 inches.. but I didn't care.......

View Quote

Honestly if I ever shoot one of my 14.5s out it's getting replaced with a socom. I will be on the lookout if a batch ever pops up at a decent price.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By jkitchen:

Honestly if I ever shoot one of my 14.5s out it's getting replaced with a socom. I will be on the lookout if a batch ever pops up at a decent price.
View All Quotes

the guy that had it at the SAR show was kinda douchy to the point of asking for SBR papers and then finally selling it to me but wanted cash as he wasn't responsible if I built an illegal SBR.

I have 1 M4A1 and M4 carbine marked SBR's and the others are my Noveske N4 and my RR AR15 Oly/SGW.

The next year, he had more barrels including 20 inch A2's and other stuff and I showed him my papers.

He wandered off from his table......saying...... I DON'T want to see that....as he was embarrassed to admit that he asked for papers to sell it.

Others surrounding him at his table section was shaking their head.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#36]

the guy that had it at the SAR show was kinda douchy to the point of asking for SBR papers and then finally selling it to me but wanted cash as he wasn't responsible if I built an illegal SBR.

I have 1 M4A1 and M4 carbine marked SBR's and the others are my Noveske N4 and my RR AR15 Oly/SGW.

The next year, he had more barrels including 20 inch A2's and other stuff and I showed him my papers.

He wandered off from his table......saying...... I DON'T want to see that....as he was embarrassed to admit that he asked for papers to sell it.

View All Quotes

That is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Alaska511:

That is ridiculous.
View Quote

Absolutely

I don't mind people giving me the nfa warning when purchasing parts because most people aren't aware but other than that it's not his responsibility to worry about how one plan's to build it up.

A simple "this needs to be a pistol or pinned to 16 unless you are doing the nfa paper work to be legal" disclaimer is about all that he should be saying.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#38]
(Looks at the RRA R-4 barrel and wonders....)
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:
May have some luck at SAW - Specialized Armament Warehouse
It's where I got mine.

Quite unique in that, the owner has his own flash-hider pinned and welded to a cut barrel in order to make it of the proper federal-legal length.

Here's my non-NFA item, SOCOM barreled M4A1 from Specialized Armament. One of my better (Colt) rifles.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48105739863_963f37e703_k.jpgColt M4A1 by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote

Beautiful rifle.  Classic GWOT
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#40]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/sierra_64_grain_tipped_gameking_003-1915077.jpg

Ballistic coefficients:

>  .323 @ 1900 fps and above

>  .305 between 1500 and 1900 fps

>  .270 @ 1500 fps and below

View All Quotes
I wish I could find some to compare how they fly against M855A1.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/sierra_64_grain_tipped_gameking_003-1915077.jpg

Ballistic coefficients:

Coming 2nd quarter 2022 . . .

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#41]

https://i.ibb.co/WpwhkbY/sierra-31-grain-tipped-game-king-ammunition-001.jpg

View All Quotes
I wish I could find some to compare how they fly against M855A1.

Ballistic coefficients:

https://i.ibb.co/WpwhkbY/sierra-31-grain-tipped-game-king-ammunition-001.jpg

Nice!!

We need more options for medium game hunting in the 45-50gr range for us 22-250 / 220 swift buffs.  The 50gr NBT’s work well enough for now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#42]
about to put some black hills 62g tsx through mine.. bought 500 at the LGS at 1.05 per round, will report. in a couple of weeks. I'm not as high speed as Molon, nor do i have the shooting skills I possessed 10 years ago in the army.. but I'm still an MOA shooter.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#43]
His opinion regarding twist rate is off track IMO.
View Quote

Yup.  A 1:8" twist is fine for M855A1 at normal temperatures.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:43:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Another-Bill] [#44]

View All Quotes

As we all know the 855 is a 62 grain bullet.

Back when I shot Service Rifle I bought a Compass Lake upper with a Krieger barrel, it had a 1/7.75 twist.  That is a mere ¼" from a 1/8 twist.
It was fine for the Black Hills 75 grain Hornadys I shot, I believe they advise that it is also good for the 77 grain Sierras as well.

A 1/9 is not a cliff that bullets heaver than 55 grains fall off, I would expect a 75 grain would shoot well out of a 1/9.
Next time I'm at the range I'll shoot some of my Black Hills 75 grains out of my Remington M700 .223 in 1/9 to see.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:42:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#45]

View All Quotes

As you apparently don't know, gyroscopic stability is based on bullet length, not bullet weight.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:39:25 AM EDT
[#46]

The "R" supposedly stands for Rosco Manufacturing.  One of my recent A4 barrels has the "R" and the "O" stamps.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/colt_ar_barrel_chamber_stamp_001-2104850.jpg

View Quote

I had originally thought it stood for remington since I saw a bunch of those barrels being made and sold. Mine has R on it.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#47]

As you apparently don't know, gyroscopic stability is based on bullet length, not bullet weight.

View All Quotes

And you are correct, I did not remember that, thanks for reminding me. Nonetheless, that 1/7.75 Krieger barrel was stellar with heavy bullets.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Nonetheless, that 1/7.75 Krieger barrel was stellar with heavy bullets.
View All Quotes

Nonetheless, that 1/7.75 Krieger barrel was stellar with heavy bullets.

Which has nothing to do with M855A1.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:02:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Strikefirst] [#49]
I was able to pick up a cage cooked p&w zero round count, take-off pre panic.

If I'd have known how much I would like the barrel I'd of grabbed one for my sbr lower and molon'd it!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#50]
OP always enjoy your posts, thank you.  Gem of the site
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top