Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2019 9:55:43 PM EDT
So what is different about the Expanse model and the rest of the Carbines? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Medium profile, non CLd bbl
Thin, flexible gas tube
Shitty single heat shield handguards
View Quote
You made me investigate the gas tube thing...

Measured and compared (one of them anyway) mine to known good gas tubes and noticed no meaningful difference at all. Found a thread here about it and noticed that the guy complaining gave no numbers / sizes at all for what he claimed was a 'thin' tube. No OD or ID given at all in that thread... Just complaining.

Not buying that story personally without some specs / data to back up those claims.

Did notice a 'G' marking on the barrels near the chamber that I had not noticed before. (Mark is almost directly under the gas tube and hard to spot)
Pretty sure that means Green Mountain made it. That is a good thing in my opinion... Absolutely love those particular Expanse barrels.

I looked at the Green Mountain website last night and could not find that exact barrel listed for sale or any mention of it anywhere so I am 'guessing' that it is something they made for Colt to whatever specs Colt gave them?

Those single shield, slim hand guards are 100% Colt parts. Colt 'Carbine' Hand Guards to be exact. Love the feel compared to the M4 fat oval type so... Bought a small pile of them to replace the OEM stuff on other Colts with. For me and for range use they just feel better in my hand.

Have not tried to melt a set yet and have no idea how much it would cost in ammo to do it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I would like to know more about the gas tubes. I have Colt  and non Colt tubes and can’t tell any difference but have always wondered.   Shark Arms claims the Colts are thicker but sure would be nice to be able to actually test them in some way.

I’m sure C just buys them from some one anyway.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:37:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Certified Colt Armorer told me  not to worry about changing my gas tube.

Did change to mag catch, pistol grip, buffer, spring, & stock to Colt.

Put an existing Colt M4 upper on; Expanse M4A1 upper on another lower.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:40:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, yeah, also changed to selector to a Colt ambi; have a lefty in my home.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top