Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/5/2021 11:15:21 PM EDT
So at a gun shop local to me they had a tub marked surplus, I dug through while waiting for some help and found some 20rd mags in the bottom of the box, the counter guy told me he'd sell them to me at $4 a piece and I went for it. I gave one to a buddy building a retro rifle and another to a friend who wanted one.

Other than the followers being aluminum and a steel strip riveted to the front of the mag, I don't know much about them, or if they are even real Colt mags. I tried to match them to some crappy pictures on an old website, but wasn't really able to figure it out. Additionally one of the mags is marked Adventurer Line MFG, who I know made mags at some point, but once again I am not familiar enough to know if it's real or not.

As far as mags go they feed just fine so if they are fake I'm not worried, but I don't want to use them as range mags if they are in any way special.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Adventure Line mag is on the left, the finish almost looks painted on compared to the Colt mags.

I am well aware that these are probably nothing special, I just wanted to know a little more about them.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 8:14:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Old metal follower 20 round GI mags are the best mags.

While not rare, they are not as common as in the past.

20 rounds tends to be superior to 30 rounds for precision prone shooting.

Link Posted: 11/6/2021 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#2]
For a disposable mag they last a surprisingly long time.

They’re legit.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They’re legit.
View Quote

There is Iron in his words.   Mine look far worse than the OP got,
and they just work.   Didn’t think they were particularly rare.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#4]
The Adventure Line mags are GTG. Before P-Mags were a thing the late Peter Kokalis recommended Adventure Lines.

I've got a NIB set of 7 marked 1970 somewhere in my stash. With so many other mags I've never been able to force myself to use them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I paid $4.00 each for new Colt 20 round magazines in 1981. They still work after forty years of regular service. They were sold as contract over run Air Force magazines. Metal followers.

I should have bought hundreds..............
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Adventure Line went out of business in 1975 so they are great for ban states that require pre-ban mags.

I had 7 30 rounders from my time in the Marines that I sold to a guy in a ban state a year or so ago.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Many years ago a local dealer had 5 bundles taped together for $6. This was in 1991.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#9]
For $4 apiece I'd have bought every one he had. I wouldn't expect them to bring much outside of a ban state (or even in one. I'm in Colorado, aka new california). 20 round metal mags for 4 bucks though... I'd be all over that shit.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought shit loads of 20rd M16 mags at pawn shops off of Ft Bragg back in the '80s. Paid a dollar a piece for them. Probably have 40-50 of them. A lot of them are Adventure Line , Colt and LaBelle.

The finish on them was mostly gone. I powder coated them black or OD when I worked at Barrett. They load and unload by hand very easily with the coating.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I still have about 100 old 20 rd mags left.  I still take several 20s down range every year as they have their pros.  Works inside a M1950 weapons case so all you have to do is chamber a round after jumping.  30s don't fit and if jumping it exposed its all taped secured.  Easier in and out of armored vehicles.  Great when swimming, lower prone position and looks perfect in a Mk18 Mod 0.  All reloads are then 30s.

Attachment Attached File

Use them hunting also but not required in NC (no mag limit, just no full auto)
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They’re legit.
View Quote

Agreed.

My first AR15 magazine was a Colt marked aluminum follower 20rdr.

I still use that mag for my sight-in / bench shooting.  I bought it in 1984 (38 years ago).  I'm still on the original spring.  I'm guessing that mag has seen 10,000 rounds, and was far from new when I received it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 6:09:37 AM EDT
[#13]
My ex's kid brought me back a co!t 20rnd taken from an Iraqi prisoner, surprised its in good shape.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My ex's kid brought me back a co!t 20rnd taken from an Iraqi prisoner, surprised its in good shape.
View Quote

That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Can anyone here help w/ pricing on some 20rd. Colts? I have 3 boxes dated 7/70 & marked w/ NSN #'s, each box has 7 Colt 20's NIB/unfired, what's the fair market value for each box?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#16]
30-35 for Colt NIB 20-round mags
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
30-35 for Colt NIB 20-round mags
View Quote

TY much W_E_G & I trust that's per mag so I can do the math on my boxes containing 7 in each.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I paid $4.00 each for new Colt 20 round magazines in 1981. They still work after forty years of regular service. They were sold as contract over run Air Force magazines. Metal followers.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top