Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2018 12:47:31 AM EDT
Hello gents, I am now the proud owner of a Colt 9mm AR. If I may pick you brains, I have some questions about some possibly incorrect parts that may have been installed since this thing's birth. It is my intention to return this gun to its original configuration. It seems to me to maybe be an odd mixture of old and new features; perhaps you can guide me on this......

It has some components that seem to me to be old such as:
-A1 flash hider
-skinny barrel without M4 cut
-fixed handle with A1 rear sights
-2 position plastic stock without waffle pattern

However, I am seeing some stuff that looks new to me:
-A2 grip
-hand guard that has an oval cross section rather than round, also has 15 ribs on it instead of 11

Serial is TA12XXX if that helps. What say you, do I have a Mix Master? Any idea how old this thing is?

TIA
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

-A1 flash hider
-A2 grip
-hand guard that has an oval cross section rather than round, also has 15 ribs on it instead of 11
View Quote
Sounds all correct for a Colt 635, except that it has M4 HGs.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hello gents, I am now the proud owner of a Colt 9mm AR. If I may pick you brains, I have some questions about some possibly incorrect parts that may have been installed since this thing's birth. It is my intention to return this gun to its original configuration. It seems to me to maybe be an odd mixture of old and new features; perhaps you can guide me on this......

It has some components that seem to me to be old such as:
-A1 flash hider

However, I am seeing some stuff that looks new to me:
-A2 grip

Serial is TA12XXX if that helps. What say you, do I have a Mix Master? Any idea how old this thing is?

TIA
View Quote
Sounds like all the right parts with the possible exception of the handguards. Get some skinnies and call it a day. The A2 pistol grip is correct, but I put an A1 on mine anyway.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. The colt serial lookup doesn't show my # but I did see a list elsewhere that if I read correctly says that the preban stuff ended with a TA10k #. I assume that would make mine possibly late 90s?

Gonna get a ragler ol M4 handguard and shoot her, can't wait to take her out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is my Colt 9MM carbine 100% Colt.

Does it look like this? other then your handguards.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is my Colt 9MM carbine 100% Colt.

Does it look like this? other then your handguards.
View Quote
Hi, sorry I didn't catch your reply sooner. My pistol grip is different, it's the style that has the protrusion between your middle and ring fingers, I believe it's considered the "A2" style. There is also a round thing going on on the lower just above the round part of the selector. It appears to me to be some sort of big pin holding in some block-looking thing above and behind the FCG guts. Perhaps mine is later than yours or something.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:28:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I say yours is almost 100% Colt also. Colt 9mm carbines had quite a few different configurations with in the same model numbers. It's almost like what ever they had laying around they threw on to the 9mm pile of parts.

Can you post any pictures of it so we can see what you have for sure?

As for the block /pin thingy you are seeing behind your FCG. That's a search block. Colt installed those so you can NOT put full auto parts into the lower. I think it was a law suite deal. Because Colts the only one that ever did it.

And actually that picture I posted has the wrong lower on it. The picture shows an Anderson lower on my Colt upper. But I have the correct lower on it now just  dont have a  picture of it.

Try searching Google for Colt 6450  that's the model number of your rifle.

Does it look like this?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#8]
It's almost like what ever they had laying around they threw on to the 9mm pile of parts.

Colt is notorious for that.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:22:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does it look like this?
View Quote
Yup, that's my gun with the exception of no writing on the r/h side magwell plus mine has the aforementioned search block doohickey.

Speaking of, you wouldn't happen to know when Colt started putting these search blocks in, would you? This might give me a clue as to when this thing was made. When I bought it I was thinking it was an 80s gun so I could relive my teenage action movie fantasies, but I suppose it's probably later than that.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#10]
The sear blocks showed up around 1990. Colt decided to self-neuter their rifles, almost into ban-era configuration, before the 1994 AWB. Sear block, shaved off the bayonet lug and mags blocked to 5 or 10 rounds.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top