BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/26/2019 1:51:20 PM EDT
Magpul version or basic? 60$ difference but the magpul version requires me to drive an hour away to pick up.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The Magpul furniture is worth the extra money.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Make the drive, the Magpul is worth it
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I would rather have the magpul version.

Though if you are already planning on changing stuff, go with the cheaper one imo.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would rather have the magpul version.

Though if you are already planning on changing stuff, go with the cheaper one imo.
View Quote
This..... A lot of people ditch the hand guards and put free float rail on.  Also personally I am not a fan of the standard angle grips I prefer the steeper angle.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I was gonna change guards to quad anyways. No other difference except the stock. I’ll go get eyes on the regular version. Anything I should be looking out for? I have not owned one since military days. I mostly own spikes and psa.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was gonna change guards to quad anyways. No other difference except the stock. I’ll go get eyes on the regular version. Anything I should be looking out for? I have not owned one since military days. I mostly own spikes and psa.
View Quote
Get the standard and sell the factory furniture. People pay a premium for Colt stuff
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#8]
What do you like? It can be little more than a math problem. A Magpul carbine handguard is around $25. The grip is around $15. The stock is about $35. It is only $75 worth of stuff. 2 hour drive and gas? Nothing says you have to replace it all...or any of it. I like a mil-spec stock you might not want to change it at all. When I picked up my 6920 it came without a stock, I went looking for a cage code mil-spec. My favorite stock is the MFT Minimalist. I don't hate the grip, however I do like the Magpul grips better. I would change out the handguard right away. The point is, you might not want all Magpul stuff. Do the math. Go from there.

Good luck. Enjoy the new gun
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Same AS HERE with the exception of the barrel length.
View Quote
Buying from local gun store so I’ll see if I can check it all out first.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I will not buy a Colt that I cannot hold in my hands prior.
View Quote
Oh that’s absolutely correct.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get the standard and sell the factory furniture. People pay a premium for Colt stuff
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this right here
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I will not buy a Colt that I cannot hold in my hands prior.
View Quote
What are you checking for? Are there known QC issues with 6920's?
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I must be the odd man out. I sold all the magpul stuff and returned mine back to stock including the carry handle
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

JLAudio covered it well in the link above:

"C marking or cage code (13629) on upper 
C marking or cage code (13629) on barrel, date marking is behind the fsp, W or O marking near the chamber 
C stamped bolt carrier, MPC marked bolt, normal phosphate coating 
M4 Carbine on Lower, CR or LE starting the serial number 
4 position buffer tube, i would check to see if there is a factory stake on the castle nut 
H or H2 marked buffer 
C/S marked fire control group, but not always 
Regular mil spec trigger guard 

if its late 2018/early 2019 there may or may not be the above mentioned markings, colt has been inconsistent in markings since like...always. but if it checks most of the above its likely GTG"
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#18]
So on the mag well it should say LE? And have a C near FSP and rear of upper?
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I must be the odd man out. I sold all the magpul stuff and returned mine back to stock including the carry handle
https://i.ibb.co/wRMNxLq/C246-F04-C-50-A0-4754-B4-C8-BF38-ECAB7-C43.jpg
View Quote
Same.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#20]
If it’s truly a LE 6920 I would go for the factory furniture, imo it’s worth more than the Magpul
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#21]
The serial number should start with LE if it’s a LE6920. Some say they went away with the LE on them now.
Mines only couple months old but box says 2013 configuration. Also mine was a OEM-1 but the company I bought it from put the magpul stuff on it. Mine serial starts with LE
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I got the magpul version but ended up getting rid of all of it lol.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I actually have the Pin coming to put the swivel back on. Took it off when I had a light on the handguard. I have a colt teardrop forward assist coming as well. Always did like those.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Not much info was given, but it could also have an SP prefix, from the SP6920.

Unlikey, unless a customer sold it/brought it in on a trade.

Link Posted: 6/26/2019 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://i.ibb.co/wRMNxLq/C246-F04-C-50-A0-4754-B4-C8-BF38-ECAB7-C43.jpg
View Quote
Nothing wrong with stock Colt parts. I like the "classic" .mil look.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Uhhhhh, I want that. I've not seen an SP6920.
View Quote
I'm not sure how long those were in production before they dropped the SP prefix with the M4 Carbine rollmark and went with the LE prefix with the M4 Carbine rollmark.

They also made the SP6920 with this rollmark. I believe the "Sporter" rollmark was only in production for a year. I think it had something to do with California and their roster. I'm not up on the history, but it's documented on this forum.

** photo cred to Alpha-Romeo3
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#31]
My dad has an LE 6920

It has M4 Carbine on lower and starts with LE prefix

It has everything C marked in right spots, correct paint blobs on BCG and barrel. It is definitely, without a doubt, 100% colt. He did buy it about 5 years ago, so that is why everything has C mark and is all Colt. Shoots really well and just a great rifle. He put a Nikon scope on it, but I will get him to get a carry handle on it one day
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Well I’m on fence. I know if I go to GTdistributers in Austin I’ll get a 100% colt. I don’t want magpul furniture but I’ll get a slightly better price with them as opposed to the regular colt at the local gun store. There I’ll have to break it down and check the markings. GTs I can do the same but I trust them as I’ve bought a few guns from them. I don’t want the magpul stuff but I can live with it. I do like the magpul stock. Local store wants 1059 for regular Colt 6920.  Granted I’ll get 10% off of that price.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well I’m on fence. I know if I go to GTdistributers in Austin I’ll get a 100% colt. I don’t want magpul furniture but I’ll get a slightly better price with them as opposed to the regular colt at the local gun store. There I’ll have to break it down and check the markings. GTs I can do the same but I trust them as I’ve bought a few guns from them. I don’t want the magpul stuff but I can live with it. I do like the magpul stock. Local store wants 1059 for regular Colt 6920.  Granted I’ll get 10% off of that price.
View Quote
Granted, I am a dealer, so I get good deals on stuff I know is Colt, but Arms Unlimited has decent deals on Colt rifles and I trust them 100%. They know their Colt. I get all my Colt stuff from them, personal and for customers.

LE 6920

Magpul 6920
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice and I appreciate the help. I would rather see them in person though as opposed to ordering. I’ll consider that route if I can’t find one though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If it’s truly a LE 6920 I would go for the factory furniture, imo it’s worth more than the Magpul
View Quote
+1 No question. Factory Colt furniture is the only way to go.  Get the all Colt 6920 and KEEP the original Colt furniture even if you want to swap to something else.  Later when you change your mind, and you will, you can return the rifle to original Colt.  Ten years from now the all Colt rifle will be more valuable.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Nice and I appreciate the help. I would rather see them in person though as opposed to ordering. I’ll consider that route if I can’t find one though.
View Quote
You can call them and they will confirm every colt marking on it down to the M4 stamped on the front of the receiver. They actually know colt and specialize it. Even a lot of knowledge guys at gun stores know of Colt, but can’t rattle off the appropriate markings and know difference in models and specs. It is a niche. Arms Unlimited guys have probably forgot more about Colt stuff than I know and I have Chris’s book. I wouldn’t suggest them if I didn’t have full confidence in them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You can call them and they will confirm every colt marking on it down to the M4 stamped on the front of the receiver. They actually know colt and specialize it. Even a lot of knowledge guys at gun stores know of Colt, but can’t rattle off the appropriate markings and know difference in models and specs. It is a niche. Arms Unlimited guys have probably forgot more about Colt stuff than I know and I have Chris’s book. I wouldn’t suggest them if I didn’t have full confidence in them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arms Unlimited is my Colt go to people
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Depends on what you're going to do with it. When I buy a 6920, I immediately install aftermarket stuff (a rail of some sort and a sopmod stock). If you intend to do that, get whatever is cheapest. If you like magpul furniture, get the magpul.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Yea may have to order after all. None in stock at GTs. There’s another local shop but it’s non LE roll mark
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#41]
If you get the Magpul version you can always buy the Colt furniture later.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

All new production 6920s are CR prefix now.

Eta: I believe all Colt lowers are.
View Quote
Hmm ok so I may roll out to  see what what’s out there then.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Honestly, I think the 6920HPBW or the 6720 are the ones to get over the standard 6920. I personally like the MOE SL stock and grip much better than the A2 and waffle stock. If you prefer the Colt stuff then go that direction. Just know that I have a full set of Colt take-offs sitting in a box in my closet if you need them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Managed to find the 6920 regular version LE marked. Gun store let me take it apart at counter. No magpul versions but  I have my own rails to put on it. I’ll roll with a magpul stock later.

Eta I’ll send pics in a bit. Ty all for he help/advice
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Eta: I believe all Colt lowers are.
View Quote
No, the AR15A4's and AR15A4 Lightweights are marked with prefix "CAR" and AR15 9MM Carbines are marked "LTA".
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why not get a Colt OEM-1 or OEM-2 if you want to select the furniture?
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Arms Unlimited is my Colt go to people
View Quote
Last November I bought two Colt OEM-2 for $605 each. Stole 'em.

(Not a typo from $650 as shown here.)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top