Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2021 11:07:11 AM EDT
Are those ban era colt ar15 collectable?
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#1]
not really. Just good rifles. they actually left the markings on quite a few even after the ban expired.

Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#2]
People seemingly pay more for the "Restricted" marked lowers but a pre-ban one will always be worth more in the long-run

I paid $1100 for this last month.  It languished on the shelf at my LGS because it was purplish and the CH had been trimmed for an optic (still not sure which one).   It has shiny handguards and an N1 stock so its way cool in my book.  It is worth more in parts but since I have a 6720, I needed a 6520 as well.

Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#3]
This is what I have in my notes referencing ‘Restricted’. Not my words and I can’t remember where I gleamed it from. Odds are it was info I saved from ARF.

COLT Restricted Rollmark.....

The last year the model LE6920 was marked with LE restricted markings with "Colt's Law Enforcement Carbine" markings was in 2010.

By 2011 the factory changed the roll markings and model to SP6920 and new marked "Sporter M4 Carbine", no caliber and no LE restricted markings (I have this one too).

In the next year 2012 the markings got changed again to "M4 Carbine" with CAL. 5.556 MM, still no LE restricted markings.

The last 100 production units they sold with factory papers authenticating they were made as the last 100 units with the LE restricted markings, not sure exactly when but probably between around 2011 to 2013.

- [ ] At the very end of 2013 the factory released some remaining 105 units with LE restricted markings without factory paperwork, the serial numbers range from LE 95XXX to 96XXX, but those were snapped up by most people in the industry and gun collectors.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are those ban era colt ar15 collectable?
View Quote

They are ‘to me’. I wanted to start collecting when the AWB was lifted. There were and still are more interesting and desirable Colt’s available but the price to play in that Market ‘Green Box’ as I call it was more than I could invest if I wanted more than two to three collectible’s.

So over the years I had a goal of acquiring at least one model of the ‘restricted’. Of course that led to special runs and allot of other Colt Fever acquisitions. So i would describe the ‘Restricted’ models as;

LE serial numbers are desirable. The reasons are different and debatable but they sell for more than an identical SP model.

The restricted stamping was no longer available, at  which point quite naturally folks ‘want what they can’t get’ and this allowed  a ‘poor man’s’ entry into the Colt collectible world.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Judging on the asking prices on GB, one would think they are not only collectable, but made of gold.
I'm glad I got a few of them when I did, before the scalpers got them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People seemingly pay more for the "Restricted" marked lowers but a pre-ban one will always be worth more in the long-run

I paid $1100 for this last month.  It languished on the shelf at my LGS because it was purplish and the CH had been trimmed for an optic (still not sure which one).   It has shiny handguards and an N1 stock so its way cool in my book.  It is worth more in parts but since I have a 6720, I needed a 6520 as well.

https://i.imgur.com/y60kVuSh.png

https://i.imgur.com/Xishbwmh.png
View Quote

That thing is beautiful omfg
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Are there known ways to decode the serial number like with colt 1911's?

Also, what's the L stand for in LGC. I know GC is government Carbine. Assuming since i have a pencil barrel that the L is light?

This has been a bucket list rifle for me and my first factory rifle as well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven’t spent much time there in a few years but I still find helpful info.
I’m not sure about hotlinking so here a decipherable pic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Also, what's the L stand for in LGC. I know GC is government Carbine. Assuming since i have a pencil barrel that the L is light?

View Quote
I'm pretty sure the L prefix started as a way to identify ban-era law enforcement rifles with the 'evil' features. My ban-era LE Competition HBAR (which is the opposite of light) has a flash suppressor, bayonet lug and restricted markings with an L prefix, while the equivalent model at the time available to non-LE customers only had CH at the start of the serial number (and no AR-15 marking either).

Link Posted: 12/29/2021 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure the L prefix started as a way to identify ban-era law enforcement rifles with the 'evil' features. My ban-era LE Competition HBAR (which is the opposite of light) has a flash suppressor, bayonet lug and restricted markings with an L prefix, while the equivalent model at the time available to non-LE customers only had CH at the start of the serial number (and no AR-15 marking either).

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/622/left-806332.jpg
View Quote

That makes a ton of sense!!

20211227_162911 by brandon hobock, on Flickr" />

Mine has the evil features as well. Its also set up for the mil-spec spring and detent for the pivot pin, but runs the screw type.

Wonder what year it might be.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#11]
edit- Off topic derail, apologies.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Off topic but of interest to Colt history buffs.

I’m sure 87% already know and reference this resource but for any gunnuts new to the world of Colt research, I find the following site helpful.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467962/61A8037B-8AD8-44DC-874D-9091BE08C006_jpe-2220625.JPG
View Quote

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Thought you guys may find this informative.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/y60kVuSh.png

https://i.imgur.com/Xishbwmh.png
View Quote

@PGT_0673

Pretty sure that’s my old rifle…or at least one of the same police surplus run. They were $550 on GB years back. Had a sticker on the stock…something like “FLT xxx” with the X’s being numbers. It’s rack wear on the carry handle. When I got mine it was shiny and I hit it with some alumablack. I’d have to find pictures to get the SN.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/29/2021 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Some info I found one line:

The law enforcement series model AR6520 was made during the early assault weapons ban (1994 - 2004) and the serial number they added the prefix letter of L (for law enforcement) to the original GC prefix serial number of the original R6520 preban model, the restricted LE/ Gov't markings are on the right side of the magwells, the fence around the magazine release button was added and reinforcement at the rear of the lower receivers so it is an A2 type lowers, it doesn't have any sear blocks on the lower receivers, the early post ban models you shown have the early CAR Fiberlite type 1 synthetic collapsible buttstock, but by after 2003 they changed it to the current modern M4 style type 2 waffle stocks.

This law enforcement model AR6520 was announced by Colt to be discontinued back in 2011, and I had seen the 2011 Colt's Law Enforcement catalog and it was not in there, early models before mid 2009 had the large 0.170 hammer and trigger pins, after mid 2009 the noted pins were changed to the mil-spec small standard 0.154" dia.

The AR6520 was replaced by a flattop upper receiver version model AR6720 "AR-15A4 Lightweight LE Carbine" in 2010, the first flattop version was sold by Clyde Armory, GA.

Here's how the old AR6520 A2 Gov't carbine compares to the newer LE6920, the old carbine have a fixed carry A2 type handle which are not good in mounting any optics, the old carbine have thinner profile barrel in front of the front sight and are more prone to bending due to misuse or accidents when users fall down.

Earlier old carbines have semi auto bolt carriers before 2005 but it was changed to M16 full auto carriers on 2005, full auto carriers are more reliable than semi auto carriers because it slows down the bolt cycle allowing the pressure to be less before the bolt disengages and cycles backwards.

Early old carbines had standard non reversible selectors, they started to have reversible selectors around 2006 (or earlier), the current M4 type 2 waffle buttstocks are stronger and larger, more comfortable to shoot than the older CAR Fiberlite type 1 stocks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's a few of mine, one I had SBR'ed and another I had JT at RAW cut the barrel down to 14.7 and pin the F/H:

" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Some info I found one line:

View Quote

“I know a guy” who has one of the 6720’s that he purchased from Clyde’s”
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a used one a few years back for $600 and have thought about flipping it considering the prices on GB.

It's still in the safe.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@PGT_0673

Pretty sure that’s my old rifle…or at least one of the same police surplus run. They were $550 on GB years back. Had a sticker on the stock…something like “FLT xxx” with the X’s being numbers. It’s rack wear on the carry handle. When I got mine it was shiny and I hit it with some alumablack. I’d have to find pictures to get the SN.

View Quote

Interesting.  That certainly makes more sense than purposefully doing it for an optics mount.   Any ideas why it's unevenly worn if from a rack?  Putting it in on an angle maybe?  And by rack wear, assume from a vehicle mount or armory rack?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Interesting.  That certainly makes more sense than purposefully doing it for an optics mount.   Any ideas why it's unevenly worn if from a rack?  Putting it in on an angle maybe?  And by rack wear, assume from a vehicle mount or armory rack?
View Quote

Vehicle rack. I believe someone said they can from Florida State Police/Hiway Patrol or something to that effect. I bought it for truck gun purposes when I was living in AZ and TX. Always used my more capable 6920 with ACOG and WML instead, and have one of the rarer 6720 variants, so I sold it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#21]
That’s not rack wear on those carry handles.  If you show me pictures of mushroomed out aluminum I might consider the idea, but I am pretty certain (like 99.5%) that didn’t happen from a banging around in a weapon rack.  Would not be that consistent for one thing.  

I carried 6520’s for years (and then a 6721, 6920, Bushmaster, HKG36, HK416, etc), and I own several.  Always on my list to grab if cheap.  

Locking racks typically latch over the handguard.  If they had some interference with their rack setup, they might have modified the carry handle (which is stupid- should fix the rack, add a spacer to the lock mount, etc).  But that isn’t from wear (banging around in the rack).  I have done a lot of modifications on vehicle weapon racks due to shitty installation jobs when the vehicle was rolled out, and a lot of dealing with the shops to try to get new cars outfitted all correctly from the beginning.  (I was the armorer and rifle instructor so when there was an issue it was always mentioned to me first.)  We had tons of issues with racks not being done in a standard manner year to year in the same model of vehicles.  Add in some different rifle models, and there was always some issue.  Some guns with short barrels we even had to carry muzzle down to get them into the rack and locked them in with a newer claw style lock around the buffer tube.

Point being- those were modified for some reason...but it isn’t wear.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

L would not mean light- as the pencil barrel was the standard weight.  Heavy barrels were marked HBAR.  I think L is for stamped LE only guns.  

LGC= Law Enf, Govt Carbine sounds plausible for the 6520 models....but then you have the problem of it not making any sense on the 6721 AR15A3 models, which seem to have an LBD prefix commonly.  And the 6520 and 6721 were the main models of the ban era, until the 6920 (Prefix LE) came out later and basically took over.  

So as typical with Colt, who knows.  I will believe LGC when someone comes up with what LBD would stand for.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, I had this very conversation with friends over the "rack wear" idea and 100% they said "nope, it was purposefully modified to fit a rack", like as if they outfitted new vehicles with flat-top optimized racks and then needed to put 6520's in so instead of modifying the racks, someone took a grinder to the CH.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That’s not rack wear on those carry handles.  If you show me pictures of mushroomed out aluminum I might consider the idea, but I am pretty certain (like 99.5%) that didn’t happen from a banging around in a weapon rack.  Would not be that consistent for one thing.  

I carried 6520’s for years (and then a 6721, 6920, Bushmaster, HKG36, HK416, etc), and I own several.  Always on my list to grab if cheap.  

Locking racks typically latch over the handguard.  If they had some interference with their rack setup, they might have modified the carry handle (which is stupid- should fix the rack, add a spacer to the lock mount, etc).  But that isn’t from wear (banging around in the rack).  I have done a lot of modifications on vehicle weapon racks due to shitty installation jobs when the vehicle was rolled out, and a lot of dealing with the shops to try to get new cars outfitted all correctly from the beginning.  (I was the armorer and rifle instructor so when there was an issue it was always mentioned to me first.)  We had tons of issues with racks not being done in a standard manner year to year in the same model of vehicles.  Add in some different rifle models, and there was always some issue.  Some guns with short barrels we even had to carry muzzle down to get them into the rack and locked them in with a newer claw style lock around the buffer tube.

View Quote

It certainly is (or was in the case of mg rifle). It was uneven and was mushroomed/smashed down. I cleaned it up with a rifle and light sanding before alumablack’ing mine.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top