Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2019 7:50:58 PM EDT
I have a 604 bulid that I put together with the help of the retro forum. After shooting this rifle for awhile, I have been thinking of changing out the 1x12 Colt skinny barrel for something that has a 1x7 twist. Is there such a thing as 1x7 20” Colt lwt barrel?

Any ideas??
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a 604 bulid that I put together with the help of the retro forum. After shooting this rifle for awhile, I have been thinking of changing out the 1x12 Colt skinny barrel for something that has a 1x7 twist. Is there such a thing as 1x7 20” Colt lwt barrel?

Any ideas??
View Quote
No. Brownells does have a 20" A1 profile barrel in 1-7 twist. These are made by Ballistic Advantage.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, will check that out. How good are the BA barrels?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
BA barrels are excellent and accurate.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good to hear, but for some reason, IIRC, I thought they were having accuracy issues? Or was that with Faxon? Too bad Colt doesn’t make a 20” lwt barrel, as Colt barrels, at least for me, have been good shooting barrels.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Too bad GM doesn’t make a 1x7 lwt barrel. That’s a good thread, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:24:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Colt did make A1 profile 1 in 7" twist barrels for certain models in the early "A2 family". I have one that I plan to use for a 604ish build on an original upper, with an NDS partial fence lower. The FSB is not correct for a 604, but I can live with that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:04:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Criterion also makes excellent A1 profile barrels in 1-8 twist for Fulton Armory.  Should be able to fire any modern ammo you want through it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 4:08:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, Colt did make 1-7 .625 barrel for the Colt 711.

There are some on gunbroker, but the guy wants like $800 for them.

McKay had some stripped ones a few years ago as well.

Part of the problem is the early ones (like McKay had) are marked the same as a standard M-16A1 barrel. " C MP CHROME BORE"
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No. Brownells does have a 20" A1 profile barrel in 1-7 twist. These are made by Ballistic Advantage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any ideas??
Mine is a laser to 300yds(furthest I’ve shot it so far), would highly recommend.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Any ideas??
View Quote
They are out there, but tough to find nowadays.....

I bought a few about 20 years ago from (now out of business) "Placer C.B.S.". They stated they were over-runs from an Israeli contract/purchase

Link Posted: 6/9/2019 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mine is a laser to 300yds(furthest I’ve shot it so far), would highly recommend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any ideas??
What ammo are you using?

ETA: Thanks for the additional information, fellas. Have some additional questions, but I am at work.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#14]
62g, 68g, and 77g.  Mostly the cheap ass AE 62g, it's obviously not as good as nicer PMC 68 and 77 but it's still very accurate for a non ff pencil bbl.

That's why I bought the 1-7, I actually shoot my guns and want to make sure I can find ammo that will produce good accuracy if there is a 193 shortage(for whatever reason).
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Criterion barrel is a wee spendy, but seems like a good barrel. The Brownells barrel has a more attractive price and is ready to go. The only negative about the Brownells barrel is that the threads are a bit tight on the muzzle.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good to hear, but for some reason, IIRC, I thought they were having accuracy issues? Or was that with Faxon? Too bad Colt doesn’t make a 20” lwt barrel, as Colt barrels, at least for me, have been good shooting barrels.
View Quote
I have a Faxon 1:8 and it is extremely accurate. I got one of the early ones and thought I would take a risk. So far, it has been a great barrel.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd rather spend a bit more and get what IMHO is a much superior barrel in the criterion.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Read this alot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only negative about the Brownells barrel is that the threads are a bit tight on the muzzle.
Read this alot.
I didn’t have an issue with mine, I had a extra Fulton A1 birdcagew/ split washer so I used it rather than buy the Brownells copy.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Read this alot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only negative about the Brownells barrel is that the threads are a bit tight on the muzzle.
Read this alot.
I should make a slight addendum to this... I discovered on my latest Brownells A1 barrel that it was only a slight burr that was causing certain flash suppressors to hang up, nothing that you would have to chase the threads with a die for, like on the older Brownells A1 Barrels.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Haven't heard of any issues with std birdcage type MDs, quite a few (>10) instances with mount type MDs.

Far from an issue with every bbl and far from an epidemic.  Just pointing it out.
View Quote
On the older barrels I had issues with the Smith Vortex, Forward Controls Design 6315 and Innovative Industries retro 3 prong flash suppressors.

The FCD 3615 and Innovative Ind. 3 prongs were the tightest of the three, the Vortex was just pretty snug.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a legit Colt A1 profile 1/7. Super rare...

Then I went and chopped the FSB into a low pro block and cerakoted it. Haha.

Anyway, they technically do exist. I believe they were destined for the Philippines IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a legit Colt A1 profile 1/7. Super rare...

Then I went and chopped the FSB into a low pro block and cerakoted it. Haha.

Anyway, they technically do exist. I believe they were destined for the Philippines IIRC.
View Quote
LOL. Any pics of the build?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Double post.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No want for a bbl that has to have the threads chased.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't heard of any issues with std birdcage type MDs, quite a few (>10) instances with mount type MDs.

Far from an issue with every bbl and far from an epidemic.  Just pointing it out.
On the older barrels I had issues with the Smith Vortex, Forward Controls Design 6315 and Innovative Industries retro 3 prong flash suppressors.

The FCD 3615 and Innovative Ind. 3 prongs were the tightest of the three, the Vortex was just pretty snug.
No want for a bbl that has to have the threads chased.  
Me neither, but I'm not mounting sound suppressors on any of these so I let it go.

I would go with Colt, Green Mountain or even Windham Weaponry if any of them offered a 20" 1/7 A1 profile barrel.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I will add this, I have four of the Brownells 20" A1 profile barrels, one of which is an older model, and I have had ZERO issues with them. You have to be wary of what you read and how much truth there is in it. Not all the time are the facts correct.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I will add this, I have four of the Brownells 20" A1 profile barrels, one of which is an older model, and I have had ZERO issues with them. You have to be wary of what you read and how much truth there is in it. Not all the time are the facts correct.
View Quote
Accuracy on par with a typical Colt barrel?
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:50:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

LOL. Any pics of the build?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Accuracy on par with a typical Colt barrel?
View Quote
I have other ARs with original Colt 1/12 barrels and I have not noticed any difference in accuracy between the Colt and Brownells/Ballistic Advantage 1/12 barrels. I do not know about any comparisons between a Colt 20" 1/7 lightweight barrel vs. the Brownells 20" 1/7 A1 pencil profile barrel.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is there such a thing as 1x7 20” Colt lwt barrel?

Any ideas??
View Quote
Yes, very rare and expensive.

Used on 703, 707, 711, and 719 series rifles.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Numrich had some  C MP marked ones a while back. Not sure if it's a Colt but it is 1/7 twist. If it is a Colt I had no idea it was kinda rare. Didn't pay that much for it if I remember correctly.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top