Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2018 1:11:19 PM EDT
My coworker has convinced himself that he must have a S&W MP15 Mid MOE. I've been trying to express that if he really wants to drop 900 bucks then to put the money into certain parts and save money on others. I showed him PSA stuff and quickly figured out that he was save a about 400 bucks by simply putting upper and lower together with a couple of clicks.

He says the only names he knows is Ruger Smith and Glock. It's going to be a range toy but it will be his only rifle, and I'll have to hear about it- er fix it if it goes down. Basically I'm looking for suggestions. I was thinking of showing him some railed uppers on PSA- or other low cost lowers. For him, he's bad about cleaning firearms. He's the sort of guy that never changes his oil, so I'm thinking a fancy finish on the BCG is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My coworker has convinced himself that he must have a S&W MP15 Mid MOE. I've been trying to express that if he really wants to drop 900 bucks then to put the money into certain parts and save money on others. I showed him PSA stuff and quickly figured out that he was save a about 400 bucks by simply putting upper and lower together with a couple of clicks.

He says the only names he knows is Ruger Smith and Glock. It's going to be a range toy but it will be his only rifle, and I'll have to hear about it- er fix it if it goes down. Basically I'm looking for suggestions. I was thinking of showing him some railed uppers on PSA- or other low cost lowers. For him, he's bad about cleaning firearms. He's the sort of guy that never changes his oil, so I'm thinking a fancy finish on the BCG is the way to go.
View Quote
Sounds like he's already made up his mind. If you convince him to do something else and it doesn't work out for him then YOU'LL hear about it all the time instead of just saying "I told you so." The Smith is fine, and if you don't want to fix it for him then just give him their customer support phone number and they'll do it. That's what the extra $400 is for, after all.

I used to build computers for people long ago (back in the days when "IRQ conflict" was a common issue) to save them some money, but then I was the only one who would fix them if they broke. I don't do that anymore. Their money isn't worth my time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Solid input. I had not considered the office politics side of the equation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
My first AR was a Spike's M4 that was cheaper than a S&W or comparable.  If he's got his mind on a factory gun there are other brands out there....
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just go buy the PSA stuff with the parts you want when they go on sale.

Or check out all the flashing ads around the top of the screen, and the bottom of the screen.....and the vendors in the vendors area....or all the other build threads available for you to read if you want to see what others have done.

_
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 3:52:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing at all wrong with that MOE model. I own one, in addition to other factory and home-built models. For your first and maybe only AR, many folks prefer a factory rifle to a Frankengun.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to build computers for people long ago (back in the days when "IRQ conflict" was a common issue) to save them some money, but then I was the only one who would fix them if they broke. I don't do that anymore. Their money isn't worth my time.
View Quote
My family all have DELL now. I know the pain of "Hey, this isnt working I need you to come see what's wrong with it" and 99% of the time, their kids installed all kinds of free shit, back in the days of P2P filesharing apps, Napster, Kazaa, etc.

OP- let him get the M&P. He will be happy. You wont have to listen to complaints.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Everyone should over pay and buy a complete rifle to realize their mistake.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#10]
He doesn't know the name Colt?

1st or only AR should be a Colt 6920 or 6720.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 1:10:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Guess not. A local pawn shop apparently told him, that while they will order him whatever he wants, they can't beat PSA stuff. I think I have him convinced now to just get an upper and lower and put them together.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He doesn't know the name Colt?

1st or only AR should be a Colt 6920 or 6720.
View Quote
Only if your main goal is to overpay.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
S&W is solid. I'd not steer him.

Not everybody wants to "build".
View Quote
This. I used to steer newbies toward builds and it turns in to an epic PITA about 82% of the time. Heck steering them toward a factory gun is a pain at times.

Let him spend the money.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Colt AR and 1k of M193< $1k

Damn square start, IMO.
View Quote
Well, just over $1k, and sure, he'd be getting a good gun, but that's not the point. He could spend ~$260 less on a Sport II and have a rig that'll serve him just as well, with money left over for a decent red dot and a sling. There's nothing wrong with paying for the Colt name, if that's what he wants, but practically speaking all he'd be getting for the extra money is the Colt roll mark. To each his own.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I've learned that you can feed someone all the info in the world but they're gonna get what they want. I'd show him some of the Aero guns, the Springfield Saint and some of the PSA stuff but ultimately he's gonna do what he is gonna do.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I know this thread is old but since someone else bumped it ...

If he knows the name Ruger you could at least steer him to the $600 MPR

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/199005/8514/ruger-ar-556-mpr-5.56mm-semi-automatic-multi-purpose-rifle

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#18]
The SW M&P is fine to start, but I think he can find a better deal than $900.
Or does this particular one have tacti-cool options?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#19]
It just has the MOE furniture on it. He still hasn't made his move. Although he did buy a Glock 19.5 while looking for an AR. lol.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top